U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,325 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, first time posting here... My girlfriend and I are currently living in ballard, and we both work on lakecity way(I'm in maple leaf, shes actually in lakecity). Come this fall she'll be attending evergreen state In Olympia, and I'll still be working in Lake city.

So were trying to figure out how to juggle this obvious commute issue. We can't really stay in seattle(note that we were going to move anyway, as our current rent is really not worth what we get), so were looking south.

I've been pushing the auburn/federal way area, as it almost cuts her commute in half and mine will not be terrible if I take the sounder to downtown and then bus it to my work.

I would consider dropping my drop altogether, and may even do that still, but I'd rather not as I just got it after ... 9 months of searching for a job and over 95 applications. It's doing something I'm good at (IT) and pay is atleast not minimum wage, and hours are flexible etc.

So, Is there any secret awesome public trans from seattle to olympia I'm unaware of? It would be nice if the sounder went all the way to olympia, I'm not really sure why it doesn't to be honest.

Anyway, As for coffee... I recently bought a used Rancilio 2gr espresso machine, and am trying to find someone who can just give it a look over to make sure it works and doesnt have any glaring problems.

Any suggestions for either situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM

14,760 posts, read 18,084,357 times
She can take the sounder to Tacoma then a bus to Olympia but figure over two hours each way. I would consider the best compromise a move to Tacoma area. You can take the train/bus in, she can take the bus to school.
Neither would be too bad that way. Another option is to live closer to Seattle and try to get her classes all on two or three days a week, with a long day
schedule. That's not always possible, though.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
She can take the sounder to Tacoma then a bus to Olympia but figure over two hours each way. I would consider the best compromise a move to Tacoma area. You can take the train/bus in, she can take the bus to school.
Neither would be too bad that way. Another option is to live closer to Seattle and try to get her classes all on two or three days a week, with a long day
schedule. That's not always possible, though.
Yeah, shes already got her class picked out but unfortunately schedules aren't available yet. Evergreen programs typically have at the minimum 3 days off, so we'll see. hoping its a 2-3 day out of the week things, like you mentioned.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM

5,603 posts, read 6,581,619 times
ESC have a board where people are searching other people out for van pool, car rides, et. c.

Commute by Carpool at Evergreen

Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the carpool tip! Hadn't seen that before. Already passed it on to the GF and after the 4th we'll give the coordinator a call and try to work out some stuff.

Another side question popped up, whats a good place in the tacoma area to live? something cheap but safe, our current rent is 800 and we'd like to drop that if we can.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofa View Post
Thanks for the carpool tip! Hadn't seen that before. Already passed it on to the GF and after the 4th we'll give the coordinator a call and try to work out some stuff.

Another side question popped up, whats a good place in the tacoma area to live? something cheap but safe, our current rent is 800 and we'd like to drop that if we can.
Tacoma: I'm not familiar with how much rents are there, but Old Town, 6th Ave, Proctor, Ruston/Pt Defiance, and the Narrows are all good 'hoods. Downtown near UW Tacoma is popular, and the Hilltop has become much better than it used to be.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,469,131 times
The two cities are so far apart and Evergreen is way on the other side of Olympia there is very little in the way of compromise. Even if you live half way between Seattle and Evergreen State College, there will be 40+ miles of commuting or 80 + miles each day or 160+ miles for the both of you in the most congested commuting time of the day and gas now is SO expensive. Be advised, your girlfriend better find a dormitory at the college or enroll at the University of Washington, which will be far more reasonable. Besides, Evergreen isn't all that great of a college.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM

14,760 posts, read 18,084,357 times
Evergreen tuition is about 1/4 that at UW and easier to get into. I suspect that the $7,000+/year tuition savings will go a long way toward their gas.

There is, however, UW Tacoma and also Evergreen has programs in Tacoma.
Another possibility is Green River CC in Auburn, and Bellevue College is highly rated, now offers a BA, and the cost is comparable to Evergreen.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 AM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
The two cities are so far apart and Evergreen is way on the other side of Olympia there is very little in the way of compromise. Even if you live half way between Seattle and Evergreen State College, there will be 40+ miles of commuting or 80 + miles each day or 160+ miles for the both of you in the most congested commuting time of the day and gas now is SO expensive. Be advised, your girlfriend better find a dormitory at the college or enroll at the University of Washington, which will be far more reasonable. Besides, Evergreen isn't all that great of a college.
Evergreen is consistently ranked by US News and World Reports as one of the best small public liberal arts colleges in the country, and their master's programs in public affairs and public administration are highly acclaimed. I went there, and while it's not for everybody, it is a great school.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 10 days ago)

6,818 posts, read 6,533,450 times
Nobody pays full tuition unless they're wealthy, probably UW and Evergreen would end up costing the same with financial aid.

The solution is to live in Oympia and take a commuter plane to work. Just kidding, I don't have a clue about how to solve this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area