U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Default Seattle Freeze

Moving from Chicago to Seattle in September. 29 year old female, married, have a 2 year old son.

I'm into outdoors activities, vegan cooking, environmental issues and reading.

I have been doing some research and came across the term "Seattle Freeze" and freaked out. Is Seattle really that unfriendly? I was really looking forward to meeting new people when we move there..

moderator interpose: please refer to our dedicated thread on the "dreaded" Seattle Freeze as we don't want five or six threads going at once on this topic. Thanks.

Official "Seattle Freeze" Discussion Thread

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-07-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,248,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina1981 View Post
Moving from Chicago to Seattle in September. 29 year old female, married, have a 2 year old son.

I'm into outdoors activities, vegan cooking, environmental issues and reading.

I have been doing some research and came across the term "Seattle Freeze" and freaked out. Is Seattle really that unfriendly? I was really looking forward to meeting new people when we move there..
There's already a "Seattle Freeze" thread - it's a huge one, too.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,470,665 times
There is a whole thread dedicated to the famed Seattle Freeze. I may relocate there myself and I can tell you that the freeze is the least of my concerns. The bars and restaurants are chock full of people getting together for a drink or a bite to eat. They have tables with 4 chairs for a reason. They have people that can perform marriage ceremonies up there because people do meet, fall in love, and get married. You see groups of people walking and talking everywhere. I do believe there is a cultural difference, but as with many things in life, the hype is often larger than the reality. You could read some of the stories in the Seattle Freeze thread and believe there in no social interaction whatsoever going on up there. I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm fairly certain every bar and night club in Seattle would have gone out of business long ago if that were the case. Make a visit and just open your eyes. Go to some of the local parks and ask yourself if all you see are a bunch of solitary individuals wandering around aimlessly. Go to a bar or a restaurant and see if all you see are a bunch of individuals all sitting by themselves looking lonely. Search Facebook for people who live in Seattle. Look to see how many don't show any "Friends". I wouldn't worry about it. I'm certainly not. I expect to encounter a somewhat more reserved culture, but hardly a society of hermits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area