U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 14,044 times

Advertisements

I am moving soon to seattle suburb and just learned that i had to have a certification in education to be able to teach as a substite. here in kansas they require 62 credits hours, and a 2 days training and you're good to go. I have a bachelor in business admnistration with no experience. and the only thing beside raising my children (:-) which a full time job)is working as my kids scholl either as sub or just helping around the school when ever I could.
any suggestions will be appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,273,364 times
Yes, you need a teaching certificate.

Since you're ESL, you might want to look into teaching or aiding ESL classes and programs for recent immigrants.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,479,468 times
By state law, YES. However you can get a teaching assistant job without a state teachers certificate. I'm not sure but I think teacher certification is require by all of the states in this country.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,562,624 times
Well Kansas has a much lower bar to cross when it comes to education. Here we don't have the throngs of uneducated masses thinking that evolution is less of a theory than creationism . If Kansas only needs 62 credit hours and a couple days training, sheesh, no wonder that state is in such poor shape.

Judging from your grammar, lack of punctuation, misspellings, and obvious inability to research your future job market BEFORE moving here, tells me the state is better off without you teaching. We need and desire educated and intelligent teachers. I wouldn't want my kids being taught by someone who doesn't know how to use grammar or know how to spell "school."

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 AM

259 posts, read 417,505 times
[quote=eskercurve;18554650]Well Kansas has a much lower bar to cross when it comes to education. Here we don't have the throngs of uneducated masses thinking that evolution is less of a theory than creationism . If Kansas only needs 62 credit hours and a couple days training, sheesh, no wonder that state is in such poor shape.

Judging from your grammar, lack of punctuation, misspellings, and obvious inability to research your future job market BEFORE moving here, tells me the state is better off without you teaching. We need and desire educated and intelligent teachers. I wouldn't want my kids being taught by someone who doesn't know how to use grammar or know how to spell "school."[/quote

I was going to say the same thing hahaha. You might to learn to spell school right before teaching in "a school."

Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 PM

8,453 posts, read 5,512,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Since you're ESL, you might want to look into teaching or aiding ESL classes and programs for recent immigrants.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

14,871 posts, read 18,293,404 times
My wife is a combination Special Education Paraeducator and Classroom Aid, and is able to teach ESL with just her degree, but it's not at teacher pay.

Not only are the state requirements stiffer here, there have been a lot of layoffs, so there are many well qualified teachers looking for jobs.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM

404 posts, read 616,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Well Kansas has a much lower bar to cross when it comes to education. Here we don't have the throngs of uneducated masses thinking that evolution is less of a theory than creationism . If Kansas only needs 62 credit hours and a couple days training, sheesh, no wonder that state is in such poor shape.

Judging from your grammar, lack of punctuation, misspellings, and obvious inability to research your future job market BEFORE moving here, tells me the state is better off without you teaching. We need and desire educated and intelligent teachers. I wouldn't want my kids being taught by someone who doesn't know how to use grammar or know how to spell "school."
Not be mean or anything to the OP, but I fully agree.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 PM

56 posts, read 69,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Get over yourself and your condescension. I'm sure the OP knows how to spell "school"; she (he?) wrote a quick posting on an Internet forum, and didn't proofread. Unheard of!

As to uneducated masses, the creationism stupidity is certainly a trend in Kansas but in no way is Washington immune. Plenty of full-bore religious types around in the more rural sections of the state.

Judging from your policy of judging someone else based on one short forum post, and attributing an obvious typo to a lack of spelling ability, I'd rather have the OP than you.

Somebody pour coffee in your cornflakes this morning?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,562,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmm View Post
I'd rather have the OP than you.

Somebody pour coffee in your cornflakes this morning?
Have fun with teachers who would rather teach creationism than science!

And ... actually, I like coffee in my cornflakes. With a little sugar and milk. Takes the act of needing to drink my coffee out of a separate container out of the equation and combine my favorite things in the morning. Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area