U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2011, 02:48 AM

5 posts, read 2,196 times
Default thinking about move from PHX to SEA

I am thinking about a move next year (2012) to Seattle. I do have a few questions.. I will probably be renting a room in a home at first then get my own apartment. I am seeking a range of around $600-700 for 1 bedroom. I have never been up there so I don't know the price ranges of the Metro area.

Also, how decent is public transp? Here in Phoenix it is horrendous. We have a light rail-but only goes from Mesa through Dwtn and ends uptown. I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to work (where ever that may be).

How are the people in Seattle? Friendly? People are not so friendly in Phoenix-I believe. Very spotty to find cool people down here. I hear the NW has pretty laid back and friendly folks.

Finally, what is the best way to get a job there? I work for a local Comm College and I don't want to 'take a leap of faith' only to end up on unemployment and do something stupid while the economy is in a dump.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM

279 posts, read 270,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr3774 View Post
I am thinking about a move next year (2012) to Seattle. I do have a few questions.. I will probably be renting a room in a home at first then get my own apartment. I am seeking a range of around $600-700 for 1 bedroom. I have never been up there so I don't know the price ranges of the Metro area.

Also, how decent is public transp? Here in Phoenix it is horrendous. We have a light rail-but only goes from Mesa through Dwtn and ends uptown. I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to work (where ever that may be).

How are the people in Seattle? Friendly? People are not so friendly in Phoenix-I believe. Very spotty to find cool people down here. I hear the NW has pretty laid back and friendly folks.

Finally, what is the best way to get a job there? I work for a local Comm College and I don't want to 'take a leap of faith' only to end up on unemployment and do something stupid while the economy is in a dump.

Thanks!
I want to start out by saying you are making the right move by wanting to leave Phoenix. I'm from there and things were going nowhere in a hurry. Anyway the unemployment rate isn't the best here but if you can land a decent job you will probably be offered a much higher salary than in Phoenix. I never noticed unfriendliness in Phoenix as much as the stupidity- lots of lowlifes there who dress sloppy, drive like maniacs, and don't put much value in education, culture, or hard work. They do more so here in Seattle area, at least I think so. There are flaky people all over but most people here can at least speak with a decent amount of intelligence. Seattle has a better transportation system than Phoenix but the traffic really isn't any better- that's 1 thing I believe could be better about Seattle. There are lots of cool places to live in the city- downtown has much more to offer than Phoenix could ever hope to but COL is higher here. $600-$700 per month won't get you much of anything decent up here, but you can live in a suburb like I do and get something reasonably-priced. Only drawback is your commute to work might be lengthy. It's a matter of setting your priorities and what you want from a city. I was so sick of the brown drab rainless, sun-baked lifestyle of Phoenix and making squat wages there, but I was offered a job in Seattle earlier this year and so far I have been much happier here than there. Myself, I am making more money in Seattle than I could ever hope to in Phoenix. Groceries, gas, and a few other things are more expensive here but I am also saving money by not paying the high water and power bills - don't have to constantly water a lawn or trees to enjoy the greenery, and I don't have to run the air-conditioner day and night for 5 or 6 straight months. We get our moisture and air-conditioning the natural way and with no cost. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, and good luck.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM

12,696 posts, read 13,965,117 times
If you have been working at a public agency you will have e better chance to get a similar job here. Have a look at the link below, and check it regularly.

People in Seattle are friendly enough, strangers will talk to you at the bus station or in line at the grocery store, but it does seem hard to make a lot of friends that way. Ours have come from work, though the kids and school or
strange as it may seem meeting people on forums like this one but more specifically for hobbies.

Cannot get the link to work from the forum. Search for AWC in google (Association of Washington Cities). Click on it, then select jobnet in upper right area.

(http://www.awcnet.org/apps/jobnet/search.asp%5C - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area