Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

Move to Idaho... lol get real.. Idaho is dead.. I know i live there. The conservatives destroyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,668 times
Companies in Idaho hate un-educated conservatives that don't support schools (i.e taxes). Washington/Oregon are the opposite of Idaho.. They actually care about the community and educating their kids.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,035,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunce View Post
I don't think I have read so much hatred towards a city, mainly its people, in my entire life!

Yes, I realize there is going to be **** everywhere and that the internet is going to bring out the worst.. but seriously, its relentless hatred from people I know who live there, multiple websites and blogs and their craigslist too.

They all say the exact same thing..

http://ihateseattle.com/posts/****-seattle--4 (broken link)

Seattle Shmeng :: The Mystery of Why Seattle Sucks

Why Seattle Sucks (http://whyseattlesucks.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

seattle sucks (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rnr/2615254130.html - broken link)
(this is from today, literally 10 people respond, agreeing and stating more things they hate about seattle)

The only reason I'm giving what all these people say so much consideration is because they all pretty much say the exact same thing consistently.. every person who responds agrees too..The article writers don't seem like dumb trolls, they seem to be normal people just venting about a terrible place..

I have experience living in places that suck, that many of the locals like to pretend where they live is the greatest little paradise on earth (when its the last thing), it seems like Seattle is the same.

What do you guys think?

This is the #1 place on my list to move in the next 6 months, gonna be visiting for 5-6 days in a month or so, but I'm worrisome that it won't be enough time to get a true feel for the place. I really really don't want to move to another place, get situated, and end up hating it.

After months of research, Seattle is the only place in our country that has the best of all worlds that I'm looking for:

- Great for small businesses (tech industry, allegedly smart town)
- Low taxes (no income tax)
- Best of both worlds city and nature (REAL nature: mountains, ocean, and somewhat of a real city with all a cities perks)
i find it fascinating that when people look to move to a city. They generally FOCUS on all of the negatives.

People should focus on their interests, and how it correlates with their interests. All cities, all things, all people, have positives and negatives.

If you loved BOW-HUNTING for example, would you read bow-hunting magazines, or would you research on all of the negatives of bow-hunting for a week or two, and than write a post complaining about people who didn't like the sport?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM

687 posts, read 613,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
i find it fascinating that when people look to move to a city. They generally FOCUS on all of the negatives.

People should focus on their interests, and how it correlates with their interests. All cities, all things, all people, have positives and negatives.

If you loved BOW-HUNTING for example, would you read bow-hunting magazines, or would you research on all of the negatives of bow-hunting for a week or two, and than write a post complaining about people who didn't like the sport?
I'm sure the OP is long gone, since this was started 3 years ago.

But if they are looking at Seattle for low taxes and small business friendliness, they're going to be in for a surprise.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 73,536 times
Seattle is a pretty nice place now. It will become ever more a hellhole when more people move over there though. The infrastructure is simply not there to support another 2 million people on a tiny sliver of land surrounded by mountains and cut off by water. Traffic is already extremely painful. You could build subways and tunnels, but that's going to be serious $$$$, which require shifting money from social welfare or pensions (good luck doing that in liberal Seattle) or significantly higher taxes.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 AM

91 posts, read 125,504 times
Like every opinion it all depends on the point of view. To illustrate, I have an unusual first name and back when I was dating I would come across two types of girls: ones would say "oh, what an exotic name that is..." and others would say "what kind of a weird name is that?". Point of view.

Seattle-wise if you are young and come from some small, rural town in US and you have never been outside North America Seattle is a great place to live. GLT community, legal pot, hippie attitudes, liberal politics, relaxed social norms...it all seems great and very different from the established, usual America.

Compared to some other places in the real world like Japan, Europe or Australia Seattle is not so great.
Seattle is lacking some basic things supporting quality of life like efficient public transportation (surface buses don't count) affordable and quality medical care, universal, affordable and standardized education for all, crime prevention as well as rehabilitation programs for both violent and non-violent offenders (incarceration doesn't count as rehabilitation). Those are some serious shortcomings.

I personally love it here (right now at least) despite the above and the fact that local politics and popular opinion here encourages homelessness and drug use. That I do dislike.

Also, this area has a lot of money and money covers many of society's difficulties. If there was no money here this area could potentially suffer a lot. Let us hope that doesn't happen any time soon or at least not until we sell our properties and move. :-)

Nature specifically is wonderful here and almost as good as in Alpine region countries in Europe but wilder. Locally grown and made food here is exceptional.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,347,259 times
Some people love it here. Some people don't.

Ergo, the problem isn't with the "here" but with the internal attitudes of the people.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM

261 posts, read 194,442 times
There simply isn't extraordinarily interesting or great about Seattle.

It is a place that was made popular due to films so as to get it in the map in the '90's.
It has had some interesting musicians.
It once had a frontier attitude that is now going homogenous like everywhere else.

There really isn't any 'ooomph' in Seattle. It is a place where people go to work with a typical climate for its latitude and a political mindset typical of a homogenous culture, like Scandinavia, no great region itself no matter all the hype.

Does it 'suck'? Well, its dull and the people who were here before the more recent influx are abominably staid/tedious.

The only reason to live in Seattle is if you are in biotech, software, internet retail and real estate. Or on the lam.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
There simply isn't extraordinarily interesting or great about Seattle.

It is a place that was made popular due to films so as to get it in the map in the '90's.
It has had some interesting musicians.
It once had a frontier attitude that is now going homogenous like everywhere else.

There really isn't any 'ooomph' in Seattle. It is a place where people go to work with a typical climate for its latitude and a political mindset typical of a homogenous culture, like Scandinavia, no great region itself no matter all the hype.

Does it 'suck'? Well, its dull and the people who were here before the more recent influx are abominably staid/tedious.

The only reason to live in Seattle is if you are in biotech, software, internet retail and real estate. Or on the lam.
Truth. Boring, boring place, but very good for career and raising children. To each their own, I'm outta here.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,122,898 times
Quote:
......The only reason to live in Seattle is if you are in biotech, software, internet retail and real estate. Or on the lam.
It's also a good place to sell SAD lights, or to be a beggar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area