Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,689 times

Advertisements

We're a 4-person family who wants to move off of the Peninsula to the north of Seattle or Eastside to a great middle (or JH) and high school area an hour or so's commute to the airport (husband travels), a relatively safe, community-oriented area where teens can ride bikes, run, etc. We'd also like a school with an excellent band, arts, honors + AP or IB classes, drug-reduced, safe and challenging learning environment. We'd like a 2200-3000 sq." house with a flat yard for the dog and trampoline and sports where it doesn't flood and you can't hear the highway, a house from $300 - $400,000 that doesn't need many repairs. We're looking at the Northshore area, mainly, though we're open, as it might be too expensive there. What's it like to actually live and attend school in Kenmore or Woodinville? I've driven around those areas a bit and have gone to greatschools.org and the school websites, plus visited. Maybe Snohomish has something, too? Any ideas or suggestions? Please comment. We've been looking for awhile but feel like we're missing something

Last edited by denise8; 02-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: needs more specific words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM

20 posts, read 139,065 times
From co-workers I have heard great things about Mill Creek (safe, lots of parks, and great shopping). Looking at greatschools.net Mill Creek schools are rated very well. The town is also close to i-5 if you have to commute to Seattle. The airport is approximately 1 hour south.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM

20 posts, read 139,065 times
I also here good things about Maple Valley and the Tahoma school district. It's about 45 minutes southest of Seattle and the commute to the airport would probaby be around 30 minutes, depending on traffic. Price-wise housing is very reasonable. You can get a newer 2500-3200 sq/ft for $325-375K. Lot sizes are fairly small but there are plenty of parks and trails.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,689 times
Maple Valley, Tahoma, Mill Creek...hmmm. We haven't checked those places yet. I'll check with greatschools.org (or is it .net?) and look into it more. We were thinking of the north side rather than the south side, for some reason. We currently have 1/3 of an acre and could go smaller but not miniscule. I want a sportsy, artsy, education-minded area. We really want a great school, though not necessarily homogenous and stuffy, more friendly and ambitious. Again, I'll check your suggestions.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 31,908 times
Go with the North Shore school district in the Woodinville/Mill Creek area. You definitely don't want south side, and Bellevue S.D. can get stuffy.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
The Clearview area south of Snohomish on Highway 9, puts you in the Glacier Peak School district, you are equal distance to 405 & I5, Mill Creek, Woodinville and Snohomish.Highly recommend it.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
I think the flat yard requirement make it a bit more cumbersome, the area is very hilly. If it's a flat area, then there's a possibility of flooding. We have lots of dog parks.

Northshore SD is a good one. Can't go wrong with any of the Eastside school districts. Snohomish SD is decent as well. I'm surprised there's no mention of Edmonds SD, Mukilteo SD or Shoreline SD--- they're good school districts as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 42,470 times
We live in Mill Creek, and purchased our home here after extensive research on schools and knowing how much house we could afford. We were leary of Everett School District, but figured the parent factor in Mill Creek would support a more challenging environment. The area is nice - close to everything you want/need, low crime but not non-existent, and parents who generally care about education. Music seems lacking in the elementary area, but there appears a very strong program at Jackson High School. Our kids are early elem., so I don't have too much knowledge of middle/high school. The new Glacier Peak High (Snohomish) has great parental reviews from friends, but the rest of Snohomish SD is prob. not what you're looking for. I think Bellevue SD's curriculum is top-notch, but agree that depending on the area, it is "stuffy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area