Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM

368 posts, read 695,519 times

Advertisements

Love love love Oregon & Portland. Just don't see as many job opportunities for myself down there. But you can't go wrong with either. Seattle is more corporate uptight but has the jobs in a good economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Both areas are beautiful. I just moved out here to the Northwest 6 months ago, have visited both areas quite a bit. I have to say Seattle is the better city. Portland has a more gritty feeling to it, many more parts seem just a bit run down, it's not as big, which means not quite as much going on, and of course not nearly as much employment. The Seattle area is just amazing- vibrant city, tons and tons to do, lots of job opportunities, and not only do you have mountain ranges to the east and west, you also have the Puget Sound adding that marine element that Portland doesn't have.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
^^^
Agreed! After visiting Portland a couple of times and falling in love with it (albeit in the sunny months) and thinking it would be a great city to live in we finally went up to Seattle over memorial day week for a vacation. Rained (lightly) every day and I love that city! Felt like a much more doable San Francisco, nice compact downtown, great access and connection to the water, lots of interesting neighborhoods just a few miles away, stunning forests a couple of mile more. It has sports teams and stadiums and a much more vibrant arts community too. The economy has to be way better there than Portland too. Rain or not I would never choose Portland over Seattle now (and I still think Portland is a nice city), I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the sun.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
I agree with the past two posts about Seattle vs. Portland!

I still think Portland is a great place, though, but I just infinitely prefer Seattle or Vancouver, BC to Portland. If I had no choice but to live in Portland, I would still love living there though.

The Northwest is an amazing place to have three awesome major cities such as Seattle, Vancouver(BC), and Portland,OR while having all the awesome diverse nature places. The Northwest feels like a very distinctive, interesting, thriving place in the world in its own special way.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia77 View Post
I'm just wondering, from the point of view of those who have lived and/or visited both cities... which one would be a better choice? Seattle or Portland?
Until recently I had only visited Portland, and really liked it. In fact, before I decided to move to Port Townsend, I seriously considered moving there, because I have some close friends from our mutual San Francisco days who moved there about 10 years ago, and whom I've visited many times over the years.

Another close friend of mine likes Seattle a lot better, and he described it thusly: "Seattle kicks Portland's butt and steals its lunch money."

After visiting Seattle (which will be the nearest city to me when I move in 3 weeks), I have to give the nod to Seattle, too, but this is only based on a short visit; I don't know the city as well as I do Portland. I like the setting better (the Sound vs. the rivers), and the economy seems more vibrant, which impacts infrastructure and things like the cleanliness of the city and the numbers of homeless people. Also, I noticed more pretentious hipsters in Portland than I saw in Seattle, but again, my visit might have been too short to pick up on this.

Of course, if you're a pretentious hipster, Portland might suit you better.

Honestly, I think I would enjoy living in either, but I'm pretty flexible.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 69,592 times
Thanks for all your responses. I'm looking for a smaller city feel but I'm also looking for a vibrant place to raise a family. I love hiking, and the outdoors. I don't mind the rain (obviously) and would perfer not to be freezing cold all the time. I use to live outside of Pittsburgh PA and hated the 3 months of snow. I currently live in Texas and HATE the heat, I feel like I am suffocating daily. I am kinda stuck here for the time being because of my stepkids but would love to relocate to the northwest. When I have kids of my own I want a city that will have lots to offer for a young family. I love music, arts, and the outdoors. I'm pretty sure either city would work for me. I'm not freaked out by the homeless popullation, and wouldn't mind be called a "hippie". I would perfer that to a "yuppie". But I would perfer not to exclude either city based on sterotypes. I love the public transportation aspect of Portland. But Seattle has been intriguing me lately. Guess I need to visit and see what I think!!

Anymore thoughts?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 21,752 times
I've lived in both Seattle and Portland for 4 years each. Honestly, they're both completely awesome places to live. I did start to get bored of Portland after a while, but I loved it still and will cherish that time forever. Both cities are very similar but both have a lot of unique things to offer. The same can be said about their surrounding areas. Ultimately, I favor Seattle, but Portland is the trendy place to be right now and it's a great time. Plus, in the end, they're a little over 3 hours apart, so you're always nearby.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
To Seapdx: Great to see someone else again agree that Seattle and Portland are both awesome.

They are very similar but very different at the same time.

