U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM

505 posts, read 775,648 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could answer the following question:

I have an Orca card of the kind you prepay with a certain amount of money and then every time you ride a bus the fare is deducted from the card, so I haven't got the monthly ticket on the card.

Occasionally I ride the SLU trolley which doesn't have any Orca card readers. I know that if you have a monthly ticket Orca card you can use it to ride the Trolley and just keep the card in your pocket. Very occasionally there are ticket inspectors who will then check it.

Does anyone know how it works with the prepay-Orca card? Since there are no readers I can't use it to pay. I just spoke to Metro CS and the guy didn't know, then spoke to somebody else and said you can use it and when an inspector comes you swipe the card on his machine. This would mean though that you only pay on the trollet if an inspector comes on which only happens very rarely. Sounds very strange to me.

Is anybody here who uses a prepay Orca on the SLU trolley and has been checked by an inspector? Did you have any trouble with them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Really no Trolley riders with prepay Orcas here? (You see, I am avoiding the infamous trolley acronym here )

Old 11-07-2011, 04:37 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,428,419 times
Perhaps you should use the acronym

The only information I could find on that is through this link (which is a couple years old) ORCA passes now accepted on **** - Seattle Transit Blog However, if they haven't yet set up orca readers, I can only assume that they are still assuming possession of the Orca card as proof of purchase.

Perhaps look at the FB: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=166778866683285&topic=398 (broken link)

Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks for that link . It seems like they had planned to put Readers on the platforms but that still hasn't happened. According to this link as an 'e-purse' Orca user you can't use your card officially...which is not in line with what the CS guy told me...so that doesn't really get rid of the confucison I guess I'll just riding on it until I come across a ticket inspector, see what happens. I should have recorded the CS phone call for reference...

Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 AM

253 posts, read 301,441 times
Your Orca card alone is POP.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
Thanks, are you confident this includes 'e-purse' Orcas, not just the usual ones with the monthly tickets on them?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM

253 posts, read 301,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Thanks, are you confident this includes 'e-purse' Orcas, not just the usual ones with the monthly tickets on them?
Yes.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 AM

595 posts, read 632,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
This! I was visiting again last weekend and an inspector was there. I just showed him my Orca card and that was it. I'm guessing they just presume you have funds on it

Oh and mine's e-purse. So excited my move is only six months away!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks very much for letting us know, e-purse it is from now on on the SLU trolley :-)

Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM

8,288 posts, read 14,621,093 times
The South Lake Union Streetcar (SLUS, is that the acronym you meant?) is owned by the city of Seattle, but operated and maintained by Metro/King County. The city pays Metro, so Metro will collect money per their agreement with the city. Part of that agreement is to provide fare inspectors, but since Metro will get money no matter what, I don't imagine they're quite as gung ho on it as if it were their own and not the city's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area