U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM

27 posts, read 64,901 times

Advertisements

OP, I'm not sure how we got on to Bellevue. There is no reason why a 40-something (I'm a 50-something and my husband a 60-something) wouldn't be happy living downtown (we're in the Met, one of the properties mentioned above). SLU would be fine, too, just a streetcar ride away from downtown.
Not sure what everyone's definition of "night life" is, but if you'd like to walk to the library, symphony, ballet, movies (independent/chain theatres), galleries, playhouses, farmers markets, etc. and hop on light rail or the monorail for a couple of minutes to get to the stadiums, clubs and/or Seattle Center, DT is the nexus. I'm sure there are many nice things of that ilk in Bellevue, and it is more of a 'burb like Plano, but the opportunities in DT cannot be matched. However, if you fear diversity, the burbs are admittedly a better bet.
I have been in Plano and Dallas -- am originally from Houston. You will be fine once you substitute "quirky," "artistic" and "enriching" for "nice." If the word you really wanted was "bland," by all means, head for the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:48 PM

90 posts, read 98,560 times
I'm in agreement with most of the posters here. I'm 40+ and I lived in Belltown for several years and while it does seem to be a vibrant neighborhood on a Saturday night, I felt like I was being passed by the younger hip crowd. If Plano suited you, then Bellevue or even downtown Kirkland would be fine for you, they both have a nightlife too, but on a much smaller, easier to take in for the 40+ crowd scale

Yes there is a lot to do if you have the extra income that would support a lifestyle of endless entertainment at big city prices. But if mall walking and being near a Safeway is more to your liking, then I would go with the burbs.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 AM

4,579 posts, read 8,439,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfdsouza2001 View Post
I would pick downtown bellevue over Seattle. I read from post that you are looking for some night life. I recently showed some apartments to clients of mine the rents are affordable and you should find something in your range.
I agree with dtWilm. I worked in dt Bellevue for 5 yrs and if you want some sort of nightlife Bellevue is NOT the answer. The OP is 40 something, not 80+. Dt Seattle rent might be slightly higher but you get many more amenities from cultural to restaurants to coffee shops to the Pike Place Market. Its much more walkable. Dt Bellevue is not even on par with Plano. Head to dt Seattle and good luck!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM

436 posts, read 404,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWilm View Post
Not sure what everyone's definition of "night life" is, but if you'd like to walk to the library, symphony, ballet, movies (independent/chain theatres), galleries, playhouses, farmers markets, etc. and hop on light rail or the monorail for a couple of minutes to get to the stadiums, clubs and/or Seattle Center, DT is the nexus. I'm sure there are many nice things of that ilk in Bellevue, and it is more of a 'burb like Plano, but the opportunities in DT cannot be matched. However, if you fear diversity, the burbs are admittedly a better bet.
To each their own as always. Here's a different perspective...

Bellevue is highly diverse, if you're looking outside of downtown. There are 20 first languages spoken here; you can hear a lot of them walking around. Thanks in part to that diversity there are so many choices for restaurants now, especially including Redmond and Issaquah, that there's hardly a need to go to Seattle for interesting food. Do I want Malaysian? Check, Bellevue's got it (okay, Redmond, technically). El Salvadoran? Brazilian? We've got those too.

Ballets and symphonies are boring to me; I have to think that applies only to a small segment of people. But Bellevue's got the symphony anyway. And opera. And art. And theater, as in plays. Only in Bellevue, the parking is easy and you don't have to wade through panhandlers to get to it.

The light rail is nice indeed. It'll extend to Bellevue eventually. The monorail is strictly a tourist attraction that takes a long time to pay for and board. I can almost walk its route faster.

Bellevue has farmer's markets and u-pick blueberries. We have 70+ mostly pristine parks. No need to watch your back! Bellevue has an embarrassment of riches in terms of public space and trails. The regional library in Bellevue is far better than the DT Seattle library, IMO. The current (as in new-ish) book selection is better and the internet is 20 times faster--I've measured.

