U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM

474 posts, read 1,167,184 times
Vancouver asian population is mainly from Hong Kong. Down in the Eastside where I live I see a lot of Koreans. I see some Japanese from time to time and most of them are actually married to Caucasians and they tend to live near the military bases. There are definitely a lot more asian-caucasian mixes out here and a lot of them are already 2nd generation. My $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,445,587 times
I used to frequent the Beacon Hill neighborhood (south of downtown) and found it to be very diverse in terms of asian ethnicity. Japanese, Chinese, SE asian, filipino, its seemingly all there.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM

256 posts, read 569,437 times
As others have mentioned, there are lots of Asians in the greater Seattle area. You will find concentrated areas of Vietnamese in Renton, Koreans in Federal Way, Lynnwood/Edmonds, and Tacoma. I don't know of any areas where you will find a concentration of folks from HI except near the UW campus, since many kids who want to "get off the rock" and go to the mainland attend either the UW or other nearby colleges (e.g., North Seattle CC in the Northgate area or Seattle Central CC in Capitol Hill).

Military towns, like Bremerton/Silverdale/Poulsbo, tend to have large Asian populations, due in part to military wives. The Kitsap area has a strong Filipino population, as well as other Asian ethnicities. You'll probably find a significant number of Japanese in the area, too, due to the military, and also on Bainbridge Island. The Asian/white couple is ubiquitous in Seattle, and you will find many mixed race children. This is a noticeable change from 20 years ago.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM

700 posts, read 1,679,345 times
I think for me, the main objective to live in a place with a "higher" percentage
of Japanese (specific) then say....Tulsa. It's mostly so my wife can find foods, restaurants, books, dvd's etc..to help her in this transition. Seattle is very good in this area, plus the weather is very simulair.
I dont think she really wants to move to America with the idea of hanging out exclusively in an Japanese/Asian circle of friends....we do that here! I remember back in New York when I was young, the neighborhoods were very defined and ethnic cultures didnt mix very much..

She wants to learn more about diversity, being from an ethnicly low "diverse" country (I think its like 96% Japanese and many have never left the island). And if she can eat good quality sushi, ramen etc...then she will be happy (her happy= me happy)

Here in Japan we (mixed couple) get looked at like we are doing something criminal, mostly by the older "salarymen" and old ladies (shufu). They lead very closed miopic lives...not bad, or mine is better...just different. There is a very very low international population here, so their experience with us gaijin is mostly what they see on news, movies or have been told about in school. So...going to Seattle we hope will eleviate some of the gawking...just normal stares will be fine!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 AM

480 posts, read 1,566,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I think for me, the main objective to live in a place with a "higher" percentage
of Japanese (specific) then say....Tulsa. It's mostly so my wife can find foods, restaurants, books, dvd's etc..to help her in this transition. Seattle is very good in this area, plus the weather is very simulair.
I dont think she really wants to move to America with the idea of hanging out exclusively in an Japanese/Asian circle of friends....we do that here! I remember back in New York when I was young, the neighborhoods were very defined and ethnic cultures didnt mix very much..

She wants to learn more about diversity, being from an ethnicly low "diverse" country (I think its like 96% Japanese and many have never left the island). And if she can eat good quality sushi, ramen etc...then she will be happy (her happy= me happy)

Here in Japan we (mixed couple) get looked at like we are doing something criminal, mostly by the older "salarymen" and old ladies (shufu). They lead very closed miopic lives...not bad, or mine is better...just different. There is a very very low international population here, so their experience with us gaijin is mostly what they see on news, movies or have been told about in school. So...going to Seattle we hope will eleviate some of the gawking...just normal stares will be fine!

White guy/Asian girl interracial couples are the most popular in America ... and Seattle must account for at least half of those couples! HA!

No, really ... that kind of coupling won't catch anyone's eye over here ... it's that common.

I think your wife will do pretty well in Seattle. There are just enough amenities to make her feel at home, and you two will stand out less.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 PM

9,852 posts, read 7,945,186 times
There is an Japanese school for Japanese children (Who are there because their parents are working in Seattle) who will be going back to Japan.....

Be prepared for the interview.....in Japanese.
And the orientation...in Japanese.
And they have an ID card system for the parents when you go pick up your kids.
And they have mean security.
Mean security is good.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 PM

71 posts, read 518,369 times
Quote:
I remember back in New York when I was young, the neighborhoods were very defined and ethnic cultures didnt mix very much..
I agree. I live in Queens right now and I gotta say for some odd reason you will always see caucasian males with asian women but never the other way around... I wonder why that is? =T

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 PM

576 posts, read 1,260,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
you've got 3rd/4th generation Japanese who are very Americanized (don't speak Japanese, etc).
Never noticed that until now... but then again, usually 3rd generation and onward Japanese-Americans anywhere hardly speak any Japanese (Of course, there are exceptions, like me).

Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 PM

12,673 posts, read 18,861,966 times
Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
As others have mentioned, there are lots of Asians in the greater Seattle area. You will find concentrated areas of Vietnamese in Renton, Koreans in Federal Way, Lynnwood/Edmonds, and Tacoma.
Anymore to add to this list? Meaning, certain pockets of certain ethnic asian groups?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,917 times
yea it's quite big but however i like asians in los angeles better. the ones here are either too fob or too whitewashed and most of em are not very social (yes im asian and i said it). the cali asians and new york asians are easier to get along with compare to seattle asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area