Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Another weekend in on my own, and so decided to post on here for advice after a quick Google.

I'm British and in my early twenties. 3 years at University, then started work, before my company offered me a job here in Seattle. I decided to take it, and it's my second week in a hotel now, looking for apartments.

It looks like I'm going to get a one bed or a studio in Queen Anne.

The job is good and I like the city, but man, making friends etc. It seems Oscar Wildes 'two nations divided by a common language' isn't far from the truth. At univeristy I played soccer and rugby etc. but obviously that isn't too big here.

I'm quite sociable back home but I'm not one to just go out and start talking to strangers, but all the people in work are much older with wifes and kids so I'm kinda alone right now.

Moving here in to my apartment in July so although the work is good, no point without a good social life so just wondered on any tips or ways to find some friends etc. to kind of see the city and stuff...

Any advice!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
Attend a Sounders FC game, or join an activity club, meetup.com

Good luck

Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Actually soccer and rugby do exist and you can find teams to play on. Do a google search of travel teams. I don't see how going to a Sounders game is going t help really get to know anybody, but it could be fun. Also try meetup dot com, search under Seattle and then different groups and areas of interests that you like....you can meet a lot of people that way. There are outdoors adventurer groups as well. You could also take some continuing ed classes (non credit) at Seattle Central Community College (night classes). Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Seattle has a rugby club and lots of local soccer teams. The Rugby clubs play against a lot of Canadian teams, but make sure you have 'leather balls' for that sport.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw89 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Another weekend in on my own, and so decided to post on here for advice after a quick Google.

I'm British and in my early twenties. 3 years at University, then started work, before my company offered me a job here in Seattle. I decided to take it, and it's my second week in a hotel now, looking for apartments.

The job is good and I like the city, but man, making friends etc. It seems Oscar Wildes 'two nations divided by a common language' isn't far from the truth. At univeristy I played soccer and rugby etc. but obviously that isn't too big here.

I'm quite sociable back home but I'm not one to just go out and start talking to strangers, but all the people in work are much older with wifes and kids so I'm kinda alone right now.

Moving here in to my apartment in July so although the work is good, no point without a good social life so just wondered on any tips or ways to find some friends etc. to kind of see the city and stuff...

Any advice!?
Go to the George and Dragon (in Fremont) this Saturday for the Sounders FC game. You will meet more like-minded people than you may care to.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Turn on channel 6 Kong TV right now and you will see some 40,000 people enjoying a soccer game at Qwest Field. There are adult recreational leagues all over the area, that you can join if you'd rather play than watch. You can also become a referee and make friends and a few dollars on the side from the youth leagues.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM

325 posts, read 787,642 times
Quote:
At univeristy I played soccer and rugby etc. but obviously that isn't too big here.
As has been stated, soccer is actually pretty big here, especially by American standards. Not only does our local club team average near 40,000 a game (by far the best in America), but I read somewhere that the Seattle area has more people playing soccer per capita than anywhere in this country.

As far as rugby goes, I know there are teams here and, nationally, it's starting to get a little bit of TV coverage lately, building up to the World Cup this fall I'm guessing.

Otherwise, I second that meetup.com recommendation, as well as George & Dragon. Actually, G&D is a must considering you're English. There are also other great soccer/British bars here that you can check out.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
I'm also British and I'm trying to move to the Seattle area from Houston! I moved to the States when I was 15 (now 33) so have been here a while! I plan on moving next March if I don't find a job up there before then.

Moving to a new city is always difficult and making friends is one of those difficulties. I would say everyone's suggestions are a good place to start. Just join clubs or go to places where similar interests are found. You could always try the internet too - there are numerous clubs and organisations you can find. It took me forever to find long-term friends here in Houston. I don't think it really matters what city you are in, it's always difficult. Anyway, keep your chin up and you'll find some friends soon!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM

51 posts, read 144,761 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Any advice!?
Welcome to Seattle. You may want to investigate the "Seattle Freeze" thread here if you have not yet. I am from Connecticut (New England has a reputation for being 'cold'), but it was much easier for me making friends there.
There are lots of bars and clubs in Seattle, but I think peeps find each other here mostly online. Also, if you look at 'activities' on craiglist, you might find peeps with similar interests, etc. I have always had dogs and meet the friendliest people at the parks. Dogs break down the 'speaking to strangers' inhibition that most of us seem to have (want to borrow mine?).
Queen Anne is a wonderful place, particularly for someone your age. You will get to know your local shopkeepers, baristas, etc.
People here are reserved, not unfriendly. Lots of peeps in a hurry (you know - the traffic) and I think the weather generally makes us walk at a fast pace that looks unfriendly.
It will warm up soon, hopefully. If you like outdoor activities you might find a walking group, biking, climbing, etc. There are plenty. Also, volunteer activities usually will put you in the company of like minded peeps. It's a good way to make friends.
Bumping into peeps on the streets doesn't work here.
Good luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You might also run over to Redmond some time, and stop for a taste of home at the British Pantry. I love the bangers and mash.

Wix.com British Pantry created by Alviaredman based on Country Diner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area