Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM

367 posts, read 304,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Don't let anybody talk you out of moving to Vancouver....its wonderful, clean, close to portland, had wonderful parks and bike paths and you can usually save on the tax because business don't want to lose out to portland.
What are property taxes like in Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Default Seattle vs. Portland???

There has always been this huge rivalry between the two cities, which is somwhat silly, because they are so different in so many ways. Sure, they share a similar climate, but it pretty much ends there.

It really comes down to what your priorities are.

Housing: Both are expensive and rising, but Portland is still cheaper.

Culture: Sorry, Portland, but Seattle has more cultural attractions when you add up things like museums, music, opera, symphony, the arts scene, etc.

Sports: Seattle has a major university within the city limits, plus MLB, NFL, and for now, NBA. Portland has NBA.

Traffic: No picnic in either, but Seattle is worse. Light rail just coming up to speed in Seattle, been in place in Portland for decades.

Economics: Both areas are above average, but Seattle is home to some of the most influential and fastest growing companies in the world. Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks.

Taxes: Covered well above, but in a nutshell, you pay no state income tax in Washington, you pay no sales tax in Oregon. To me, that's a draw, unless you plan on big-purchase items in the near future.

People: Portland is somewhat more relaxed, Seattle is more intense and business-oriented. Both cities have been accused of being friendly on the outside, unfriendly deeper within.

So decide what qualities are important to you, then make a decision. (I would concur than Vancouver is not the ideal spot in the NW....it is growing fast, but the sprawl and "backyard" mentality to Portland is depressing.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
I 100% agree..Do not let anyone talk you out of moving where you feel most comfortable.
Da Couve...is nice, clean, most parts low crime ...and yes close to Portland, There are many wonderful people living in Vancouver. The businesses do try and compete with Portland on sales tax...but it mostly washes in the end.
My comments were based mostly on the statement of being single and looking to date. You will find yourself on the bridges, stuck in traffic, going in and out of Portland alot...again perhaps you have done the math, and this is acceptable (to each their own)..My business had alot of travel too...and it grew old. 90% of restaurants you will want to eat at ( a guess of course) music stores, clothes stores, wine shops, festivals, concerts, bars, etc, etc.... will be in Portland. Its not like its 100 miles away...really its not far...just can be a little frustrating. Do visit both places, get the vibe...Vancouver may be perfect!! If it is, hang your hat and smile....
Really though....Beaches??? uff....I wish you nothing but luck zerp.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
What are property taxes like in Vancouver?
I think I was paying less than 1 percent of the assessed value. It was not much...I live in texas now and pay 3 percent, and OMG its rape.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 AM

11 posts, read 49,009 times
Default State Income Tax

Keep in mind, that if you work in Oregon and live in Vancouver, you are still going to be subjected to Oregon state income tax... I am not sure if it is a part-resident tax rate or if you pay the full tax rate, but you definitely pay something!

Personally, I lived in the Pearl District in Portland (amongst other areas) and now live in Downtown Seattle. If I had choice, I would choose the Pearl District over Downtown Seattle (i.e. Belltown, etc...).

To be honest, if I had a choice between Vancouver (a suburb) or say, Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond or another Seattle suburb, I would choose Seattle.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
Yea, the Pearl District is great, I lived there for a year...loved the place..EXCEPT the parking police...Geez, I got nailed all the time (my fault, but still!) Im not sure where in Portland the original poster thinks that he will pay 3000 a month mortgage( except the pearl)...that seems a bit extreme...possible, but on the high side. There are lots of condos downtown that will not cost 3000 a month to own. (Goose Hollow, NW Industrial Area, SE Portland)....will take some hunting though.

Still IMO if you are young-ish, enjoy any type of urban living (scene) and want to be where some action is..Vancouver would wear thin on you after a short time. You may be saving a few dollars on a mortgage, but there is a reason for that. If you are raising a family, closer to middle age, stationary with career...Vancouver makes perfect sense.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Okay one more...why not!!!

