Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 18,553 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading all of the great info on these forums for weeks now, but have yet to come across anything that resembles my circumstances...so here goes!

I am in my late 30s, my kids are grown and in college. I have been dreaming of moving to the PNW since I can remember- and I am making this happen. I'm a professional stylist. I'm heading out there in September, and will be staying with a dear friend until I get my bearings and find a place. I have noticed there are quite a bit of "house shares" in Seattle proper, which is where I am hoping to reside- I have never lived in a big city before. Are these a good idea?

I am not a party person, but I am the creative, artistic type. Would Ballard, Fremont or Queen Anne be suitable? Also, I am coming out there with just my clothes- and I am not even sure if my clothes will work out there- is there anything you could tell me is an absolute must-have item for the Seattle climate?

I want to be able to walk to everything- grocery, shops, etc as I am selling my vehicle before I move. If not walk, then ride a bike or take public transit.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank You
hOp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,608,858 times
Welcome Happy, you'll be joining a lot of people who seem to be planning on coming to Seattle with no job and high hopes. Here's hoping it works out for everyone.

Stylists aren't in huge demand in Seattle but you might try Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. Clothes here tend to be practical, a light waterproof North Face jacket and only one heavy coat is needed because while it does snow, it's not often and in the winter it's usually between 40 and 50 (and wet). No one carries an umbrella.

Seattle does not feel like a big city at all, you'll be fine there and public transportation is readily available. No idea on home sharing, I would guess it depends on the roommate.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Thank you- I am a hair stylist, not a clothing stylist.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,608,858 times
Got it, you might check out Gene Juarez.

Full Service Hair Salon & Day Spa Treatments in Seattle - Gene Juarez Salon & Spa

Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the replies, I will continue to peruse the threads for tips and info. If anyone has any experience with house shares in the city, I would love to get some feedback!
hOp

Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 19,322 times
Breaks my heart to read this post. You live in paradise. Please reconsider. Seattle's climate is nearly impossible to get used to if you know better -- and you're from South Carolina, so you do. Consider Ashville, NC or Savannah, GA for artsy. Really nice people here, but really terrible weather. (Been here 8 years, seen it all, finally leaving!)

Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM

507 posts, read 1,663,600 times
I would have thought the 'basic rules of house sharing' are not much different in Seattle to anywhere else. I have never shared a house in Seattle but I have lived in many house shares in different countries. Mainly depending on the people I lived with the experience ranged from 'hell' to 'best time of my life'. It's really important to go there and have a good conversation with the people you are going to live with before you move in, that gives you at least some idea of what to expect. A lot of people try to organize rooms in shared houses remotely and move in without ever having spoken to their future housemates...bound to go wrong.

So, depending on your expectations and your house mates this could be a great or terrible idea. The only thing I would say is that at 39 you're quite a bit older than your 'typical' house sharer which might make it more difficult to find a place you'll feel comfortable in. But anyway, I am sure if you don't rush things you'll be able to find a nice place, depending on your budget a studio apartment might be another option.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,656 times
I just moved here from florida (6 months) however I have family that live in sumter and I stayed there from time to time so knowing how south carolina is here is what I have noticed.

I dont know if you live in charleston or just near by but living in the city will be a big difference to the country that is SC. People are friendly however not as out goingly friendly as in the south. I don't know your eating habits but seattle also has some really awesome restaurants that are not fast food chains which I love but I have yet to find a good barbeque place... kind of sad. Traffic is nothing compared to when I lived in Miami but it can get backed up during rush hour, public transit is better then florida so I cant complain. Besides going to work I just walk every where. There are homeless people everywhere and people will constantly ask you for change. I have never felt unsafe walking around different neighborhoods alone. Parts of downtown and shoreline area do look sketch.

Since you get to stay with a friend to get your bearings I would wait to choose a neighborhood until you actually get here. Since you mention taking the bus which I do... downtown is the hub so getting around is easier if you are only one bus away from downtown then you can link to anywhere. I have always lived with roomates since leaving home and usually not with people I know. Communication is key, ask a lot of questions before moving in and I would just make sure your door has its own deadbolt if possible.

I have not been here through the winter I only came in early feb however I was in south carolina for the winter and coming from florida my cold tolerance is pretty low. You probably have all the winter clothes you will need. What works best for me is a fleece if it gets too cold and I wear a light waterproof hoodie over that or by itself if its just windy. I walked into the columbia store in downtown and said what do I need... seriously only tourists have umbrellas. I hated the heat and humidity so for me seattle is awesome. I am mainly an inside person with the exception of I love to play soccer and I like the rain. So the weather hasnt depressed me in slightest. If you're a sun lover though be warned locals have told me it has been unseasonably cold and wet.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
Yes, in our 18 years here, this is only the second (after last year) where we didn't have sun and warm from July 5th through August. Normally we say that the rest of the year with all the rain is worth it since the summer is so nice, but this year it looks like no summer yet.

Do not try to find a home share situation until you get here. I have had friends, employees, and a daughter that have done it. Look in the Seattle Times, if people are willing to pay for an ad they are more likely to be reasonably normal, as opposed to the possible druggies and perverts
that you risk getting on Craigslist.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,333,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappynessOfPursuit View Post
I am in my late 30s, my kids are grown and in college.
hOp
hOp, I am also in my late 30s; son in college, daughter will be soon. So it is about time to leave NY (yay!!). We are trying to decide between the PNW (Seattle in particular) or SC low country (Charleston, in particular). Since you have personal experience living in Charleston, could you tell me anything about what made you choose Seattle over Charleston? I would like to make sure I'm not missing any of the important points to consider. Personally, Seattle is more enticing to me; but my husband loves the heat and the low country. It is true that both are gorgeous in their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area