U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,963 times
Default Need advice from dog-owners!

My husband and I are moving to Seattle at the end of the month, and we can't decided whether or not to take both of our dogs (70lbs, 80lbs approx.) with us. We have already signed a lease on an apartment that will allow 2 dogs up to 80lbs, so that isn't an issue. I'm concerned that without a backyard, having two large dogs in a small apartment might drive us all crazy. One of our dogs is bigger but lazy and mild mannered, the other is somewhat smaller and is very obedient, but has more energy and spunk. I will be working part-time, my husband will be working full time. Has anyone had TWO LARGE dogs in a small apartment that could give some advice? Or even had advice about having an energetic dog in the city?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM

239 posts, read 392,368 times
I would never suggest acquiring large, active dogs and keeping them in an apartment complex unless there is a dog park nearby and you are willing to use it. That being said, you already have the dogs and "dumping" them at a shelter is not cool.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM

240 posts, read 305,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
I would never suggest acquiring large, active dogs and keeping them in an apartment complex unless there is a dog park nearby and you are willing to use it. That being said, you already have the dogs and "dumping" them at a shelter is not cool.
Completely agree. Getting rid of a dog is one of the meanest things you can do to that poor animal. Take it with you and suck it up.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be nasty. But as a dog owner, it hurts me to think of people getting rid of their pets. It's mean and hurtful to that animal.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM

7,976 posts, read 13,473,218 times
The Seattle area is blessed with a bunch of off leash dog areas, and many dog owning apartment dwellers utilize them. I don't know where your apartment is, but I don't think the lack of a yard is the issue as much as the opportunity for doggie exercise. If you take your dogs out for a long walk every day or to an off leash area, they'll be fine. I think the City of Seattle has 9 off leash areas,( with Magnuson Park in NE Seattle and Westcrest in SW Seattle being the best) and Bellevue has Robinswood, Redmond has Marymoor ( 44 acres, doggie Disneyland), Renton has Cedar River dog park, Sea-Tac/Kent has Grandview ( another great one), Edmonds has one, Sammamish has one, and there's all kinds of parks and trails all over.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 PM

240 posts, read 305,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Seattle area is blessed with a bunch of off leash dog areas, and many dog owning apartment dwellers utilize them. I don't know where your apartment is, but I don't think the lack of a yard is the issue as much as the opportunity for doggie exercise. If you take your dogs out for a long walk every day or to an off leash area, they'll be fine. I think the City of Seattle has 9 off leash areas,( with Magnuson Park in NE Seattle and Westcrest in SW Seattle being the best) and Bellevue has Robinswood, Redmond has Marymoor ( 44 acres, doggie Disneyland), Renton has Cedar River dog park, Sea-Tac/Kent has Grandview ( another great one), Edmonds has one, Sammamish has one, and there's all kinds of parks and trails all over.
This is a better answer than the one I provided.

Seattle is a very dog-friendly city. I know some nonprofit organizations that allow employees to bring their dogs to work. Not sure about your big dogs, but I guess as long as they behave...

If they like to swim, there are plenty of good places in Lake Washington (not the beaches) where you can take the dogs. There is so much outdoor recreation here, not just for people, but for dogs too.

We also found a book called "Best Hikes with Dogs - Western Washington" by Dan A. Nelson. If you like to go hiking, get this book! You can take your dogs along and ge them some great exercise as well!

I think if you scope out all your options, you can make it work. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,694,420 times
Take them..give extra attention to them. They will be happy as long as they're with you; it is wrong to give them to a shelter. When we moved into a small apt. when arriving in Anchorage, we had 2 dogs and they did just fine. We lived in that apt. a year before buying our own home.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,532,423 times
I second what Ira says ... we live in a home in Seattle with no yard to speak of and two big dogs (90 lb and 115 lb). We live near a large park where we walk and swim them every day. As long as you put in the time to care for your dogs, they will be fine.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

7,976 posts, read 13,473,218 times
But do keep in mind that taking your dog swimming outside of the offleash areas ( Magnuson and Marymoor have swimming) is illegal, and every once in a while people get caught and fined ( 500 bucks in the City of Seattle). I've seen people and their dogs caught in Seward Park and Lincoln Park in West Seattle, so make sure to do it when Animal Control is least likely to be around.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM

304 posts, read 435,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmar07 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Seattle at the end of the month, and we can't decided whether or not to take both of our dogs (70lbs, 80lbs approx.) with us. We have already signed a lease on an apartment that will allow 2 dogs up to 80lbs, so that isn't an issue. I'm concerned that without a backyard, having two large dogs in a small apartment might drive us all crazy. One of our dogs is bigger but lazy and mild mannered, the other is somewhat smaller and is very obedient, but has more energy and spunk. I will be working part-time, my husband will be working full time. Has anyone had TWO LARGE dogs in a small apartment that could give some advice? Or even had advice about having an energetic dog in the city?
Thanks!
I have neighbors who own two or more large dogs. They found apartment buildings that have large yards. I also see them walking their dogs everyday. I think the solution is to look for the right apartment near a park, not to dump the dogs. If you have to move further from downtown, that is an appropriate trade off.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 PM

5,339 posts, read 5,636,882 times
I knew a woman whose place was around 1600 sqft with a teeny yard that had 3 Great Danes plus a Shih Tzu (or something like that). It could be done, it just would depend on how much interaction and training one's willing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area