Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM

410 posts, read 1,519,608 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the long post.

I am still on the fence between Seattle area and Olympia/Port Angeles area. I love trees and want to be near the water if possible. I am trying to keep things in perspective though (have lived in the "city" for 7 years with light rail construction right outside for the past 5 and hate it!).

I have tried to get on at the "big companies" for the past 4 months and can't even have my resume survive the job closing date (no big surprise though). I'm not in IT or anything spectacular like that...lol

I am finishing my MBA next month and will be heading up there after that. My son may or may not accompany me on that trip though.

So...for a few questions:

Is there any need for MBA's up there? I have a retail/hospitality/non-profit background but can't get any response to my applications.

I notice that rents are high and that causes some concern. Are wages high enough to pay those rents? Where I am now, rents are about $100-200 lower for same type of apartment but wages are VERY low (min. wage as often as possible). I had to move back in with MOM (ugh!) to finish school.

If Seattle is anything like a lot of other large cities I have been to, the main areas are not very tree lined. Can you get to "nature" easily (i.e. public transit)? You can't really do that here unless you ski--which I do not.

I love BBQ -- are there any BBQ joints in Seattle or Olympia area? We only have one or two here but not "real" BBQ

Every city has its "secrets" to finding work. What is Seattle's? Here its "play the game or else"...be one of those 24/7 happy people, dress the part, talk the part, and be associated with the right group and you'll find work. Well, I'm none of the above. Been here off and on for 37 years and refuse to play this game any longer.

How are the schools? Right now my son's school is not serving his needs. They care more about teaching Spanish than teaching the kids to read and write. He's in the 2nd grade. Formally tested last week at a 5th grade reading and 4th grade math level. The gifted class still does not have an English only seat available. Been that way since Kindergarten. I'm not saying he's smarter than anyone else but he loves math and science. He really wants a school that has the science fair, book fairs, reflections, spelling bee, etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,659,452 times
Opera, I thought you were coming out to check out both cities? You really should do that. They are only and hour-hour and a half apart. I think you will know which feels right in a day. Olympia is small and sort of hometown. Seattle is larger but is the smallest feeling big city I've ever been too. When people talk about walking downtown, you can walk the whole downtown area in an easy afternoon. Seattle is more expensive. There are more jobs but that's relative to the population and there's competition so it's hard to say how you'll fair. You could walk through Bel Square in Bellevue and put in applications at every store? Maybe your MBA will help and you could apply to a temporary agency while working retail and work yourself out of one into another (that's what I would do in your situation). As for schools for your son, you could look at the Issaquah school district and start exploring apartments that fall there. You could take the bus to Bel Square for work or drive because that is relatively close. Issaquah is known to be a very good school district.

I don't know about Olympia other than driving through and thinking it's beautiful but small. Inkpoe gave you that link for reduced cost childcare and I thought that was a really good thought. You are taking a gamble being alone with a seven year old son, but if you're living on $150. a month for food, I'm really hoping you do better here for the sake of both of you. You really can't know until you come see and decide for yourself.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,281,549 times
There are tree lined streets within the city of Seattle and it's very easy to get out to nature. There are tons of nice places to hike both within the city and nearby. Good BBQ, on the other hand, is hard to come by. Some good places exist, but they're not common.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Opera, I thought you were coming out to check out both cities?
I am planning on that. Hope to find a job or have good job leads first. I asked my son if he wanted to come on the trip and he got so excited...lol. He hasn't been this excited about the prospect of moving. I have been showing him pictures of the whole area. He really likes the Port Angeles area because he saw more water there. Olympia has more trees. Seattle is a big city. Keep in mind he's only 7 and hasn't been anywhere out of here before. To him nature is something we see when we go to a small park that has a creek in it...lol I, however, have been all over the US (except Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska) and hiked the AT when I was 18. My perfect job would be working outdoors all day. Can't find one of those...especially one that will pay the rent.

Money will be tighter if he comes up with me.

I looked into the sliding scale at the Y and talked to them yesterday. It depends on the school as to how much it is. The lowest they could go (according to the person on the phone) is $75 a week for before/after school care.

