Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Really? I would like to see Washington grown bell peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cucumber, bananas, oranges, nuts, asparagus between november and june. All fresh produce up here is expensive up here because it either has to be shipped 1000 miles or grown in a green house locally which is even more expensive.
Between those months, most fruit and veg comes from South America, so it's not exactly fresh anywhere else in the country (the exception being avocados). The Northwest is one of the few parts of the US where asparagus grows wild, so not sure why you included that in the first place.

Face it, you've got a non-starter argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
2.99 yesterday here. The difference is likely state tax difference and cost of overhead in more expensive areas.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Between those months, most fruit and veg comes from South America, so it's not exactly fresh anywhere else in the country (the exception being avocados). The Northwest is one of the few parts of the US where asparagus grows wild, so not sure why you included that in the first place.

Face it, you've got a non-starter argument.
Hey i'm not trying to argue with anyone and you missed my point completely. Most produce is more expensive here. And no, most fruits and vegetables don't come from SA in the winter. Look it up some time.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I lived in CA 40 years and grew our own produce, but in winter the tomatoes were grown in greenouses and came from British Columbia, Canada. The higher prices here are due to the transportation costs, WA is farther from Mexico/SA so more fuel is needed to get things here.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
You have to remember, Washington State has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. So, we will probably always have a higher price then any other state, eccept maybe Hawaii.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM

299 posts, read 666,825 times
Drive a smaller vehicle, invest in a hybrid, drive less, walk more, ride a bike, or use mass transit. There are ways to reduce what you're paying in gasoline prices, so stop complaining and make changes.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 AM

84 posts, read 245,749 times
Everything in the Seattle area is expensive. I moved here from LA and I was shocked that there was no price difference. Rent, real estate, food, gas, it was all the same as LA. Prices are high for no reason that I can see. Without the sunshine too. hahah.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard9080 View Post
Everything in the Seattle area is expensive. I moved here from LA and I was shocked that there was no price difference. Rent, real estate, food, gas, it was all the same as LA. Prices are high for no reason that I can see. Without the sunshine too. hahah.
There is a good reason, the high paying jobs at Microsoft, Boeing and Amazon to name a few. As they hire thousands of employees at a time
there is greater demand for everything and it drives up the price. Add to that the continued immigration of people from other states and countries that come here despite the rain, because they see how beautiful it is.

The topic here is gas, and the prices reflect the income. Here in my area where the median family income is about $130,000 gas is at $4.14 now,
while you can go to less affluent areas and find it still at $3.93.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard9080 View Post
That's exactly right. I was talking to our friends in La Jolla about the cost of rent, turns out their similar size apt is within $50 of ours but their utility costs are much lower. Left us scratching our heads... what the heck are we paying for in seattle? There's also a lot more job opportunities for us in SD.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Then please go to San Diego already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area