Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM

194 posts, read 194,073 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are contemplating selling our current house. We live in a desirable area of South Bellevue in Bellevue School District. I've noticed most houses in my neighborhood sell within days ($1M+), typically full price and then some, most probably in cash by those coming overseas from Asia. Hence my neighborhood has a high concentration of Asians.

I spoke to my real estate agent. Our current house has great views of Seattle/Cascade Mountains/Partial Lake View, lots of light, and recently opened up the kitchen with new hardwood floors. He stated one downfall is that it is a split level (i.e. When you walk in the front door, you have to either go up or go down via a few stairs. He claims this is a negative for some, especially those from Asia, probably has a negative "Feng Shui" vibe. Disclaimer: Agent also has a split level house fwiw.

Can any RE agents or potential home buyers comment? Do split level homes take longer to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Hi homerboy,

I disagree. Split levels aren't problematic, especially if they are well presented. They can actually be favored by people who have extended families in the same home as the layout provides for the possibility of separate living areas. Also, don't assume your buyers will be Asian, there are lots of people out there. Make it look great, make sure high definition photos are taken, list on a Wednesday. Have open houses that weekend, make the home as available as possible for showings and/or preinspections. Review offers on the following Tuesday or Wednesday. If you have orchestrated things well, you should have some good offers. The view will certainly help.

One more important staging idea. When I list a split level, I try to make the transition area (stairs, landing) as cozy and welcoming as possible. This visually de-emphasizes the disconnectedness of the two levels, can be accomplished with stair rugs, photos, anything to help integrate energetically. Best wishes, Vince.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-22-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I'm wondering if your house is a true split-level. Normally, the term refers to a home with bedrooms a half-floor up from the main floor, with a basement area, which in some cases has a spare bedroom or suite, 1/2 floor down from the main, often right under the bedroom section. A home in which the living room is a couple steps down from the entry is not a split-level. That's just a sunken living room. A home that has an entry on the ground level, say, then two separate wings, each a few steps up, isn't really a true split-level, either.

Anyway, I've seen split-levels get MANY competing offers, and go to the one person offering cash. There seems to be a fair amount of talk circulating, about how split-levels are undesirable, for various reasons, but it all depends on how they're designed, for one thing. But a split-level with lots of natural light and beautiful views will be just as competitive as other homes, or close to it. Don't buy into any negativity.

Instead, make sure your agent does everything possible to market your home effectively. Some of them will slack. Some are juggling too many clients at once, so they don't have time to give your listing the effort it deserves. Others are lazy. Don't go for the one who gives you the highest assessment price, necessarily. Ask them all what their marketing strategy is. Ask questions. Know the various listing venues in your area, in the local newspapers, etc. If there's a certain feature in the weekend newspaper, say, that requires an extra fee to get listed as a "featured property", make it clear you're willing to pay the fee to get on that page. That sort of thing makes a huge difference. Put that in the contract you sign, so that if the agent fails to list your property in such a special feature, he'll be in breach of contract, and you can legitimately quit and find a better agent.

Sometimes you have to watchdog the agent. (Not you, homes ). Have several do a value analysis for you, of comparables in the neighborhood, interview them all, then make a choice. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
I've heard the same thing for the Seattle market, that Splits just don't sell for as much. Personally I would agree that it is a negative for not just some, but many...BUT there are always negatives in buying a home and sounds like your location is a huge positive.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering if your house is a true split-level. Normally, the term refers to a home with bedrooms a half-floor up from the main floor, with a basement area, which in some cases has a spare bedroom or suite, 1/2 floor down from the main, often right under the bedroom section. A home in which the living room is a couple steps down from the entry is not a split-level. That's just a sunken living room. A home that has an entry on the ground level, say, then two separate wings, each a few steps up, isn't really a true split-level, either.

Anyway, I've seen split-levels get MANY competing offers, and go to the one person offering cash. There seems to be a fair amount of talk circulating, about how split-levels are undesirable, for various reasons, but it all depends on how they're designed, for one thing. But a split-level with lots of natural light and beautiful views will be just as competitive as other homes, or close to it. Don't buy into any negativity.

Instead, make sure your agent does everything possible to market your home effectively. Some of them will slack. Some are juggling too many clients at once, so they don't have time to give your listing the effort it deserves. Others are lazy. Don't go for the one who gives you the highest assessment price, necessarily. Ask them all what their marketing strategy is. Ask questions. Know the various listing venues in your area, in the local newspapers, etc. If there's a certain feature in the weekend newspaper, say, that requires an extra fee to get listed as a "featured property", make it clear you're willing to pay the fee to get on that page. That sort of thing makes a huge difference. Put that in the contract you sign, so that if the agent fails to list your property in such a special feature, he'll be in breach of contract, and you can legitimately quit and find a better agent.

Sometimes you have to watchdog the agent. (Not you, homes ). Have several do a value analysis for you, of comparables in the neighborhood, interview them all, then make a choice. Good luck!
Ruth, you are too kind .

Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM

70 posts, read 86,986 times
In my experience selling houses in Bellevue and on the greater Eastside, as long as your house is priced correctly it will sell in a few days split entry or not. In general, most buyers don't prefer split entry homes but in this market buyers can't be too picky. If your agent hasn't already, ask him/her to show you only split entry comparable homes - when I provide a market analysis to my clients, I try to choose only the same style houses if possible. You should be able to see a pattern in the prices of 2 story houses vs. split entry vs. 1 story with basement. Good luck on your sale!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I'll echo what others have said. In a normal real estate market, split entry homes around here are considered a little less desirable. But in this market, inventory is very low, and as long as the house is nice and presents well, it should sell quickly if priced right. When it goes on the market, you should clear out as much of the "landing pad" as possible, to make it appear a little more spacious.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM

180 posts, read 321,581 times
What about homes that are attached to another home? Mine is attached to another home and I never heard a peep from neighbors and these homes arent actually attached if you look at the architectural design. However, these seem to be a big hang-up for most buyers.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 PM

AreWe,

To your question, depends on the price point. As the price goes up, more people expect detached private homes. If you are in a great area, there certainly if a market for your place, just need to price it properly.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 86,986 times
Agreed - you just need to compare apples to apples. Attached house to attached house, detached house to detached house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: