Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,148 times

Advertisements

How big is the Asian-American community in the Settle area?
Any Hawaiian (folks from Hawaii, not actually Hawaiian blood) communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 03:00 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
If you've read some of my posts, you'll find that Seattle is home to many folks of Asian ethnicity and has quite a history pertaining to the Asian community. The U.S. Census Bureau puts the asian population in King County at 233,028 or about 4.3% and separately, the native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander population at 10,208.

I don't know if there are any actual organizations or formal communities as the Seattle area is very diverse when it comes to actual places people reside. It will be interesting to find out from others here if there is.

I've mentioned Wing Luke and Gary Locke in a recent post and there are many more. I don't know if you've heard of Gordon Hirabayashi, but he's made quite an impact historically on the outcome of the Japanese internment during WWII on both a national and worldwide level.

There are many from the Islands living in the Seattle area. I know about a dozen myself. Also many of Japanese ethnicity from Hawaii now living in the grater Seattle area.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-01-2007 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,781 times
This is actually one of the main reasons Im choosing to return to Seattle.
Currently I live in Tokyo, my wife is Japanese...and it will be shock enough for her to live in America, so a city with a "higher" percentage of Japanese would be better for me. Seattle has about 1.6 % Japanese specific (according to census) San Fran has 1.5% which was surprising. This is both with about 550,000 in the metro areas. Of course San Fran has more outlying population that may be Asian...but I think thats kinda a "tit for tat" statement. It really is between a choice of where you want to be (jobs, environment, social) as to which between the two would work. Los Angeles also has a big Asian community...and so does Boston, most likely because of the abundance of higher education. Just my humble opinions....

Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 50,162 times
In addition to what other people have said, Vancouver, BC has a huge Asian population. Of course, it's across the border, but still within a drive of Seattle (day trip, weekend trip).

Old 08-02-2007, 10:20 PM

I would live in BC if I could, great area in Richmond, but Seattle is basically the same...plus NFL games!!

Most of the west coast cities obviously have their Asian communities...even San Jose had a street or two called Little Tokyo...or something. BUt I think in Seattle it permiates (sp?) into alot of areas of the city (food, grocery,art, style) And not just one, but many types of cultures.

One thing I have always enjoyed (and this is going back some years) is the diversity in the markets...fun (as a chef) to get inspired by ingredients that you just want to play with.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I would live in BC if I could, great area in Richmond, but Seattle is basically the same...plus NFL games!!

Most of the west coast cities obviously have their Asian communities...even San Jose had a street or two called Little Tokyo...or something. BUt I think in Seattle it permiates (sp?) into alot of areas of the city (food, grocery,art, style) And not just one, but many types of cultures.

One thing I have always enjoyed (and this is going back some years) is the diversity in the markets...fun (as a chef) to get inspired by ingredients that you just want to play with.

Right on, if you're a chef or even do-it-yourself foodie, Seattle is chock full of ingredients from all over and is yet another awesome fusion place. Seattle lacks a few (lalthough very few) types of ethnic restaurants, but provides the basic raw ingrediients to cook anything.

Oh, it's "permeates", but I think the teacher wasn't looking, so you're cool.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
Quote:
Currently I live in Tokyo, my wife is Japanese...and it will be shock enough for her to live in America, so a city with a "higher" percentage of Japanese would be better for me. Seattle has about 1.6 % Japanese specific (according to census) San Fran has 1.5% which was surprising. This is both with about 550,000 in the metro areas. Of course San Fran has more outlying population that may be Asian...but I think thats kinda a "tit for tat" statement. It really is between a choice of where you want to be (jobs, environment, social) as to which between the two would work. Los Angeles also has a big Asian community...and so does Boston, most likely because of the abundance of higher education. Just my humble opinions....

Yeah, your wife should be very comfortable in the Seattle area. Remember, Ichiro wanted to finish out his career with the Mariners even though he could've easily have received the same or better contract elsewhere. One of the reasons he cited is how impressed he is of Seattle.

I think the Bay Area's Japanese population is concentrated in San Jose, isn't it?

--'rocco

Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Responses are pretty general, but I'd agree wholeheartedly that Seattle is a positive place for anyone of any extraction to live, and that there is a strong Asian (broadly used) presence.

As far as specific Hawaiian communities, I've met many people who hail from Hawaii in the area, but I don't think they gather in a specific community and are more interspersed throughout the area. You're more likely to find people from SE Asia, Japan, China, etc, forming communities in neighborhoods, but no place specifically has the distinction of "little Hawaii" that I know of.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Being here in Tokyo, and previously lived in Seattle, I do some likeness...maybe thats what Ichiro (Suzuki san) is talking about? I lived in Santa Clara, Ca for a spell....and yes there are many Asians from many countries there in the San Jose area. The Japantown in San Fran is better then the one in San Jose in my opinion, more like a neighborhood in San Jose. But as Danny35 mentioned..B.C's area (Richmond) is amazingly chok full of asian markets, restaurants and goods...very cool, worth the day trip.

Though I have been to the Tsukiji fish market here many times...I honestly miss Pike and the neighborhood farmers markets in Seattle more....even some of the "chains" are pretty impressive for ingredients. As I head into fall here in Japan, Im writing new menus for the entire facility.(7 restaurants+banquets) and I miss the readily availible foods in the US, its very "different" here...
But the seafood IS to die for!!! When I return you will find me at Pike Place...strolling through the market with a big happy face!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 AM

48 posts, read 267,663 times
Quote:

I've found the Japanese population in the Seattle area to be pretty small. On one side you've got the 18-24 year old international student population and on the other you've got 3rd/4th generation Japanese who are very Americanized (don't speak Japanese, etc). I find it pretty rare to meet an immigrant 1st generation Japanese family (although I guess it's possible they just don't socialize with other Asians!). The only 1st generation Japanese I've met were either married to an American, or went to school here and found a job that allowed them to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area