U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 AM

56 posts, read 134,350 times

Advertisements

Issaquah is the perfect place to raise a family. Nice, and safe. Like vanilla, but a good vanilla, not some generic store brand.

Shopping...pretty much everything you need on a regular basis

There's enough decent restaurants (and a couple good ones) that you don't have to go elsewhere for dinner if you don't want to, but not enough that you won't. You don't have to go to Seattle though - just a short trip to Bellevue and you have a lot more options.

One of the easiest drives to Seattle on the Eastside. The closer you live to I-90, the more willing you'll be to make that drive (as well as to Bellevue). Bury yourself in "rural" Issaquah and you'll spend more time getting to the highway than anything else. Rush "hour" is horrendous; you want to avoid it.

It's also very pretty when the mountains are out, but eventually you'll come to take that for granted. You'll still notice it once in awhile, but if you're moving from someplace flat it's really impressive at first.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,867,940 times
Lived here for 4 1/2 years and I do not take the mountains for granted. It takes my breath away everytime I get the view!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 AM

18 posts, read 26,021 times
As someone who grew up in--and fled-- midwest suburbs (blech!!) and enjoys diversity, vibrancy, culture, and the ability to walk to a corner store rather than having to get in a carbon-emissions generating car every time I leave the house, I can't stand Issaquah and its ilk. Every person I've met from there is so mainstream and brainwashed by corporate culture, so car-oriented, and so fake-ecological while wearing their mall clothes and caking their faces in makeup, I can't imagine living in a place like that. Anyone who lives in such a car-oriented place can't pretend that their recycling makes up for their gas-guzzling SUV. Seriously, the stereotype is so real that whenever we see mainstream, shallow folks in Seattle, it turns out they're from Issaquah. But there you go-- different strokes for different whatever.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Purplegrrl, did you live in Issaquah when you were in Seattle? I see most of your posts are on Manhattan where it looks like you live now. Issaquah one of the more walkable areas on the Eastside with a fantastic downtown and more shopping in it's central location than most Eastside areas, so if you do drive, you don't have to go far. And Issaquah Highlands was designed so that it's inhabitants could walk in the area.

You do win on the SUV comments but most folks I know take the bus to their jobs downtown from here. It's just too expensive to drive an SUV everywhere. There are numerous large park n rides that are packed everyday. Also, this is an area with a lot of families with kids out here that ski and recreate in the area. Plus we get more snow out here so there's actually a reason to own an SUV. SUV's can be good, safe people movers in snow. Or they help in carpooling kids around so less people drive in the end.

As for the caked makeup comment, I disagree. I have never noticed that, EVER. And that's coming from someone who wears very little makeup - mascara only most days. Don't know what you mean by mall clothes. I see a wide variety of dress but mostly folks in comfortable clothes going about their day. Probably ones they bought at Costco because who has time to drive to Bellevue Square and shop when you are working, raising 2+ kids, trying to volunteer at school, run the carpool to sporting or music lessons, etc. I guess that is a mainstream family though... and yes, many of which work at Costco corporate, MS, Amazon, etc.. I don't know about the brainwashed by corporate culture comment. I see it as a "just happy to have a job to support their family" culture. Which is pretty much the type of family that lives in Issaquah.

As for the recycling comment. I love that all my neighbors recycle heavily out here. I guess owning an SUV does compel folks to reduce their carbon footprint in other ways. I lived other places where that was not even remotely the case so I would not pick on Issaquah in my experience. And I grew up in in the midwest too, lived in Denver and Austin. They are leagues behind on recycling efforts relative to Issaquah. My kids compost and recycle heavily at school. In fact, their school in the Issaquah School District won a national recycling award it's first year in existence. Pretty exciting that a school district cares that much about recycling and teaching kids about it that it's result is a national award for it first year out. Oh, the school my kids attend is one of the first green built schools in the district.

Issaquah is not like Seattle, but it doesn't have to be. As you pointed out, different strokes for different whatever. Since my experience is different than yours, and I am a "whatever", I thought I'd post on the topic.

Good luck in Manhattan!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,187,803 times
Texastrigril is totally lying! She comes to our weekly "Keep Issaquah Bland" meetings. Last week, we all got together for a rocking Keeping up with the Kardashians marathon! Today, we're planning on going to the mall in our pink hummers to buy the latest "mall clothes".

Lest you think we're all about fun and games, we're totally politically active too! We're currently gathering signatures for a petition to get Sephora to build a superstore in Issaquah. You can't imaging how much we're suffering without one in town!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM

29 posts, read 39,227 times
Nice comeback Seattlenextyear! We may not be as "green" and cosmopolitan as those slick and kewl New Yorkers, but I will take the Pacific Northwest any day!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Texastrigril is totally lying! She comes to our weekly "Keep Issaquah Bland" meetings. Last week, we all got together for a rocking Keeping up with the Kardashians marathon! Today, we're planning on going to the mall in our pink hummers to buy the latest "mall clothes".

Lest you think we're all about fun and games, we're totally politically active too! We're currently gathering signatures for a petition to get Sephora to build a superstore in Issaquah. You can't imaging how much we're suffering without one in town!
Dang...you outed me! I would petition against a Sephora store though. I would spend too much of my hard earned cash on my caked on makeup look if it were so accessible.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

177 posts, read 305,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
me & my family (husband and 4 young boys) are considering moving from the midwest to a near suburb of Seattle. my husband works out of our home, so we can essentially move anywhere. good schools are our top priority.

can you tell me your overall impression of issaquah? is there a lot to do? a sense of community? is it down to earth or snobby? anything you would like to share from a personal perspective would help. thanks!
Picturesque is the word I would use to describe the place. I lived in Bellevue but commuted to the Microsoft campus out in Issaquah and the drive was always my favorite part of the day. Not very diverse though (i.e. very very white not that there's anything wrong with that).

Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM

When you say it's not very diverse...what are you comparing it to?

I am always amazed by the demographics in my kid's classrooms. Lots of Asians for sure and many Europeans. Not many Hispanic or African Americans but for sure, diverse compared to say, Iowa, where I grew up.

Issaquah School District demographics: Growing by cultures and colors : The Issaquah Press – News, Sports, Classifieds and More in Issaquah, WA

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM

177 posts, read 305,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
When you say it's not very diverse...what are you comparing it to?

I am always amazed by the demographics in my kid's classrooms. Lots of Asians for sure and many Europeans. Not many Hispanic or African Americans but for sure, diverse compared to say, Iowa, where I grew up.

Issaquah School District demographics: Growing by cultures and colors : The Issaquah Press News, Sports, Classifieds and More in Issaquah, WA
I never really saw a lot of Asians out there other than on the Microsoft campus. I will defer to you though. When it comes to blacks and hispanics, Issaquah has virtually none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area