Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 PM

172 posts, read 417,668 times

Advertisements

I'm an ex. Portland, Oregon resident and moved to NYC a few years ago for a job offer. NYC isn't my type of place, even though I grew up on the east coast, I feel more comfortable in the PNW. Portland's economy doesn't seem to have the economy I need to be successful in my career, I'm looking at Seattle.On the side I'm an artist and musician and rely on hipster/creative types for my side income. Portland's large influx of creative/lifestyle type types allowed me to make a side income. When I visited Seattle a few times, it was difficult to get a full vibe, I didn't have anyone to show me around.

Could someone compare creative types/hipsters/artists and musicians between Portland and Seattle? Is Seattle as much of a hot spot to move to as Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,238,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
I'm an ex. Portland, Oregon resident and moved to NYC a few years ago for a job offer. NYC isn't my type of place, even though I grew up on the east coast, I feel more comfortable in the PNW. Portland's economy doesn't seem to have the economy I need to be successful in my career, I'm looking at Seattle.On the side I'm an artist and musician and rely on hipster/creative types for my side income. Portland's large influx of creative/lifestyle type types allowed me to make a side income. When I visited Seattle a few times, it was difficult to get a full vibe, I didn't have anyone to show me around.

Could someone compare creative types/hipsters/artists and musicians between Portland and Seattle? Is Seattle as much of a hot spot to move to as Portland?
I'm not nearly as familiar with Portland as I am Seattle, but I do know that Seattle is crawling with hipster creative types. People make their livings as artists/writers/musicians/artisans in both places. But I think it's a bit of a tradeoff. Portland may be a bit mellower and the economy is not as good as Seattle's. Therefore Portland might have a slightly higher percentage of the population who focus on artistic things, and Seattle might have a slightly higher percentage of the population who focus on making money.
But I think the people of Seattle and Portland have a lot more in common than they have differences.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,568,770 times
It depends on what you term creative. Portland prides itself on being the most creative place around, and I guess that's right - if your definition of creative is drum circles, didgeridoos, hemp art, "interpretive dance" and other hippie types of "creativity", then yeah, Portland has Seattle beat in spades.

If your definition of creative are things like orchestra, modern art, varied music, etc. then PDX doesn't have a whole lot to offer.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 AM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 588,161 times
Portland and Seattle are similar yet different. Both do have kind of a different vibe. They are both unique in their own way. I think you would enjoy the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. Fremont, Wallingford, and Ballard are also good. In Portland I like the Pearl District and Nob Hill. Lots of options for you.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

172 posts, read 417,668 times
Well unfortunately, I'm at the age where I need to work a real job, Portland doesn't really have too many real jobs for me. Music is still a bit part of my life, though.

I guess I'm similar to the musicians mentioned in this article.
Why Portland is America's indie rock Mecca. - By Taylor Clark - Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2173729/pagenum/all/ - broken link)

I'm just not too sure if Seattle attracts too many independent artists these days, compared to Chicago, Portland and San Fran.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,238,947 times
I'm just not too sure if Seattle attracts too many independent artists these days, compared to Chicago, Portland and San Fran.

Do you already have your mind made up, or are you here trying to find out?
There's less of an art scene in Seattle than in San Francisco or Chicago, but there are still plenty of independent artists here of all types. And while Seattle may be more "corporate" with Microsoft, Amazon, and Starbucks headquartered here, artists are not required to adhere to the corporate standards, or include the Starbucks logo on all their paintings, etc.
Have you spent time in Seattle exploring the creative scene? Maybe you should make another reconnaissance trip with guidance this time. One tip: Check out the Georgetown neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 588,161 times
Georgetown and Columbia City both have an artsy feel.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 AM

381 posts, read 858,708 times
Capitol Hill and Ballard have lots of artistic, creative people living there and a fully developed infrastructure. Georgetown and Columbia City have TONS of artists but area bit more sparse and isolated.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,122,435 times
What do you mean by 'hipster' ????? Is that all those kooky people with funny hair, nose rings and tatoos you see walking around Broadway and the U-Dist. OH, we got plenty of those !!!!! Which city out does the other is hard to say. Both Portland and Seattle have plenty of artists and musicians. If you are an artist, like I've been all my life, you will find studio rental space much cheaper in Portland then in Seattle. Pioneer Sq. used to be the artist's hang-out, but no longer, it's now too chique and expensive.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM

260 posts, read 755,352 times
Pioneer Square is still one of the premier art gallery districts in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area