U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 AM
 
138 posts, read 824,183 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

I have to be honest when I say I love the trade off thats happening in the Seattle are well more specifically the city proper. Alot of the social conservative neocon typse are leaving to the "South" and alot of the progressive college educated YOUNG CREATIVE/INNOVATIVE TYPES are moving in! average pop growth overall is 3 percent however college educated individuals is double that at 11 percent I will take that trade off anyday I love brain gain you can Mississippi lol just my two-cents

 
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
 
473 posts, read 1,144,708 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Oh man Ive been DESPERATELY trying to move out of seattle for a couple months now. Im a native Californian but went to school in AZ for 4 years. I just took my first job in seattle a year ago and immediately had a frown on my face when I arrived.

Ive never felt so confined EVER in my entire life (due to the weather, traffic, and social scene). The strong EMO/grunge trend up here, is just flat out ugly. Couple that with the bad weather, smug people, lack of positive atmosphere, and its just downright depressing.

I will be moving back to the southwest March 1st. Risking my career... quite possibly.
Isn't Seattle, Wash. the same as San Francisco?
If so that would be a great thing especially the weather in that it doesn't get hot.

Last edited by stingray427; 12-19-2008 at 02:12 PM..
 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Mojave Desert, Southern California
1,043 posts, read 869,920 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Isn't Seattle, Wash. the same as San Francisco?
If so that would be a great thing especially the weather in that it doesn't get hot.
Seattle isnt even remotely comparable to San Francisco.

San francisco has a livability factor to it that seattle lacks big time. Attrition is low, the social scene is vibrant and exciting, and the atmosphere is great (primarily due to the great architecture and layout of the city and buildings).

Seattle is crap compared to san francisco (sorry locals! just another californians opinion)
 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,283 posts, read 4,398,283 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Seattle isnt even remotely comparable to San Francisco.

San francisco has a livability factor to it that seattle lacks big time. Attrition is low, the social scene is vibrant and exciting, and the atmosphere is great (primarily due to the great architecture and layout of the city and buildings).

Seattle is crap compared to san francisco (sorry locals! just another californians opinion)
Are you actually sticking up for San Francisco...? That makes me want to "hurl".
 
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Mojave Desert, Southern California
1,043 posts, read 869,920 times
Reputation: 750
Yep, im sticking up for san francisco. The city where I dont have to see black, grey, and cigarette smoking, tattoo covered hunched over emo punks everywhere I go. The city where people arent nearly as cold and actually engage in conversation with you. The city that actually has some style to it and doesnt look like it was designed by a mathematician.

Sorry about the negativity, but Ive had it up here. I cant vent my frustration about how crappy it is because the locals just scoff at me for being a californian.

its all good though, ill be escaping in less than a month
 
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,283 posts, read 4,398,283 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Yep, im sticking up for san francisco. The city where I dont have to see black, grey, and cigarette smoking, tattoo covered hunched over emo punks everywhere I go. The city where people arent nearly as cold and actually engage in conversation with you. The city that actually has some style to it and doesnt look like it was designed by a mathematician.

Sorry about the negativity, but Ive had it up here. I cant vent my frustration about how crappy it is because the locals just scoff at me for being a californian.

its all good though, ill be escaping in less than a month
I hope you realize that I'm not serious...and that the only reason I said that is because I read a post in another forum here on C-D that you posted saying something similar...

San Francisco is a beautiful city, I've spent a lot of time there over the years, however I happen to think that Seattle is equally as beautiful, and I disagree with you about the people, etc.

It's all good, and I'm sorry you don't like it here...and that you have been scoffed at for being a Californian.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,558,597 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Yep, im sticking up for san francisco. The city where I dont have to see black, grey, and cigarette smoking, tattoo covered hunched over emo punks everywhere I go. The city where people arent nearly as cold and actually engage in conversation with you. The city that actually has some style to it and doesnt look like it was designed by a mathematician.

Sorry about the negativity, but Ive had it up here. I cant vent my frustration about how crappy it is because the locals just scoff at me for being a californian.

its all good though, ill be escaping in less than a month
Honestly, you sound like a pretentious, condescending d-bag, and I am not at all surprised that you have had a negative experience, because it sounds like you came here with a crappy attitude before you even stepped off the plane. And it's not like you even came here from a cool part of California.......You are from the *shudder* central valley. The only place in California that actually makes Spokane look cool.

Last edited by toughguy; 11-17-2008 at 11:02 AM..
 
Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
244 posts, read 578,496 times
Reputation: 108
What is this personality difference that I don't see while I visit Seattle?

I am thinking about leaving the Bay Area in California and moving to Seattle, but I wonder what is the passive aggressive social tyranny?

When I lived in D.C., I hated the soap opera like drama where people gossip behind each other's backs for power. But to your face, they were your buddy. Most conversations were based on career/power and only last a couple of minutes, unless they needed something.

Is this what you mean? If not, please explain what is this social difference that you all speak of.
 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX!!!!
3,742 posts, read 5,474,986 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
What is this personality difference that I don't see while I visit Seattle?

I am thinking about leaving the Bay Area in California and moving to Seattle, but I wonder what is the passive aggressive social tyranny?

When I lived in D.C., I hated the soap opera like drama where people gossip behind each other's backs for power. But to your face, they were your buddy. Most conversations were based on career/power and only last a couple of minutes, unless they needed something.

Is this what you mean? If not, please explain what is this social difference that you all speak of.
I had a professor in graduate school that described it really well. BTW, he was from a different country but was educated in Boston so he'd had some exposure to a different metro area in this country. Anyway, his description went something like this:
In Seattle, you are working and living your life and something you are doing begins to bother a coworker or neighbor. Rather than the offendee directly addressing the issue with you before it becomes a major problem, he or she silently broods while all the while you go along thinking there is nothing wrong. Every night the offended party ruminates over what he or she perceives as the inappropriate behavior, becoming angrier and angrier. Then one night, after the offended just can't take it anymore, he gets out of bed at 2AM and shoots off an incredibly nasty email. Then he shows up at work or around the neighborhood as if nothing has happened.

I don't really know if that's what they are talking about, but I really liked that description from a relative newcomer. I think it is hard sometimes to know where you stand with people here because in the dominant culture people are not that direct. There seems to be more personal attacks on Seattle threads of CityData than on some other parts of the country threads and I wonder if it has to do with it being inappropriate to be direct in person here. People have to bottle it up in person and so they let loose here. Maybe?
 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,558,597 times
Reputation: 756
The thing is, people come in here spouting off some pretty offensive stuff, and it is praised as being "direct"...but then someone retorts in an equally nasty way, and that comes off as passive aggressive. Please explain the difference to me. Some dude from California starts hurling insults about how much the people suck here, and we are expected to sit there like some docile chump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top