Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 8,176 times

Advertisements

Hello people. I'm from MPLS, and I hate the weather here. I've been dealing with it most o my life, and today it's 90 with a dew point of 75, which makes it feel like a tropical nightmare, or the heart of darkness. I like cold weather, though not freezing like it is most of the year here. I am an artist who is pretty secure and established here, so I would need a studio/live/work space. I'm mid 30s, single, and like to bike/walk most places. I have a dog and a cat. I like alternative things. My neighborhood in Minne is super cool, but for some reason has just become over-run with 20 something yuppies, which sucks. Where should I begin looking to live in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM

620 posts, read 1,298,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esayer View Post
Hello people. I'm from MPLS, and I hate the weather here. I've been dealing with it most o my life, and today it's 90 with a dew point of 75, which makes it feel like a tropical nightmare, or the heart of darkness. I like cold weather, though not freezing like it is most of the year here. I am an artist who is pretty secure and established here, so I would need a studio/live/work space. I'm mid 30s, single, and like to bike/walk most places. I have a dog and a cat. I like alternative things. My neighborhood in Minne is super cool, but for some reason has just become over-run with 20 something yuppies, which sucks. Where should I begin looking to live in Seattle?

I guess to help you determine where to live in Seattle, I would need to know why you want to move to Seattle? I think you may find that there will be a large amount of 20 something yuppies in most large cities, and with Seattle being one of the largest tech driven cities in the nation, you'll find a sizeable share here, too.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,846,236 times
Seattle is filled with lots of yuppies though.

The neighborhood to the south of DT, Georgetown is affordable, artsy and at this point not as yuppifed as the other Seattle neighborhoods... ***yet***. Also White Center, alas it's not as artsy but I think the potential is huge. But honestly, I'd personally tell OP to check out Tacoma DT area as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,300,022 times
Is it the "20 something" or the "yuppie" part of your neighborhood that gets to you?
Lots of Seattle neighborhoods are 'yuppie" ( in their distinctive Seattle style), but many of them are populated by lots more 30, 40, and 50 somethings.
Georgetown is awesome. Industrial cool. Artsy, fun.
Capitol Hill has more 20 somethings, but Capitol Hill still puts out this artsy, hippie punk thing. Very urban neighborhood, and not cheap. There's much to like about Capitol Hill. Cool neighborhood, full of energy/vitality.
Places like Renton, Kent, and Burien have a surprising number of artists. What attracts artists to those towns ,nearby to Seattle, is the cheaper living space and that they are a only a 20 minute drive into DT Seattle.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,546,084 times
I sometimes think I haven't a clue what the word "Yuppie" means. Throughout the CD forums it seems to indicate someone lower than a panhandler. I always thought it meant some young kid who graduated HS (a good thing), went to college (a good thing), got a very well paying job after college (a good thing), but kinda flaunts it (a bad thing) by using all that money earned by making great choices (a good thing) to buy a nice car, nice clothes, etc....

Call me old fashioned, but I sure hope my son becomes a yuppie. If flaunting his success is the worst he does, I'll be happy. I'll die a thousand deaths if he turns out to be a hippie....

Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,680,870 times
Well Yuppie stands for (Y)oung (U)rban (P)rofessional. I never thought that was a bad thing and Seattle and the Eastside is full of them. Perhaps the OP would like to consider Oregon? Same weather but a little more laid back?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,546,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well Yuppie stands for (Y)oung (U)rban (P)rofessional. I never thought that was a bad thing and Seattle and the Eastside is full of them. Perhaps the OP would like to consider Oregon? Same weather but a little more laid back?
That's one of the things I like about Seattle. Although it has its grunge and hippie scene, I want my son to see lots of examples of kids who grew up to be successful. I'll avoid a neighborhood full of hippies like the plague. Goes to show how different we all are. One person's trash is another person's treasure...

Of course, there are some very successful hippies. Ever see the old Microsoft picture?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM

299 posts, read 665,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
That's one of the things I like about Seattle. Although it has its grunge and hippie scene, I want my son to see lots of examples of kids who grew up to be successful. I'll avoid a neighborhood full of hippies like the plague. Goes to show how different we all are. One person's trash is another person's treasure...

Of course, there are some very successful hippies. Ever see the old Microsoft picture?
Excellent post. Nothing wrong with being yuppie, preppy, or even a little nerdy if that's what it takes to be successful in life. Hard work, determination, investment and education pay off more than long hair, sloppy dress, drugs, splurging and ignorance.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,337,404 times
Terrific that Seattle has so many examples of successful people - 'yuppies', techies, artists, musicians, engineers, etc, etc. My kids could do a lot worse than following their examples.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,141,335 times
Does Seattle have a lot of hipsters yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area