What Bellevue doesn't have much of is the grittiness and quirkiness that can make a town more interesting. We'll never match Seattle in some areas that come from size and population density. It can be boring here, like at those parks that are often deserted if only because we have so many to choose from. When I need what Seattle has to offer that Bellevue can't, I go there. I'm only 20 minutes away outside of rush hours, after all. But for most of what I want Bellevue (the Eastside) has it, and it's safe and easy to find parking. I lived in Seattle proper for years. All things considered I now think living and working on the Eastside, and just visiting Seattle, is better. If I had to work in Seattle though, that would probably tip the hat to it, given the difficulty of commuting between the cities.

Last edited by Jalhop; 09-03-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Why even compare spread out suburban communities to the hub of the region. Yes the eastside has a variety of restaurants but to get to them you will have to drive, and not around the corner either. I happen to love the symphony, theater, jazz, an occassional concert, picking up fresh fish and flowers, taking a ferry ride, shopping, eating at a nice restaurant, enjoying a professional football or baseball game, strolling around Pike Place Market. And the most important thing of all, having all of this in YOUR neighborhood at your feet.
And about the library. You know and I know the central library in dt Seattle is the finest, the most complete and biggest in the region.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You know and I know the central library in dt Seattle is the finest, the most complete and biggest in the region.
At the new version of the library I've found the same ancient selection of books, that are so dirty I want to wash my hands afterwards. (Only a few subjects checked, though.) The bathrooms stink from the vagrants. Parking is tough or costly. The internet is dog slow, almost unusable. On the plus side the building looks great, and I like the cafe.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
At the new version of the library I've found the same ancient selection of books, that are so dirty I want to wash my hands afterwards. (Only a few subjects checked, though.) The bathrooms stink from the vagrants. Parking is tough or costly. The internet is dog slow, almost unusable. On the plus side the building looks great, and I like the cafe.
Just think, if you lived in dt Seattle you wouldn't have to worry about things like parking. Also I've probably used their internet more than anybody thru the years and I never had a problem. Oh, and when you step out of the library after reading and you're hungry you're within 2 or 3 blocks from Mccormicks, Brooklyn, the Capital Grill, the Wild Ginger, Rock Bottom, Purple, Tula's, the Olympic Fairmount Hotel and a few others I can't remember.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Just think, if you lived in dt Seattle you wouldn't have to worry about things like parking. Also I've probably used their internet more than anybody thru the years and I never had a problem. Oh, and when you step out of the library after reading and you're hungry you're within 2 or 3 blocks from Mccormicks, Brooklyn, the Capital Grill, the Wild Ginger, Rock Bottom, Purple, Tula's, the Olympic Fairmount Hotel and a few others I can't remember.
True that, I took the bus there too. Bellevue's library has many restaurants (a couple dozen, I'd say) within 4 or 5 blocks, including upscale ones, a Rock Bottom and McCormicks. Once you're 2 blocks from the library you can get to many restaurants while covered from the rain.

I looked it up to see that the King County Library System (of which Bellevue is part) has a 70% larger selection than Seattle's system. (King County's is the nation's busiest.) I do have a Seattle library card though. Seattle's library has a sharing system with King County that makes the former accessible to all King County residents, perhaps vice-versa too.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM

18 posts, read 24,448 times
Does bellevue have a high crime rate? Run down areas? I was told that Ballard is also a nice area?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 PM

18 posts, read 24,448 times
I would Like to live in downtown Seattle because of the water views if I can afford it but I am concerned about crime specially drug dealing, roberries and the homeless, in downtown Dallas the city seems to be very strict about the homeless since we hosted the superbowl last year and world series you see much less homeless in the streets I do feel sorry for them, I don't know how big of a problem this is in Downtown Seattle.

Last edited by umeasauri; 09-05-2011 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area