Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times

Advertisements

I have the chance to compare two Seattle neighborhoods; Capital Hill and Wallingford. Capital Hill has been our neigborhood for 55 years, infact my wife and I are the oldest people on the block. When we moved into this block we were the youngest. By contrast, my daughter and son-in-law are the newest family in their neighborhood block in Wallingford. They are just settling into their new home. So, I'm am comparing the two neighborhoods. Our neighborhood has million dollar plus homes, their neighborhood has homes between $500,000 to $750,000. In our neighborhood, the only families we know are the older Catholic families, which are now very few. We don't even know our next door neighbors and they never speak to us. When my wife tried to be neighborly to the new family that just moved in next to us, they only responed that they were too busy to chat. The small church in our neighborhood tried to have a neighberly block party. Nobody showed up except the small congregation and ourselves. By contrast, I can't help but compare this to the Wallingford neighborhood my daughter moved into. Even though they just moved in, it seems all the neighbors know them and they chat on the front door. My 2 1/2 year old grandson waves at the passing neighbors and they smile and wave back at him. Murphy's Tavern on 45th seems to be the neighorhood gathering place and is a very friendly place. Capital Hill does not have a neighborhood tav, unless you are gay. Maybe The Hopvine, the Delux, or the Comet. But none of them are like Murphy's on 45th. Then there is the historical 45 Ave. Theater, which the community supports. All the Capital Hill theaters are long gone. Wallingford has the great Good Sheperd Center, where they have a great park, children's play center, Pea Patch, and many fairs and activities.
The question is, are wealhier people who buy these million dollar mansions on Capital Hill automatic less friendly and are too 'snooty' to be ordinary people who can't afford million dollar mansions? Do the wealthy only think of themselves and their luxery Mercedes Benzes, BMW's and lavish interior designed homes, yards and possesions? Are they too busy acquiring 'stuff' that they don't have the time to be neighborly?
So, this survey is asking, which neighborhood in Seattle do you think is the most, 'small town' friendly and neighborly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Which Seattle neighborhood is the most small town friendly and neighborly? Alaska Junction in West Seattle? Columbia City?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I'll go with Columbia City ... always have a great time there.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I vote for the Mount Baker section of Seattle. When I moved in I was welcomed with open arms, cakes and homemade bread. Its one of Seattle's most diverse communities and homes range from $250k to over $2.5 million. My home price was closer to the lower end. Lol! Mount Baker's premier street is Cascadia and the residents on that street are just as down to earth as anywhere else in the community. I could not believe my eyes when I saw kids with lemonade stands in MB especially during the Seafair hydroplane races. Plus the MB Community Center is one of the oldest in the country. Also check out the Mount Baker Christmas Tour of the Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area