Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 AM

95 posts, read 258,400 times

Advertisements

It was the same way in san francisco. Why isn't there that much fast food or chain restaurants in Seattle? Do most people here not like those kind of places? Most cities in america have these places everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
They definitely have them.

However, fastfood in general has almost no nutrional value whatsoever. I think its just the kind of people that Seattle and San Francisco attract...the kind have interest in general health issues.

But if you are looking for junkfood and fastfood, they are definitely throughout Seattle and Washington just the same. 'Burgerville' is my favorite NW chain, great halibut and chips

Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
It's all an economic decision. There are too many yummy eats in SF that no one would want to eat at McDonalds or BK. Those places would not do well there.

Most smaller towns across the US don't have the restaurant selection that SF or Seattle have, therefore Chili's and Applebee's are the best places in town.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
It's all an economic decision. There are too many yummy eats in SF that no one would want to eat at McDonalds or BK. Those places would not do well there.

Most smaller towns across the US don't have the restaurant selection that SF or Seattle have, therefore Chili's and Applebee's are the best places in town.
That pretty much sums it up. When I lived in SF and NYC, I never went to fastfood restaurants. Mostly because you literally have 10000s of choices....of every different kind of food. So fastfood is just one of thousands of choices.

When I visit home back in Michigan, most of it is all fastfood and chains....there aren't any other choices.

That being said, all those chains are all over WA & CA...so if a person has limited food interests and prefers chains, you can find them. They just aren't popular or interesting, once a person starts expanding his eating options.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Most US chains are just too bland and fattening to do well in these cities. However we have plenty of "covert" chains like Rock Bottom, Mexico Cantina, Gordon Beirsch, etc.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
There are plenty of chains in Seattle. They just aren't clustered together at major intersections and freeway off-ramps like they are in the suburbs.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But if you are looking for junkfood and fastfood, they are definitely throughout Seattle and Washington just the same. 'Burgerville' is my favorite NW chain, great halibut and chips
The only place where I ever seen Burgerville is in Vancouver, WA (3 hours south of Seattle) and one in Portland OR. Seattle doesn't have a Burgerville and there isn't one near Seattle. Burgerville is not even that great.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
You can go to a McDonald's, Olive Garden, Burger King, Jack In The Box, Taco Bell, etc. in Seattle or SF, but as other people have noted, the general question is more "why would you want to?"

There are so many local options that are better than these chains... I'll admit it: once in a blue moon, I'd get a craving for Taco Bell that only Taco Bell could satisfy - not a craving for Mexican, but a craving for Taco Bell. I'd drive to the late-night Taco Bell on Aurora, order a Cheesy Bean and Rice "burrito," and smile big. I also have to say that in Seattle, I preferred Qdoba and Chipotle to most of the local offerings: Mama's was wicked good, and El Camion (a trailer in the parking lot of the Home Depot on Aurora next to the Washelli Cemetery) was one of the best Mexican places I've been to anywhere.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 AM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
It was the same way in san francisco. Why isn't there that much fast food or chain restaurants in Seattle? Do most people here not like those kind of places? Most cities in america have these places everywhere.
#1 Because people in San Francisco and Seattle have lots of fabulous local restaurants that serve 5 star food (especially in San Francisco), so why buy a $2 heart burn from some joint with a plastic roof selling stale, flash frozen, low grade assembly line slop?

#2 Because these residents' taste buds are used to fresh, local ingredients like avocados, garlic, king crab and copper river salmon so when they taste that salted down, corn syrupy, hormone injected crap served in restaurant chains they can taste the difference.

#3 Because they understand the value of supporting local businesses over big, mom and pop-crushing multinational corporations that own fast food companies and don't care about your arteries clogging with trans fats.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post

Uhhh, where have you been?
In the Seattle area there about 70 McDonald's, 57 Domino's, 4 Olive Garden's, 45 Taco Bell's, etc, etc, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area