U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 29,760 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Seattle from the Bay Area, potentially within the next six months. One of the factors driving this decision is the state of affairs of the public schools here in CA. I should clarify, our concern is mostly at the middle and high school level. We've found that's were the deterioration typically manifests.

Private schools are currently off the table.

Some of the preliminary feedback we've received from friends/family, and indirectly on this forum, is the public schools in Seattle proper are not fairing all that well themselves.

Anyhow,I would love to hear from anyone with their experiences/opinions with Seattle public schools, especially anyone who has had a child in both a CA school and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,481,660 times
The Seattle Public School system is very BAD compared to the surrounding suburban school districts. Most families prefer living in the suburbs for that reason. This is the main reason why most Seattle residence are young, single, unmarried and without children.
The Seattle school system, starting with the Superintendent are very currupt, wasting millions of taxpayer dollars to enrich themselves rather then using the funds to improve the education of the city's children. The latest Superintendent made the local news and was fired, but curruption still exists in the lower branches of the administration.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM

288 posts, read 250,875 times
The district has its issues but you can still obtain a quality education within it. Location matters alot. Also as an aside enrollment has been increasing and parents with children (myself included) do live within the city's boundaries. For a more nuanced perspective I'd check out the Save Seattle Schools Community Blog blog.
Ben

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM

14,902 posts, read 18,341,124 times
Not only are the Seattle schools having problems educating kids, the management has been through several recent scandals. Just across the bridge are the Mercer Island, Issaquah, and Lake Washington districts which are suffering budget cuts but still managing to do very well. We did the same as you for the same reason in 1993, moved to Sammamish from Castro Valley. Our 3 kids are all grown and doing very well now on their own.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM

3,621 posts, read 7,021,394 times
Yep, avoid Seattle Schools. There are good schools, but attendance boundaries are changing just about every year and you don't have a lot of options to go anywhere but your neighborhood school. The district is in a shambles and administration doesn't really know what they are doing one year to the next.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM

49 posts, read 184,905 times
I moved from Seattle to Issaquah because of the miserable school system situation. If you really don't want to pay for private, then I also suggest that you look outside the city.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,487,372 times
I don't have children that attend Seattle Public School but I do have a close friend that does and they live in the Queen Anne area of Seattle. Her children attend John Hay John Hay Elementary - Welcome and she is extremely happy with the school and she also happens to be a teacher so she has very high standards. She told me Frantz Coe Coe Elementary School Coe Elementary School is another good one but I don't know what district that one belongs to but I am sure you can find out. You can also check reviews on any individual school you choose on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. Best of luck! As far as eastside schools, you really cannot go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area