Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 18,562 times

Advertisements

I would gloat, too- It is truly stifling here! Thanks again everyone for all of the good tips/advice! I will be heading up to WA in September, just when the heat is peaking here. I am totally stoked!
hOp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,520,978 times
Good North Face jacket is what I'd recommend. Moved here from TX with 90% of my closet being flip flops, tanks and shorts. Wore Levis, Keens and a North Face shell over a fleece my entire first year here. Now I have a more fancy NW wardrobe but the basics never die I love living in Seattle and that's when considering the total package. There's some good, some bad but overall, it's a really special city to call home!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM

102 posts, read 105,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrong84 View Post
.. seriously only tourists have umbrellas.
Don't believe it! I've lived in Seattle for over 40 years, and I carry two umbrellas with me in my car, and also keep one at work. I hate having to carry groceries in the pouring rain without an umbrella, and I never remember to bring a hat.

On to more substantial issues: I highly recommend house sharing, but write up a good description of yourself, your likes / dislikes, a photo, your employment status, and send it with your inquiries, and ask them for a detailed description back.

If they balk, go on to the next. You'll weed out a lot with your first inquiry letter. If they don't like the level of communication, you don't wnat them as housemates.

Communication is the key, and housemates that won't talk about themselves or their feelings or their likes and dislikes are bound to be trouble in very short order.

I think you should also check out the Eastside. It is more upscale, and you might find work easier there - Kirkland and downtown Bellevue both have apartments within walking distance of retail locations with good, high-end salons.

I also think you'll find it easier to find housemates your age if you look in the Eastside craigslist ads. You don't want to have to cross the bridge for work. If you do, the fastest commute is from the Eastside to downtown in the morning, and reversed in the afternoon. They actually reverse lanes on the freeway, and it's a bear trying to do the reverse commute. (living in Seattle, and working on the Eastside).

Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM

541 posts, read 2,134,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
Breaks my heart to read this post. You live in paradise. Please reconsider. Seattle's climate is nearly impossible to get used to if you know better -- and you're from South Carolina, so you do. Consider Ashville, NC or Savannah, GA for artsy. Really nice people here, but really terrible weather. (Been here 8 years, seen it all, finally leaving!)
I completely agree. I cannot wait to get out of here and get to SC. Only a few more weeks!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,039,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
I completely agree. I cannot wait to get out of here and get to SC. Only a few more weeks!
I completely disagree. I lived in the southeastern US for several years...they were the worst years of my life....could not wait to leave.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
You'd have to be seriously anemic to enjoy the weather in the Southeast.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:22 AM

13 posts, read 44,355 times
i'm moving into seattle area as well, and with the weather there being constantly cold (from what i read) i thought of bringing my knee length parka over for the winter. is it too much? but i do have a low tolerance for cold. the parka is thick and wind/water proof i think, and should bode well for snowy days. even though i might look like cotton candy on a stick lol

Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,641,876 times
There will be days in the winter where you will want a parka but temps in the winter are typically in the low to mid 40s. North Face waterproof jackets over a sweater are a good idea in the winter.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM

214 posts, read 647,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post

Come take my place.....SC is by far the worst place I have ever had the misfortune of living and apparently I live in one of the the better places??? If I was not making good money out here I would not be out here.

Some one please find me a time machine to transport me back to 2011 and out of this hot bug infested hell hole

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM

30 posts, read 55,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I completely disagree. I lived in the southeastern US for several years...they were the worst years of my life....could not wait to leave.
I definitely agree with you. The SE is miserable. I'm in East TN (born & raised). It is currently 80 degrees with 70% humidity at midnight...and today was supposed to be a "cold front!" It still got up to 90 degrees with insane humidity. Yuck! I'm taking a 4 day trip in November to see Seattle in it's "gray days" and see how much I like/dislike it. If it's anything like Boston was in early February (cold, windy, maybe a little snowy) then I'll be just fine. I'm planning on moving away from this humid hothouse in about 3 years...anywhere with cooler temps and more culture!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area