U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,145,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Did you notice that I said nothing about the size of your house...why are you being so defensive about it?

Did you notice that I said nothing about living in the "center city"? Please don't put words in my mouth.

FYI, there is an ever growing number of empty nesters moving to the city...because that is what they want to.
Did you notice there are more people commenting in the thread than just you, and it's easier to put multiple thoughts in one post? Why are you being so defensive about it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,885,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

If you go further out there
are some nice areas with much lower prices, if you are willing to commute.

403 Pasco Place NE, Renton, WA 98059 | MLS# 67652

Jimminy, what a bum ugly house. Gah.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 AM

304 posts, read 796,037 times
@Usernametaken, oops! I misread your comment. Yes, contacts are infinitely more valuable here than online applications. Seattle is a big city but it is a small town at the same time. You'll run into the same people all the time at industry events. The best investment you can make is to get your business cards ready soon after you arrive. Give them to everybody you meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The mistake many self-righteous Seattleites make is they automatically assume that if someone like Xanathos buys a huge house, his priorities are somehow out of whack. Who's to say that's true? It's nonsense to leap to that conclusion. Maybe an Escalade was a recently-deceased uncle's prize possession. There can be such a passive-aggressive conformity at times.

Preachy people are a turnoff, whatever they are preaching.
That's true of people in general wherever they are. In San Francisco you will be splashed with paint for wearing a fur coat out on the street but the activists who do that never stop to consider whether you are actually wearing a vintage coat and thus did something to save the environment by reusing something.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM

57 posts, read 206,703 times
Michigan vs. Seattle - I'll take the Seattle area anytime! You have water, mountains, bike trails, wetlands, forests etc etc. It is a different life and people are willing to pay for it so housing prices are higher. You should have been here in 2006! Today Seattle is on sale! Consider suburbs as your money will stretch farther. A 0 lot line townhome in West Seattle starts at $200K for 3 bed 2 ba with no dues and on the busline puts you downtown Seattle in minutes or head across the pond to Kirkland/Bothell. Bothell 98011 zip is a good area for bargain homes starting at $300K for 3 bed 2 ba 1500 sq ft home and easy access to the waterfront, freeways, bridges etc. You can save further heading farther North to Canyon Park if you don't mind commuting. It is all a choice of what lifestyle you would like to live. I live on 2.7 acres in the Woodinville area - country bumpkin myself with a huge garden and lots of birds, trees, wildlife etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,341,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
@Usernametaken, oops! I misread your comment. Yes, contacts are infinitely more valuable here than online applications. Seattle is a big city but it is a small town at the same time. You'll run into the same people all the time at industry events. The best investment you can make is to get your business cards ready soon after you arrive. Give them to everybody you meet.

That's true of people in general wherever they are. In San Francisco you will be splashed with paint for wearing a fur coat out on the street but the activists who do that never stop to consider whether you are actually wearing a vintage coat and thus did something to save the environment by reusing something.
Or are wearing a sacred family heirloom that was killed for fur in the Roosevelt administration, before most of the activists were even born.

When everyone was making money in the 90's and admins had stock ticker crawl lines on their PCs, where was the "live simply" refrain? It wasn't there.

At various points in life, you become an accumulator and a divestor, unless you are one of those hoarders that live in a place furnished with catalogs. Like I said, preachy people are an annoyance. Their whole underlying theme is "I would spend my money in other ways" wrt large houses, cars, etc. I don't tell other people how to spend their money and I expect the same from them.

There is nothing wrong with living simply or being a green advocate, mind you, but everyone gets to make that choice.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,629 posts, read 62,884,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Jimminy, what a bum ugly house. Gah.
In this area that's what $339,00 buys.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM

263 posts, read 497,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Er0si0n View Post
Ok, so my fiance and I have been thinking about moving out of Michigan, to the west coast.

Two of the places that popped into our minds was Seattle and San Fran.

I'm 26 years old, and a Computer Engineer. I make 72k/year which in Michigan is pretty good money for my age. It has enabled me to buy my first house a year ago, a nearly 3,000 sq ft home, for 180k. I have a 2009 car, that I bought brand new, and and able to pay for all of this on my salary and live comfortably.

I hopped on some real estate sites last night, to check what would be comparable places in Seattle. To my shock, for the same price that I paid for my huge house, I could maybe get a 450 sq ft house that looks like a dump in Seattle. I saw some places I could rent for a little more than I pay now, but I don't want to throw my money away renting, I like being a home-owner.

To get to anything that looked livable by my standards, were about a half million dollars.

So my question is, how? -- how do you people in Seattle afford to live there? Are you just happy living in a small bed room sized house? (I don't see how I could comfortably raise a family living in something like that). Do you just make that much money that you can afford those prices? Do people not really "live" in Seattle, but surrounding areas, where maybe prices/houses are more realistic? (For instance, if I meet someone out of state, I tell them I live in Detroit, but actually am like 30 min northeast of Detroit).

Please provide some insight and hope for us, it seems like our moving dreams were crushed upon finding out this information.
Michigan is dirt cheap. Desirable places to live are expensive. You also mentioned San Francisco, which is far more expensive than Seattle. For reference, Seattle is more expensive than even Chicago, which is the most expensive place in the Midwest by a large margin. Salaries are higher on the West Coast, the weather is preferable, and the outdoor activities are far better. For the most part, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,341,468 times
Macomb County and SF are WORLDS apart.

I guess it's up to the OP to decide if the tradeoff is worth it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,914,024 times
Why are you spending all of your money and not saving? Why do you need 3000 square feet?

Housing here is expensive due to zoning laws. They want the city to actually be a city and not a mess of urban decay.

How would you do it? Best way is to rent a house with people. You'd pay 5 or 6 hundred and live with friends. You wouldn't need a car and there's no salt here. Old cars work great. Plus you'd live in an awesome city.

Life is not about material things.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,046,185 times
We were in our late 30's when we moved here and held real estate previously that appreciated and we had $$ saved up, plus my husband has hit a higher level in his career so his salary to cost ratio is much better. Could never have afforded to buy anything here in our 20's and we both had really good jobs. Renting is just fine though and it's debatable as to whether a home owned for personal use is really an "investment" anymore. You should just come out and try it for a while renting and see if you even like it enough to stay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area