Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 166,512 times

Advertisements

me & my family (husband and 4 young boys) are considering moving from the midwest to a near suburb of Seattle. my husband works out of our home, so we can essentially move anywhere. good schools are our top priority.

can you tell me your overall impression of issaquah? is there a lot to do? a sense of community? is it down to earth or snobby? anything you would like to share from a personal perspective would help. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
Issaquah is not snobby at all. It's pretty. Has the " Issaquah Alps" foothills of the Cascade mountains, great for hiking. Downtown Issaquah is an old fashioned style downtown with a decent sized library, shops, and restaurants, but not far from downtown are all kinds of well known stores, ranging from Target to Lowes to Trader Joes to a multiplex movie theatre.
Downtown Issaquah has godawful traffic at rush hour. Front Street just wasn't built for as many cars as it sees.
Issaquah Highlands is just up the hill, with nicer newer construction and shops. The only thing I don't like about them is that the yards are tiny, but that works for a lot of people...A little further up the hill is Sammamish, more residential ( but also with shops and restaurants), and a couple of very nice lakes ( Pine and Beaver)...The southern part of Sammamish is in the Issaquah school district...
That Issaquah is near I-90 is a good thing.There are back roads to get into Bellevue if you feel the need to avoid the freeway, but getting into Seattle will require a bridge ( or a very long way around)...One complaint I've heard about parts of Issaquah is that there are " too many trees" which makes some houses a little dark.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM

291 posts, read 685,989 times
White families, very clean, good schools, quiet, more conservative and less liberal, more Christian, higher incomes, soccer moms, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, good family life, the American dream, close enough to the city yet far enough away to escape all the trash, and lots of beautiful pacific northwest nature.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,512,511 times
We live in South Sammamish (Pine Lake area) and love it and Issaquah. If you are into open space, natural beauty and great schools, it's a great place to live!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM

127 posts, read 400,069 times
We live in South Sammamish too and it's a very pleasant and beautiful place to live. I work in DT Seattle and use the bus daily to get there and for me that is better than living in a big city.
Beaver and Pine Lakes are really nice and Sammamish library is great. Good access to the mountains and recreation too.
3 of my kids go to the local public schools (Elem/Middle/High) and they seem pretty good as far as the American education system offers.

However, it is the 3rd most expensive housing in the Greater Seattle area, after Mercer Island and Bellevue, so you would need to spend around $200 per sq ft if you bought a house or $1 per sq ft if you rent (2200-3000 sq ft). Don't expect much land with that either, our current rental place has a back yard which consists of 10" of concrete with tall trees, so it is dark most of the day.
I have seriously considered moving to the Midwest so I can afford more than a postage stamp of land, but then I would have to put up with the extreme climate and mosquitoes!

Seattle is often very cloudy and damp (Nov-June), supposedly it has a nice summer but I've not experienced one yet. Then again I'm currently in England so perhaps they're having one now??

Old 08-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
We live in South Sammamish too and it's a very pleasant and beautiful place to live. I work in DT Seattle and use the bus daily to get there and for me that is better than living in a big city.

Seattle is often very cloudy and damp (Nov-June), supposedly it has a nice summer but I've not experienced one yet. Then again I'm currently in England so perhaps they're having one now??
No, we had heavy fog until early afternoon, currently sunny but only 50 degrees here on the waterfront.

I take the 216 or 218 bus from Sammamish to Westlake. Great to have the woods, lakes and trails to go home to after the water and mountain views at work.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,512,511 times
Did you say 50 degrees on the waterfront? Komo news weather is showing DT Seattle at 71 degrees and Sunny!!! It's GORGEOUS out here in Sammamish. Could not have more perfect weather than what we have at the moment IMO.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,744,933 times
"me & my family (husband and 4 young boys) are considering moving from the midwest to a near suburb of Seattle. my husband works out of our home, so we can essentially move anywhere. good schools are our top priority.

is there a lot to do?
"

Lots of outdoor stuff: hiking, biking, boating, kayaking, paragliding, and not far from skiing. Indoor stuff? There's some shopping, a nice farmers market, a movie theater, a bowling alley, a Y and a few good restaurants, but not much in terms of culture or museums (there's one community theatre that does a few musicals per year). Luckily, its a fairly short bus ride or drive into Seattle for much better restaurants.

Also, there's plenty of non-Christians and non-white people here. Enough of us vote democrat that there's bike lanes and a grocery co-op. But yeah, thanks for that, Skippy.

a sense of community?

Its stronger in certain neighborhoods than others. Khalanie is most notable for its neighborhood cliques. Unfortunately, with that comes the HOA gestapo that fines you for letting clover grow in your front lawn.

Clover? OH NO!

is it down to earth or snobby?

You'll find both. Depends on your social circle. We live in the valley which is more down to earth. The Highlands is more cliquey.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Did you say 50 degrees on the waterfront? Komo news weather is showing DT Seattle at 71 degrees and Sunny!!! It's GORGEOUS out here in Sammamish. Could not have more perfect weather than what we have at the moment IMO.
I went for a walk and it was windy and cold on Alaskan Way, while the sun was shining and likely warmer up at about 4th Avenue. By the time I left at 4pm it was clear and 72, and close to 80 when I got home at 5.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,752,663 times
Issaquah is great. Great town, great setting, great parks and open spaces, great schools with great academic and sports programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area