U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM

93 posts, read 138,471 times
Last time we visited the Seattle area for a week, it was in the 30s every day with constant rain/snow. The layers thing is key. All I wore most days was a t-shirt, long sleeve flannel-type shirt, and a light, water-resistant jacket. The jacket (Dockers brand I think) was completely style neutral, as in it is completely unremarkable. I think I got it at Kohl's on sale. I had a knit hat which was mostly sufficient to keep my head dry. Not the best choice but it worked. My shoes are high top, WATERPROOF (allegedly), but completely normal looking (not clunky hiking style). They are Cole Haan bought on clearance around $40. Kept my feet bone dry and warm even in the snow, and supremely comfortable. We hit Rainier, Leavenworth, Seattle, Bainbridge and lots of points in between. There was always precipitation, and temps in most of those locations were close to freezing. I stayed dry and warm with good capability to regulate temperature by removing layers or buttoning/zipping up. You can dress cheaply but effectively, and you don't have to look like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM

30 posts, read 53,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFat View Post
Last time we visited the Seattle area for a week, it was in the 30s every day with constant rain/snow. The layers thing is key. All I wore most days was a t-shirt, long sleeve flannel-type shirt, and a light, water-resistant jacket. The jacket (Dockers brand I think) was completely style neutral, as in it is completely unremarkable. I think I got it at Kohl's on sale. I had a knit hat which was mostly sufficient to keep my head dry. Not the best choice but it worked. My shoes are high top, WATERPROOF (allegedly), but completely normal looking (not clunky hiking style). They are Cole Haan bought on clearance around $40. Kept my feet bone dry and warm even in the snow, and supremely comfortable. We hit Rainier, Leavenworth, Seattle, Bainbridge and lots of points in between. There was always precipitation, and temps in most of those locations were close to freezing. I stayed dry and warm with good capability to regulate temperature by removing layers or buttoning/zipping up. You can dress cheaply but effectively, and you don't have to look like everyone else.
This was a great post, thank you! I decided not to go crazy with trying to find a mystical-magical-perfect-for-any-type-of-Seattle-weather jacket just yet. I got a waterproof (alledgedly) trench-style hooded jacket that wasn't too expensive. The jacket felt pretty warm, and I bought it with enough room to layer if necessary. I also ended up going to the Cole Haan outlet and scoring a couple of waterproof yet attractive boots. If I still feel I need something more waterproof/warmer/etc then I'll get it, but I think my current idea will be effective (and will still fit my personal style preference).

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM

56 posts, read 65,535 times
North Face jackets are everywhere. Wish they made them without the gigantic logos though.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM

12,566 posts, read 12,545,197 times
I just spent four days/nights in Seattle and it is indeed funny how many people wear North Face. Just as prominently as frat boys wear Izod or Polo.

I think Columbia outerwear is very good and a bit cheaper. Lots of choices for rain protection and layering for warmth. I think if I lived in Seattle I would consciously choose not to wear North Face "just because." Not per se rational but I see nothing really special in it.

I don't think Seattle people per se dress badly. But I come from Austin which is very casual and not very fashion conscious. I certainly didn't see anyone that dazzled me with their choice of clothes - either men or women.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,991,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I just spent four days/nights in Seattle and it is indeed funny how many people wear North Face. Just as prominently as frat boys wear Izod or Polo.

I think Columbia outerwear is very good and a bit cheaper. Lots of choices for rain protection and layering for warmth. I think if I lived in Seattle I would consciously choose not to wear North Face "just because." Not per se rational but I see nothing really special in it.

I don't think Seattle people per se dress badly. But I come from Austin which is very casual and not very fashion conscious. I certainly didn't see anyone that dazzled me with their choice of clothes - either men or women.
The anti-conformist conformist. Funny.

Maybe because North Face makes good, durable products?

My jacket lasted me 15 years. Invest in good clothing and you'll get a lot of life out of it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM

452 posts, read 442,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The anti-conformist conformist. Funny.

Maybe because North Face makes good, durable products?

My jacket lasted me 15 years. Invest in good clothing and you'll get a lot of life out of it.
Choices in clothing aren't always rational, right? And yes I understand North Face makes good gear. But it's funny how some people will automatically choose the favorite, when there are so many good choices, possibly equal or better.

Millions of people buy Toyota Camrys. A perfectly good car. A safe and popular choice. But so many others to choose from that are indeed better.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,991,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Choices in clothing aren't always rational, right? And yes I understand North Face makes good gear. But it's funny how some people will automatically choose the favorite, when there are so many good choices, possibly equal or better.

Millions of people buy Toyota Camrys. A perfectly good car. A safe and popular choice. But so many others to choose from that are indeed better.
I'd dispute the notion that there are many other better options in that class range (Camry). Yes, some people follow the crowds, but when something is a best seller, it's usually for a reason.

Everyone has their own comfort level. If I like something, I buy it, and don't give a rat's starfish who else likes it or care what others think.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM

12,566 posts, read 12,545,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I'd dispute the notion that there are many other better options in that class range (Camry). Yes, some people follow the crowds, but when something is a best seller, it's usually for a reason.

Everyone has their own comfort level. If I like something, I buy it, and don't give a rat's starfish who else likes it or care what others think.
moderator cut: ...the Camry has degenerated into a very ordinary, very bland (well - it has always been that), and mediocre car. It is very much a follow the herd vehicle.

But this thread isn't about cars so I'll stop.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-03-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,241,664 times
moderator cut:

Right! Isn't it about rain jackets?
So let me bring it back on topic...
I was following the various opinions on this thread about what jackets are suitable for Seattle rains ... and next thing I knew, I was online, looking up "rain jackets"...and I found one I liked (it's pink, waterproof, and cheap) ... and I ordered it ... and I like it!
So, as soon as my house sells and I move up to the PNW, I will have the perfect jacket ... THANKS TO THIS THREAD!!!

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-03-2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: quote removed because of orphaned text

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM

30 posts, read 53,722 times
I love you Seattleites - a very opinionated but intelligent (at least when compared to some people I've come across in the Southeast) bunch.

Any way, I'm here in Seattle now, and based on this thread, I got the perfect jacket -- waterproof, slightly heavy (but not too heavy), nicely fitted but with enough room to layer underneath, and with a hood. Ended up getting it on sale for pretty cheap. It wasn't a North Face, but certainly does the job (and is stylish enough that I don't mind wearing it everyday).

And just to interject my 2 cents in the car debate, I drive a great, nicely styled car that has over 100,000 miles on it but has only cost me $25 in repairs (excluding regular maintenance) since I've had it. It's a 2005 Nissan Altima.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area