Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM

282 posts, read 803,896 times

Advertisements

This type of talk, from either extreme of ideology, really bothers me. Why? Because you're playing right into the "system" that both extremes claim to hate. The 10% to 15% "extremes" of either direction simply foster hate and conceit and are fueled by extreme politicians and media personalities who have a vested interest in keeping the hate alive. This is a problem associated with both policital extremes, mind you.

If you assert a political position that causes you to hate a large portion of your fellow Americans, then I would highly suggest you reconsider it. The political discourse should exist to challenge one another, to sharpen one another, and to better one another. No one group "has it all right." We need each other so that we can be greater than the sum of our parts.

When anyone claims that we should divide up the country on politics, we lose what makes us strong: we lose our blending of ideas and the continual sharpening of ourselves which comes about from interacting and living with those around us, even those who have different ideas. I would encourage you, as a professed liberal, to embrace the "equality" and "acceptance" you claim you want and apply it to all Americans, not just select groups.

To simply change what group is the persecuted group from generation to generation does nothing. If you want humanity to grow, start with yourself before looking at society (I say this to myself as well as to you).

Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,950,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I guess the OP doesn't consider tolerant as a positive quality. The OP sounds incredibly INTOLERANT. So if someone doesn't share the same views they should keep their mouth shut or leave?
Ever been to Oklahoma? Kansas? South Dakota? Lets see how "tolerant" those places can be to people who are liberal.

But yes, I agree, if one a homophobe and for some reason you find yourself living in Seattle, they should either keep your views to yourself or you should leave.

Quote:
Is the OP truly "abortion loving?" Is that really what he/she meant? Do you really truly believe a society that values mankind thinks it is OK to abort 1.2 million pregancies per year in the US?
If abortion is murder, than masturbation is genocide. A fetus is nothing but sperm and an egg getting together. Just as it's not murder when I do with my sperm cells what ever I want to, it's not murder when a woman does with her embryo what ever she wants to.

Human life is human life, but a pile a goo in a placenta is NOT a life...that man on death row pleading to be given a chance, who's probably innocent anyway? Now that's a life.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM

482 posts, read 1,326,387 times
I am an extremely liberal person living in "intolerant red state" Nebraska, which you have probably never been to, and have no problem here. There is no conservative gestapo crucifying people on the streets. There are tons of liberal people and Omaha's electoral vote went to Obama. I don't think that you are liberal at all, just very upset. I hope that you won't be upset forever because that would be a waste of your precious time on earth.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post

If you assert a political position that causes you to hate a large portion of your fellow Americans, then I would highly suggest you reconsider it. The political discourse should exist to challenge one another, to sharpen one another, and to better one another. No one group "has it all right." We need each other so that we can be greater than the sum of our parts.

When anyone claims that we should divide up the country on politics, we lose what makes us strong: we lose our blending of ideas and the continual sharpening of ourselves which comes about from interacting and living with those around us, even those who have different ideas. I would encourage you, as a professed liberal, to embrace the "equality" and "acceptance" you claim you want and apply it to all Americans, not just select groups.
Here's the problem: I do not live in the same country as people from the Deep South. Honestly, from a sociological prospective, what does your average citizen of New England or the Puget Sound have in common with your average Mississippian? Aside from (arguably) a common language, NOTHING.

I am all for America dissolving into smaller nation-states. I for one do not like the idea of states in which more than half of the residents do not believe in evolution having a say in how my state is run.

If they want to have an insane fundamentalist society that has no environmental regulations and a bunch of other nonsensical laws, let them. If the south was allowed to form another Confederacy they could be out of our hair forever.

I have been to the south multiple times and I can tell you we are not the same people. We in Seattle have more in common with Canadians than we do with Alabamans.