I have applied for everything from housekeeping to manager and mostly hear nothing in return. I know some of it is because I am out of state but still...a rejection email would be nice

If I focus on one city/area for the trip then I can cut costs a little bit. I never worried this much about moving before....but never been responsible for another human being before either. Normally I liquidate everything, keep one bag that I really want and move. Personally I would do that again....but I think that would be devastating to him.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Don't get rid of his things, he'll never forget it. And don't go to Port Angeles, it's too small, remote, too everything. Honestly, I would think your focus should be Seattle. And I think you should check in with Social Services your first day. I'm sorry if others disagree but if you can get some help, even food coupons or whatever they offer (I'm not sure how it works) it might help. I would say bring your son if you're concerned about your mom but didn't you say you would be sleeping in your car? That's very concerning. Our areas are pretty safe but who wants to gamble on that one. If there are cheap Southwest flights, I would take a round trip early morning and go apply at Bell Square all day and fly back that night. The odds of you getting a job from Utah are quite slim because the jobs you are applying for can be filled by anyone locally. There is no reason for them to hire out of state unless you are already working retail somewhere else that has a local presence so they know you already. If I'm hiring for a general skills worker, I'm going to hire local every time.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM

If I bring him I am NOT sleeping in the car...hence the added expense (an he likes to eat daily...lol).

I want to get out of retail if I can help it. My education is in Economics (BS) and Management and Strategy (MBA). I have volunteered for the past 7 years for a non-profit (now closed) where I used a lot of that knowledge. With my background and education I can do entry-level management, HR, supply chain, etc. Just need a place to start.

I called the temp agencies and several said they would not accept me until I had a local reference. A couple said I could apply and start working here, then "transfer" up there---I called my local office and they wouldn't accept me because I was honest and said I was moving and what the other office said (does that make sense?).

I know local applicants have the edge (as it should be) but many of the positions are listed on company websites--not the local job board. Some of the positions listed with Washington WorkSource are NOT listed on the company website so I don't bother wasting my time and theirs by applying to those.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 AM

I say retail because it's easier to get but for example, you could fly in from Salt Lake on 2/21 (just picked a date) arriving at 10:45 a.m. take the bus to Bellevue, hit numerous companies, possibly set up a PO Box and/or buy a local phone, use the Red Lion Address, stay at the Red Lion in downtown Bellevue for $119. per night, and fly back Friday night for a total of $738. with public transportation or rent a car. Add the cost of your son for the flight, keep checking rates and the travel and hotel could still be done. Bellevue is a hub and safe, plus you can eat at the mall. Red Lion is right there in downtown Bellevue and $119. is a very good rate for downtown Bellevue. Contact local agencies in preparation and tell them you will be here this week as you are returning to the local area. Use that week like crazy, meet every company during the day and check out schools and areas in the evening. By Friday night when you fly home, you should have some ideas and still have you or the both of you set on what you're doing. What doesn't work is where your son would stay while you're meeting companies during the day but maybe there is temporary day care. Someone else might have thoughts on that. I know there is a YMCA in Newport Hills in Bellevue, maybe they offer something and again, you should be safe with your son in a YMCA in Newport Hills. I'm giving you safe areas, not the cheapest but will give you a good feeling.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Also, check this out:Find a job at our Bellevue Career Fair on March 12, 2012

http://bellevuewa.gov/9383.htm

http://www.wa.gov/esd/calendar.htm

I would still make the earlier trip, set up everything including phone and PO Box so you go to job fairs with local info. And the return visit should be even more effective because you will have the confidence of having been here once plus staying at the same hotel.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,834,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
If Seattle is anything like a lot of other large cities I have been to, the main areas are not very tree lined. Can you get to "nature" easily (i.e. public transit)? You can't really do that here unless you ski--which I do not.
Well, Seattle's not like other cities, then. There is green and blue everywhere. If you want nature close by, you could live close to a park, look up pictures of Seward Park, Lincoln Park, Discovery Park, Golden Gardens, Washington Park Arboretum. These are in Proper Seattle, we have many more I haven't yet mentioned and even more out of Seattle.

You mentioned your son likes the water, well... Seattle's better for that than Port Angeles.

Also check out our Parks and Recreation page: Seattle Parks and Recreation Home Page If you want to see more parks, centers, pools and activities these are what they offer. And there's still more offerings out there.

Quote:
I love BBQ -- are there any BBQ joints in Seattle or Olympia area? We only have one or two here but not "real" BBQ
No... Sadly, not our strength here.

Quote:
How are the schools? Right now my son's school is not serving his needs. They care more about teaching Spanish than teaching the kids to read and write. He's in the 2nd grade. Formally tested last week at a 5th grade reading and 4th grade math level. The gifted class still does not have an English only seat available. Been that way since Kindergarten. I'm not saying he's smarter than anyone else but he loves math and science. He really wants a school that has the science fair, book fairs, reflections, spelling bee, etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Again, its all about where you're located. Some areas are really good, others, pretty average and of course we have some rotten schools. Of course, Tops of the Top, best of the State are located in the Eastside, which has a higher price tag to go with. But there are decent school districts around where housing won't be expensive.

The only way your son is going to be learning Spanish if he takes the course in middle/high school... *or* if you put him in an Immersion Program.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,508,208 times
Olympia is still pretty sweet, but, whenever there are the rare snow dumps around here, they always seem to get hit the hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area