U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 44,587 times
Question Does Seattle Really Suck That Much?

I don't think I have read so much hatred towards a city, mainly its people, in my entire life!

Yes, I realize there is going to be **** everywhere and that the internet is going to bring out the worst.. but seriously, its relentless hatred from people I know who live there, multiple websites and blogs and their craigslist too.

They all say the exact same thing..

http://ihateseattle.com/posts/****-seattle--4 (broken link)

Seattle Shmeng :: The Mystery of Why Seattle Sucks

Why Seattle Sucks (http://whyseattlesucks.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

seattle sucks (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rnr/2615254130.html - broken link)
(this is from today, literally 10 people respond, agreeing and stating more things they hate about seattle)

The only reason I'm giving what all these people say so much consideration is because they all pretty much say the exact same thing consistently.. every person who responds agrees too..The article writers don't seem like dumb trolls, they seem to be normal people just venting about a terrible place..

I have experience living in places that suck, that many of the locals like to pretend where they live is the greatest little paradise on earth (when its the last thing), it seems like Seattle is the same.

What do you guys think?

This is the #1 place on my list to move in the next 6 months, gonna be visiting for 5-6 days in a month or so, but I'm worrisome that it won't be enough time to get a true feel for the place. I really really don't want to move to another place, get situated, and end up hating it.

After months of research, Seattle is the only place in our country that has the best of all worlds that I'm looking for:

- Great for small businesses (tech industry, allegedly smart town)
- Low taxes (no income tax)
- Best of both worlds city and nature (REAL nature: mountains, ocean, and somewhat of a real city with all a cities perks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,207,835 times
I'm sure you'll find people in every city in the world who, for one reason or another, hate it there.
So what?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 6,951,317 times
I think you must understand this site is set up so that if anyone has anything negative to say about a city, they can say it here.

Everything must be taken with a grain of salt. Seriously.

The best way to experience a city is to simply visit it. Understand the only thing that is variable is the weather. Then ask, would I like this city despite the weather? If the answer is yes, then you have about 90% of your answer.

Seattle is not for everyone, but it IS for many. You have to make that call, and you can do it one of two ways. Visit and explore, or simply move and then decide. The former is the best way, but the latter is another way, but could be more expensive if you end up hating it.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM

456 posts, read 550,208 times
Chaunce, your probably reading from people who can't figure out that there are more meaningful things to do in life than to bash a place or person all the time. Hurting people hurt other people. They need to get a life and get outdoors. They live (and maybe you someday) in one of the finest cities in America but are too caught up in the small things that are inconsequential.

Here on city-data, you'll find alot of positive feedback on Seattle, hopefully you'll spend enough time when you get there to get a good flavour of what it's all about.

I too am considering a move out to the Seattle area, but I must convince the Mrs. first. I've been there several times and absolutely love it. Even the long periods of gray drizzly weather won't bother me, I rather have that than relentless sunshine and searing heat half the year like we experience here in Oklahoma. That may be the biggest issue to deal with as two weeks straight with little if any sun is not uncommon during the winter months. Other than that, work is not that hard to find, there are plenty of good people there and as you said, you have a plethora of choices for entertainment and outdoor stuff to choose from.

So don't let other people's attitudes get in the way. Attitude is everything in how you deal with stuff. I'm sure you'll be convinced in your decision once your around there for a few days. Don't forget to take the ferry a couple of times, that will solidify your decision in itself

Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 PM

906 posts, read 946,830 times
There are a lot of people with NO TASTE at all, those are the types bash cities like Seattle. Those type of people probably love cookie cutter generic places like Dallas or Phoenix. On the other hand, people with GOOD TASTE love Seattle. And I'm not a biased Seattle-ite, I live in San Diego but love Seattle.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 44,587 times
I appreciate the comments, pretty much reinforcing what I was thinking. Its really the sheer amount of relentless hatred towards Seattle, in virtually every place I've looked that has made me second guess. I'm sure I'll get a better idea when I visit soon. I only worry that I visit, like it because I don't really know it, move there, and then hate it once I see it for what it is.

I couldn't care less about the "small things". Many articles on Seattle have given me a feeling that Seattle has the "small town" feeling, which to me, is the destruction of diversity and generally - the people who live there more likely to hold the same views, act the same, etc. 100% the opposite of what I'm trying to get away from.

I'm simply looking for a place with reasonably low taxes, small business friendly (online business, product development, consulting) access to the perks of a real city, and real nature.

Other than taking a ferry, is there any recommendations of what I should do/visit that should help give me a feel of the area? I'll be checking out as many neighborhoods as possible, some islands, restaurants, pike place market and nearby nature.

- Hate tourist stuff
- Hate college areas
- I'm from Chicago (and love it, just hate the heavy taxes and no real nature, mountains, outdoor recreation)

Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 PM

13,664 posts, read 15,649,832 times
If Seattle was so bad we wouldn't have so many people moving here. I think we're at about 60% from other states/countries now. Many of the people posting about how bad it is are seriously just trying to keep more people from moving here. I live 20 miles east but work in Seattle and it has it's problems, mostly due to the inept city leadership, but it's still a great place. OK, so I watched cops pull guns on a guy as I walked by 1st and Pike the other day,
that's the first time in 3 years working in Seattle. When I worked in Oakland it was an every day thing. You can't beat working with a view of the working waterfront, Olympic Mountains, Mt. Rainier and the city skyscrapers.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,018,529 times
I visited Seattle. Its quite a beautiful city. The rain, ocean, mountains, green landscape is what makes it so stunnning, and romantic.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,734,251 times
Nope. Seattle is a great place to live for many of the millons that call it home here.

Some of the blogs you posted didn't seem to have much traffic. And really, you can Google "I hate (fill in the blank with a city name)" and you will get hits pretty extensive hits on it. I tried it on Denver, Chicago, Austin (3 great cities IMO) and many others (of course NYC and LA have plenty of haters).

Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM

253 posts, read 286,328 times
I've lived in Alabama (Atmore, Mobile and Auburn), Georgia (Rome and Columbus), North Carolina (Fayetteville), and Germany (Heidelberg). I've also traveled pretty extensively. By far Seattle is my favorite place to live in the US. It's also one of my favorite cities period.

I don't know what people are complaining about. Growing up in the Deep South, I'm not a typical Seattleite but I had no problem making great friends out there. Hell my wife is from Seattle (well, she grew up in Burien and Des Moines, does that count?). People from back home had such a great time when they came out for my wedding that when I get back from Afghanistan they are planning for a return visit. A couple are even actively trying to move out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area