Oh, and if you don't believe me, Mississippi actually says that no one is allowed to hold elected office if they don't believe in a supreme being, section 265 of their constitution

CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI

Why should I consider a place like that to be the same country as Washington State, where an Atheist isn't allowed to hold office?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
I am an extremely liberal person living in "intolerant red state" Nebraska, which you have probably never been to, and have no problem here. There is no conservative gestapo crucifying people on the streets. There are tons of liberal people and Omaha's electoral vote went to Obama.
I have been to Nebraska, passing through.

So, I suppose you can tell me with a straight face that two men casually walking down the streets of Nebraska while holding hands would be treated just as nonchalantly as they would in Seattle? Or interracial couples? Or I suppose a non-Christian or an atheist would be treated the same there as they would in Seattle?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM

[quote=seattlenextyear;18101128]I dunno. I'm liberal, but I think living in an area with a mix of political beliefs is healthy. It would be better for the entire country if both red and blue states were less extremely split. More liberals in the red areas, more conservatives in the blue areas. They balance things out.
[quote]

Or better yet, just let them have their own country, and we have ours. I'm personally keen on the idea of Washington, Oregon and Northern California breaking off and forming our own damn republic (Cascadia)

Imagine a world without Texas as part of the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeUNTwg2KfQ

Quote:
The worst part about Red America is the restaurant choices. Omaha is decidedly lacking in gastropubs with duck confit sliders. And I'm not sure how people even survive there without single origin coffee beans.
I agree 100%. Even their grocery stores suck. How can you live without a place to buy real salmon, fresh herbs, udon noodles, quinoa and seaweed?

We have Central Market....they have the Piggly Wiggly.
Nough said

Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM

918 posts, read 1,689,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Here's the problem: I do not live in the same country as people from the Deep South. Honestly, from a sociological prospective, what does your average citizen of New England or the Puget Sound have in common with your average Mississippian?
Plenty. We like the same sports, celebrate the same holidays, and a portion of our citizens serves in the same armed forces. It's not all blue and red.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,913,089 times
Quote:
Or better yet, just let them have their own country, and we have ours. I'm personally keen on the idea of Washington, Oregon and Northern California breaking off and forming our own damn republic (Cascadia)
Imagine a world without Texas as part of the US:
So, you favor a place where everyone thinks the same way? Sounds incredibly boring! Sort of like having ice-cream morning, noon and night.

And as for Texas, I spent 7 years there, and loved it. And yes, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM

482 posts, read 1,326,387 times
Quote:

I agree 100%. Even their grocery stores suck. How can you live without a place to buy real salmon, fresh herbs, udon noodles, quinoa and seaweed?

We have Central Market....they have the Piggly Wiggly.
Nough said
Wow. While I admit that it is hard to get good salmon here, we don't live in the 1950's. We have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and many local health markets/co-ops. I had quinoa for dinner the other night. There are plenty of gay people in Omaha, and they are not beaten just for stepping outside. Same is true for inter-racial couples. You are making it sound like Seattle is the only place that is enlightened enough to treat people nicely. That is not true. There are good and bad things about every city. While the scenery in Seattle may be better than here in Omaha, traffic there is a nightmare, which to me is not a good thing at all. You get the point.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,812,782 times
Quote:
Ever been to Oklahoma? Kansas? South Dakota? Lets see how "tolerant" those places can be to people who are liberal.
I've been there... Folks were nice. It wasn't because I wore a sign on me head saying I'm Conservative. They didn't know my ideology and I don't know theirs. They just were nice helpful folks, the definition of salt of the earth.

Quote:
I have been to Nebraska, passing through.

So, I suppose you can tell me with a straight face that two men casually walking down the streets of Nebraska while holding hands would be treated just as nonchalantly as they would in Seattle? Or interracial couples? Or I suppose a non-Christian or an atheist would be treated the same there as they would in Seattle?
Why don't you tell us with a straight face what happens? I mean, from your observation during your brief time in Nebraska. Not what you "heard".

Hate crimes happen here in Seattle as well... Hate crimes do happen in every city that's Liberal just as well. Hate is hate and happens everywhere, regardless of political ideology of a city/state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area