Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM

95 posts, read 258,452 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in Seattle but work in Kirkland. The commute is possible but takes awhile, esp during rush hour, and buses don't run that often from there. I eventually want to get a car. But for now, should I move out there? Should I go to Bellevue college instead of Seattle Central, because Bellevue is closer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Starting next month that commute would cost you $7 a day for the bridge toll
if you got a car.

Bellevue College is probably going to get you a better education, but because of it's location near I90 it's actually a long drive (time, not miles) from Kirkland. If you can get most of your classes at the Northup Way campus, it's just outside the Kirkland border.

If you like Seattle for the night life, Downtown Kirkland is pretty active, especially in the summer time.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 02-12-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Its more difficult to get around by bus on the Eastside (not impossible...just difficult). Getting to BC from Kirkland involves at least 1 transfer.
The Northup Way campus only has a few programs. Many are geared towards corporate training, not degree programs.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
If you can get most of your classes at the Northup Way campus, it's just outside the Kirkland border.
Would be a good idea, except the Northup Way campus is gone. They're finishing up a new " north campus" located a couple of miles east of the existing campus, around NE 148th ST and 20 something Avenue. Should be open this spring.
I wouldn't want to live in Kirkland and commute to Seattle. I'd move closer, whether it was Kirkland itself, or Juanita, or Redmond, or Bellevue.
Also, see if the courses you are studying might be available at Lake Washington Technical College. Closer than Bellevue.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM

24 posts, read 43,590 times
I can't speak about curriculum programs at Bellevue Community College or LW Technical College, but I've taken a few decent night classes/extra-curricular seminars at both. You might want to talk to people who are in the curriculum programs that you're interested in to find out more.

If you're looking for a walkable area, downtown Kirkland is pretty decent (albeit pricey), with restaurants, parks, small movie theater, bagel store, book store, grocery store, etc. The dynamics are different in the winter and summer (winter is fairly quiet/reflective and summer is crowded/lively). There are some seasonal events: Wednesday market (late spring to early fall), summer concert series, 4th of July fireworks/parade, racing (bicycle/running) events, little league parade, wine/art festival, treelighting, etc.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 PM

95 posts, read 258,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkCTDel View Post
If you're looking for a walkable area, downtown Kirkland is pretty decent (albeit pricey), with restaurants, parks, small movie theater, bagel store, book store, grocery store, etc. The dynamics are different in the winter and summer (winter is fairly quiet/reflective and summer is crowded/lively). There are some seasonal events: Wednesday market (late spring to early fall), summer concert series, 4th of July fireworks/parade, racing (bicycle/running) events, little league parade, wine/art festival, treelighting, etc.
Downtown Kirkland isn't far from where I work. What other areas on the eastside are walkable for living areas and close to public transit?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM

11 posts, read 64,819 times
Have you considered going to Cascadia Community College? It is probably a bit easier to get to on the bus than Bellevue College from Kirkland. I highly suggest to anyone to live on the side of the lake they work on. Crossing the lake every morning is just no fun at all.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:27 PM

24 posts, read 43,590 times
Default Other walkable areas on the Eastside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
Downtown Kirkland isn't far from where I work. What other areas on the eastside are walkable for living areas and close to public transit?
You might look into downtown Bellevue and downtown Redmond. They both have transit centers of some sort, but I don't know many details about their routes. They both appear to have basic walkable amenties: grocery, drug stores, restaurants, etc.

I can't speak from recent personal experience - I haven't lived in Bellevue and it's been a loong time since I've in Redmond. It would be great if you could get input from people living there now, check out the Metro routes, and also spend some time afoot in both.

Bellevue can be a bit formal, but some people like its restaurants and bars. Redmond has grown a lot - it has a Trader Joe's and more restaurants (plus nearby Redmond Town Center & Bella Botega) - but it's hard to tell by car how connected/far everything is (or isn't). I'm partial to Kirkland cause of the access to Lake Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area