Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,984 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in East Texas and have a daughter that lives in Seattle with our only 2 granddaughters. We are looking into retiring in a few years to Washington, but we know how very expensive real estate and housing is. Any suggestions of towns within a couple of hours or closer to Seattle that are retiree friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,872,722 times
Sequim - make sure you look up its pronunciation before moving there.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,888,217 times
We retired to Poulsbo from Florida nearly five years ago to be closer to our family in the Seattle area. We really enjoy the small town living here and feel this location is perfect for us. It's great to be just 90 min from Seattle for family get-togethers (as well as the airport), and to also be close enough to the Olympic Peninsula for day trips to the ONP and coast. We spent quite a few years selecting our new hometown and are still very happy we chose Poulsbo. I'm not sure it's as "retiree" friendly as Sequim, but it sure is friendly! We landed in a great welcoming neighborhood, walking distance to our quaint little downtown and also just a few blocks from the waterfront. Here's a few of the other towns we were considering that you might want to check out: Anacortes, Pt. Townsend, Sequim, Gig Harbor, and Coupeville & Langley on Whidbey Island. These are just a few--there are so many good choices depending on your specific wish list. Good luck with your search!

Lynn

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,327,503 times
The island communities strike me as more retiree friendly. Poulsbo is an excellent suggestion.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,125,281 times
Seattle is not a good place to retire. It's much too expensive for retired people. I would suggest doing a Google Search on 'Best places to retire in the U.S.' You will find it very helpful.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,914,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Seattle is not a good place to retire. It's much too expensive for retired people. I would suggest doing a Google Search on 'Best places to retire in the U.S.' You will find it very helpful.
They want to be "within two hours of Seattle", not in Seattle proper. There are plenty of great places to retire in WA!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,264,371 times
And the OP didn't ask about retiring in the Seattle area because she likes salmon and espresso. She's got a daughter and grandchildren in Seattle and wants to be near them.
And yes, there are all kinds of places within a couple of hours from Seattle that are less expensive.
Lynn beat me to the punch, I was going to suggest Poulsbo. Charming, nice town.
Tacoma, near Point Defiance Park or the Proctor District would be a great place to live. So would Gig Harbor. Olympia is nice. Bellingham is nice. Port Townsend gets less rain, and is an artsy Victorian town.
Langley on Whidbey Island is drop dead gorgeous.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,984 times
Thanks to all of you for your imput. We wouldn't move at all from Tyler Tx if it weren't for our daughter and her family, so we would only move close to Seattle or not at all. We hate missing out on piano recitals and school events and programs.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clroberts View Post
My husband and I live in East Texas and have a daughter that lives in Seattle with our only 2 granddaughters. We are looking into retiring in a few years to Washington, but we know how very expensive real estate and housing is. Any suggestions of towns within a couple of hours or closer to Seattle that are retiree friendly?

My husband and I own 2 building parcels a little over one hour from Seattle. The parcels are view parcels that are ready to build on. They are located in a small community in Snohomish County just north of Seattle. Please email me directly for photos and more info. [EMAIL="mavfan@wavecable.com"]mavfan@wavecable.com[/EMAIL]

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,560 times
It is quite a coincidence that you are from Tyler. My husband was a police officer in Henderson, TX and we still have lots of relatives in East Texas. My husband is a fishing guide and if you are interested in buying our property I am sure he would love to take you fishing in the Northwest. Our lots are $55,000 each and as I mentioned before they are ready to build on. They are located in Darrington, WA in Snohomish County with lots of outdoor recreational opportunities year around. [EMAIL="mavfan@wavecable.com"]mavfan@wavecable.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area