Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,402 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been searching high and low to find the answer to this question, but to no avail.

Is it allowable for a lease to require that the tenant forfeit a security deposit if the tenant moves out during the term of the lease without the landlord’s agreement?

It would seem as though the landlord tenant act would not allow this (and this is supported by Solid Ground's web page [mod]link removed[/mod], but I have yet to find anything official that states whether this is or is not allowable.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Count David; 10-10-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It's allowable if stated in the lease. No one can answer this without seeing the lease itself. If you find your copy it will specify the conditions under which they can withhold the deposit.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,402 times
Thanks, Hemlock140. Just to clarify, I'm not asking if the landlord can keep the deposit, I'm asking if it's legal/enforceable to have such a clause included in the lease. It sounds like you're saying, "Yes, it is legal to include such a clause."

Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM

20 posts, read 57,977 times
You should probably consult an attorney personally, the advice of anyone on a random forum on the internet isn't really reliable even if they claim they are 100% certain.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I believe it's legal for a landlord to require a tenant to forfeit his security deposit if the tenant moves out during the term of the lease because when you sign a lease, you are agreeing to pay that monthly rent for the entire term of the lease, even if you move out. So if you rent a place for a year and move out after six months, technically you still owe the monthly rent for the next six months. Keeping the security deposit is ensuring that the landlord gets at least some of that "unpaid" rent. A lot of landlords aren't going to be pricks about it and will return your deposit or only hold you liable only for the amount of time the place is vacant, but by breaking the lease, unless the lease says otherwise, you're liable for all the rent due until the lease expires, so any rent until the lease expires after you move out is considered unpaid rent, and landlords can keep security deposits for unpaid rent. Sucks, but probably legal.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
I always thought the security deposit was ONLY for damages/cleaning for the rental unit and could not be applied to lost rent.

That's why some landlords ask for last month's rent. If you break lease early, they get to keep it. Of course, I believe contractually, the landlord has the right to take you to court for the remainder of the months left on your rental CONTRACT.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
I'm not gonna do the research but here's a start: Chapter 59.18 RCW: Residential landlord-tenant act

I'll suggest that the reference is about having fairly common early termination fee that a LL may be owed be taken out of the SD without additional court process by them.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
pretty much you are not gonna get SD back if you break lease early....sorry

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM

12 posts, read 48,788 times
I am in a similar situation in that I would like to break my lease. I am pretty sure that the landlord can keep all of your security deposit and sue you for lost rents, legal fees and the costs of collection should you break your lease without an agreement with the landlord. I don't think they can collect rents due under the lease and collect rent from another tenant for the same months so if it is leased quickly you would be liable for less monies however should it take a while to lease you would be liable for loss of rent at least those months that you were contractually obligated to pay. My landlord was not open to a lease buy out or to me finding a new tenant so I am stuck for now. Have you spoken to your landlord about those possibilities?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,409 times
Default Security deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I believe it's legal for a landlord to require a tenant to forfeit his security deposit if the tenant moves out during the term of the lease because when you sign a lease, you are agreeing to pay that monthly rent for the entire term of the lease, even if you move out. So if you rent a place for a year and move out after six months, technically you still owe the monthly rent for the next six months. Keeping the security deposit is ensuring that the landlord gets at least some of that "unpaid" rent. A lot of landlords aren't going to be pricks about it and will return your deposit or only hold you liable only for the amount of time the place is vacant, but by breaking the lease, unless the lease says otherwise, you're liable for all the rent due until the lease expires, so any rent until the lease expires after you move out is considered unpaid rent, and landlords can keep security deposits for unpaid rent. Sucks, but probably legal.
I second Ira on the Security deposit. I have faciltated a few leases lately. The language allows the landlord to hold the tenant liable for the entire lease period unless the landlord can find another tenant. In which case the tenant is liable for the cost of securing another tenant. The security deposit can also be kept by the landlord. There are certain exceptions like a job transfer or extenuating circumstances.Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area