Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is one of the things I liked about living in the Seattle area. Summers were moderate. None of the major misery I have now. I never knew what it was like to get bitten by mosquitoes until I visited my cousins in Louisiana.
Wow. I am surprised you would complain about the warm weather days Atlanta had since February or March and call that "miserable." and a major misery. I find the warm temperatures that Atlanta had to be magical and awesome. (Even though I don't find Atlanta itself as a city to be magical or awesome at least it has pretty great weather.)

I like the 80s and low 90s as much as the 70s, 60s, and 50s. However, when it is summer (June-September) and even for May and October I do not want it to ever go below the 60s and would like lots of 80s.

While Seattle summers are pretty enjoyable, it still seems a bit too cold to me for "summer." and too short. Seattle summers are more like spring weather.

Last edited by *******; 04-27-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The only thing I would complain about 2010 is simply that it was *COLD* and of course it didn't really help our summer just wasn't there. But it seemed brighter than usual.

Weather will always be a contentious issue here. Either people like it/don't mind it... or they ***really*** hate it. But we won't lose population because there'll always be new people coming in.
Actually, the year 2010 was much more cloudy, colder, and overcast than usual for Seattle/PCNW it seems like, especially compared to 2009.

April, May, June, July, August, and September were much sunnier/drier/and warmer for the year 2009 than in 2010 there. December in 2009 was colder than for December 2010 but it was much sunnier and drier. For 2010, October 2010 was the only exception and that was warmer/sunnier/drier than October 2009 but overall the year 2009 had 6 much sunnier, drier, and warmer months than 2010 which makes a huge difference. It almost makes it seem like a completely different climate with the noticeable differences it had between 2010 and 2009. For example May and September had about 22 out of 30 cloudy days each month with temperatures barely ever going above the 50s and 60s for the year 2010 but in 2009 they literally had only about 6 cloudy days out of 30 each and so many more days getting into the 70s and 80s.

I viewed Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively for the year 2009 but I view it much more negatively for the year 2010 and how it is so far in 2011. I am pretty sure this could be true for many people that lived there during that time period too(Jessejb and maybe Lordbalfor on this city-data forum would probably agree with me).

You are right that weather will always be a contentious issue there. I guess it is best for people that live there to have peace of mind that weather/climate will always be a contentious issue there and just enjoy the pros of that place as much as they can. I think there are more different reactions/opinions people have about Seattle/PCNW weather/climate that just "liking it", "not minding it", or " hating it" but those are great three different general categories. I actually can feel all of those three different categories myself depending on the day and time of year.

Last edited by *******; 04-27-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Wow. I am surprised you would complain about the warm weather days Atlanta had since February or March and call that "miserable." and a major misery. I find the warm temperatures that Atlanta had to be magical and awesome. (Even though I don't find Atlanta itself as a city to be magical or awesome at least it has pretty great weather.)

I like the 80s and low 90s as much as the 70s, 60s, and 50s. However, when it is summer (June-September) and even for May and October I do not want it to ever go below the 60s and would like lots of 80s.

While Seattle summers are pretty enjoyable, it still seems a bit too cold to me for "summer." and too short. Seattle summers are more like spring weather.
I don't like it when it gets into the 80's and 90's in Atlanta. Atlanta is extremely humid when it gets hot, so that is the misery I am talking about. Summers in Atlanta are, in my opinion, exhausting and drain the energy out of me.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post

I viewed Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively for the year 2009 but I view it much more negatively for the year 2010 and how it is so far in 2011. I am pretty sure this could be true for many people that lived there during that time period too(Jessejb and maybe Lordbalfor on this city-data forum would probably agree with me).
Yup.
The summer of 2009 was FABULOUS.
Summer 2010 SUCKED (and that's being polite about it).

Ken

Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,240,125 times
Well, I thought for the most part July 2010 was nice in Seattle. Besides the 3-4 days of temperatures reaching upper 80s and even 90 in some areas between July 7-10, I thought the rest of the month was awesome. Even on those warm days it still dropped to lower 60s in the evening and mornings.

Again, I live in Miami so for me 60 degrees in the summer is awesome. Ideally, I like highs to be no more than 75. Even 80 is ok, but once you get to 85 or above, I don't like. It's 89 degrees right now where I live.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Well, I thought for the most part July 2010 was nice in Seattle. Besides the 3-4 days of temperatures reaching upper 80s and even 90 in some areas between July 7-10, I thought the rest of the month was awesome. Even on those warm days it still dropped to lower 60s in the evening and mornings.

Again, I live in Miami so for me 60 degrees in the summer is awesome. Ideally, I like highs to be no more than 75. Even 80 is ok, but once you get to 85 or above, I don't like. It's 89 degrees right now where I live.
Then you will fit right in in Seattle. The average summer highs barely edge above 75 even during the typically hottest months.

Me? I like the 80's.

Ken

Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't like it when it gets into the 80's and 90's in Atlanta. Atlanta is extremely humid when it gets hot, so that is the misery I am talking about. Summers in Atlanta are, in my opinion, exhausting and drain the energy out of me.
I find the temperatures in the 80s and 90s(up to the mid 90s) even if it is very humid to be enjoyable. However, upper 90s or anything in the 100s and higher does feel too hot for me.

Would you really rather deal with cold temperatures below 48 degrees farenheight? I find that far more difficult to deal with(especially below 40 degrees, 32 degrees, or 25 degrees) to be far more difficult and miserable to deal with.

Ironically, I used to be similar as you with that and thought I didn't like warm/hot weather and thought I was a cold weather and winter lover. But for me, my preferences with that has completely changed in the past 2 years.
So who knows, maybe your weather comfort zone and preferences will completely change too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post

Oh my goodness, another person that lives in the Deep South that for some reason does not like nice warm temperatures and long summers.

Even July and August 2010 didn't seem as nice in Seattle as July and August did in Seattle for most other years.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,031,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
The summer of 2009 was FABULOUS.
Summer 2010 SUCKED (and that's being polite about it).

Ken
In my opinion the summer of 2010 was nice, it was the summer of 2009 that "sucked"!

I'd be perfectly happy if the temperature never climbed above 75-77...but I've certainly known enough hot weather fans in my life to understand that for some people quite hot enough.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 PM

287 posts, read 736,216 times
Oh man don't get me started on summer 2009... It was HOT AS HELL. It reached 109 degrees at the time (20 miles south of Portland, Oregon). It wasn't funny. 100s for five days and 90s for two weeks straight. I seriously remember it was sunny for 40 days straight. I hated that.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM

478 posts, read 780,772 times
Portland was almost Phoenix. So was Corvallis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area