Beaches will not be fun after the second or third visit. Yes...Yes It is famous for being a meat market for the 30+..and + and + scene. (You may run into someones father there!!) I would not think to move to "da couve" (or anywhere) because Beaches
I know what you mean. I was trying to give the guy a easy place off the top of my head. The Beaches scene does tire quickly, but even if you don't hook up with someone (which really is quite easy there), you can mingle and find out other places to go. Top Shelf, Club 199 and Cascade Tavern come to mind.

The Pearl seems to be filled with pretentious types, I can't stand that. Everyone is more concerned with being in the Pearl and worried about what you drive than anything. I'm more for the down to Earth type women that don't drink apple-tinis and go to the bathroom to primp every five minutes.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella View Post
Keep in mind, that if you work in Oregon and live in Vancouver, you are still going to be subjected to Oregon state income tax... I am not sure if it is a part-resident tax rate or if you pay the full tax rate, but you definitely pay something!

Personally, I lived in the Pearl District in Portland (amongst other areas) and now live in Downtown Seattle. If I had choice, I would choose the Pearl District over Downtown Seattle (i.e. Belltown, etc...).

To be honest, if I had a choice between Vancouver (a suburb) or say, Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond or another Seattle suburb, I would choose Seattle.
well personally if I had the choice between vancouver (an actual town) Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond or another Seattle suburb, I would choose vancouver. Especially East Vancouver

Old 08-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Yea, the Pearl District is great, I lived there for a year...loved the place..EXCEPT the parking police...Geez, I got nailed all the time (my fault, but still!) Im not sure where in Portland the original poster thinks that he will pay 3000 a month mortgage( except the pearl)...that seems a bit extreme...possible, but on the high side. There are lots of condos downtown that will not cost 3000 a month to own. (Goose Hollow, NW Industrial Area, SE Portland)....will take some hunting though.

Still IMO if you are young-ish, enjoy any type of urban living (scene) and want to be where some action is..Vancouver would wear thin on you after a short time. You may be saving a few dollars on a mortgage, but there is a reason for that. If you are raising a family, closer to middle age, stationary with career...Vancouver makes perfect sense.

Yeah, parking police are pretty bad... but I got to know their routine Yes, a 1000 sq ft loft with HOA, Mortgage, and taxes, will be about 3k month. However, if you live and work downtown, a car is not necessary (Flexcar, Tri-Met, etc...). That can save you $500-$600 with insurance, payments, etc...

Personally, I knew many people that raised kids in a 1br + loft situation, where it was a studio with an extra little bedroom. Perfect for a couple and 1 kid... maybe 2 young ones. Lots of great parks nearby and safe.

I would only live in Vancouver if you are not working in Portland. You lose out buy still have to pay taxes (at least some) and will be stuck in traffic all the time. Not to mention, higher car registration (not by much, but still), and just less "stuff" around you. If I were to not live in the Pearl, or NW 23rd (condos would be cheaper there by the way), I would look at close-in SE and parts of NE

Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I know what you mean. I was trying to give the guy a easy place off the top of my head. The Beaches scene does tire quickly, but even if you don't hook up with someone (which really is quite easy there), you can mingle and find out other places to go. Top Shelf, Club 199 and Cascade Tavern come to mind.

The Pearl seems to be filled with pretentious types, I can't stand that. Everyone is more concerned with being in the Pearl and worried about what you drive than anything. I'm more for the down to Earth type women that don't drink apple-tinis and go to the bathroom to primp every five minutes.
Actually, that is a misconception about the Pearl. Yes, they are some like that... but 90% of them are the ones that come into the Pearl on First Thursday and then Fri/Sat nights from places like Lake Oswego. Those who live in the Pearl and are pretty down to earth.

Besides, if I were to live in Hawthorne, or any part of Sunnyside, I'd be looked at in the opposite way. If I drove a nice car, or wore leather dress shoes, I'd be looked down upon. To each their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area