So do you still live in the Northwest? If not, why did you leave the Northwest? But then again it says you live in Philadelphia and Seattle at the same time.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 21,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Seapdx: Great to see someone else again agree that Seattle and Portland are both awesome.

They are very similar but very different at the same time.

So do you still live in the Northwest? If not, why did you leave the Northwest? But then again it says you live in Philadelphia and Seattle at the same time.
I lived in the Northwest for as long as I could. But the Air Force sent me here. I go back when I can and I'll move back after my time in the service. I like it here though, a new adventure in a new city, it's a good time.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times
I wrote this rambling mess of a post (still worth reading though) on a thread in the city vs. city forum:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both great cities.

My rambling, long-winded take on it is this:

Portland is funkier and less in your face. It feels like a much more human-scale city. Good public transit, but more importantly, it is extremely walkable and bikable.

A lot of long-term Seattle residents say Portland feels like Seattle did 20-30 years ago. Less flashy and more down to earth. More blue collar and not as much yuppie professional. Portland has very few regulations, its a live and let live city. The neighborhoods in Portland seem to flow into each other much better, unlike Seattle, which feels balkanized. The bars in Portland are more laid back and tend to have more character (although Seattle has plenty of great bars). Portland is much less hilly and not nearly as iconic or beautiful. It doesn't have Seattle's lakes or the Sound. It is still very beautiful and green, though, with great hiking and waterfalls nearby.

Seattle is much more difficult to pin down. If you want a big city feel, Seattle far outdoes Portland. The downtown area and its various sections: Pioneer Square, Westlake, the Waterfront, Pike Place Market, Belltown all have a much more urban vibe than anywhere in Portland. Also, there are are two neighborhoods, Denny Triangle and South Lake Union, which are part of the downtown grid but not yet fully developed. Once they do, Seattle's downtown will be a force to reckon with even on a national scale. Portland has nothing even close to approaching this.

Seattle generally has a much more corporate feel than Portland, people tend to be a little stuffier and uptight, although Seattle varies greatly by neighborhood, much moreso than Portland. Each neighborhood almost has its own distinct main street and culture. Aside from adjacent downtown neighborhoods Queen Anne and Capitol Hill, the neighborhoods tend to be more spread out from each other. Certainly, urbanity is beginning to fill the spaces in between, though, but as I said, it still feels balkanized. In many ways, this is what has allowed such different neighborhood and enclaves to emerge within the same city. Many first time visitors claim Seattle feels like a a bunch of separate cities crunched together, with a large downtown to tie them together. In that way, Seattle has much more to explore. It has plenty of very walkable and bikable sections, but also lots of dead zones in between. It lacks Portland's feel of flow and connectivity. However, neighborhood centers tend to be more vibrant and bustling in Seattle (although don't expect NYC, Chicago, or SF).

There are less hippies in Seattle than Portland, but still tons of hipsters as well as left-wing/organic "progressives", etc. In addition, Seattle has a much stronger frat-boy/d-bag vibe than Portland, in certain areas at least. There is certainly a greater variety if nightlife in Seattle, but as I said, the bar culture is less consistant. It really depends on neighborhood, again.

Physically, Seattle is stunningly beatiful. Great views abound, amazing topography and lakes of various sizes, beaches, Mt Rainier in the background and the Cascades nearby. On a beautiful day Seattle is an absolutely amazing city. Id also give Seattle the edge in terms of day/weekend trips.

Seattle does have some horrendous Condo trends occuring though, and the city has a penchant for Shlocky, high-profile projects (Portland does not.) Portland's urban infratructure feels more organic, while Seattle feels like a fascinating collage

Overall, Id say Portland is more soulful and engaging, while Seattle is more grand and awe-inspiring. Although, Seattle really does vary dramatically--there are sections of Seattle (e.g. Ballard, Columbia City) that are just as soulful and engaging as Portland.

Really, you have to visit both for yourself. Ive met an equaly number of people who love one and arent too fond of the other. Just make sure you get out of downtown and visit the neighborhoods in both.

I really couldnt say which I like better. I do think Seatle offers a more diverse experience, and a more true "city" experience. Portland is more about lifestyle, human-sclae, and connectivity.

Oh yeah, one last couple things--Both are very good for food, restaurants, fresh produce, etc. Both are also great beer towns, with Portland having the slight edge there. Civic engagement in both is very strong as well, especially in Seattle.

Read more: Pacific Northwest: Portland vs. Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area