Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice for two people looking for a place to rent in Seattle, where one person has bad credit, and the other has good credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
Walk/drive around in the neighborhood you want to live and look for "for rent" signs, as well as utilizing Craigslist. My recommendation is to try to deal with owners rather than corporate rentals and then be upfront about your situation. Each get a copy of your credit report and offer to show it before applying (which will save you $25-50 each a pop). Be prepared to put down a bigger security deposit (perhaps extra month's rent) if asked for extra security. I say deal with the owners (face to face) if you can rather than corporations, because they will see you more as a real person than a number and will be able to see you as honest people who just hit a rough patch...more willing to give you a chance.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,327 times
What is the definition of bad credit? I have never heard of anyone being turned down for an apartment for purely having bad credit; usually, they would have to have an eviction or two, plus former charges from a landlord that has never been paid off. Otherwise, if it was just a few bad credit choices that dealt with credit cards or student loans, but you make a decent wage to cover the rent plus your expenses, then they ask for first and last month's rent in addition to the regular deposit. Some are even flexible to allow you to pay for the last month's rent in installments.

I had several health-related debts (surgery, hospital stays) that weren't covered by my insurance that went to a collector; I was paying them off but they did effect my credit score and I did have to pay a larger deposit before moving into an apartment and that was even a corporate owned complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: