U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
 
5,420 posts, read 5,921,869 times
Reputation: 4295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I already experienced a proper Seattle summer last year in 2010! So I am completely familiar with Seattle summers.
Except the summer of 2010 wasn't a proper Seattle summer. Everyone (well, just about) was complaining about it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 4,650,252 times
Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Except the summer of 2010 wasn't a proper Seattle summer. Everyone (well, just about) was complaining about it.
Oh, I thought you just meant experiencing a Seattle summer in general.

Yeah, Seattle's summer for 2010 was more cloudy and slightly cooler than its average, especially for September. I wish I experienced a Seattle summer that was like the year 2009 when living there.

How did you feel about the other things I said in my post to you right before this one?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Status: "Smiling in wonderful SE Arizona" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
15,739 posts, read 13,381,143 times
Reputation: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Oh, I thought you just meant experiencing a Seattle summer in general.

Yeah, Seattle's summer for 2010 was more cloudy and slightly cooler than its average, especially for September. I wish I experienced a Seattle summer that was like the year 2009 when living there.

How did you feel about the other things I said in my post to you right before this one?
Yeah, I consider last year to be a year pretty much WITHOUT a summer. SO FAR this year is looking like it may turn out the same.

Hopefully that WILL change.

Ken
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 4,650,252 times
Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I consider last year to be a year pretty much WITHOUT a summer. SO FAR this year is looking like it may turn out the same.

Hopefully that WILL change.

Ken
Well Seattle still technically had a summer last year but it was very short(20 to 30 days) and it was scattered throughout a few days here and there in July, August, and September. Probably like 10 days in July, 10 days in August, and 5 days in September. So I would say Seattle had a summer last year but barely and almost non existent.

Actually, I think the rest of this year and the next few years will be better for Seattle/PCNW for weather but that is mostly wishful thinking.

The 10 day forecast right now shows Seattle might be sunny 7 days in a row and warmer starting in three days!

But the weather forecasts can be very unreliable for Seattle. I know so many times when it says it will be sunny and then it ends up being cloudy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
478 posts, read 242,365 times
Reputation: 379
When I first started posting in this thread I was basing what I said on past visits to Seattle, and noticing its similarity, climate-wise, to Oregon's Willamette Valley. I'm now seeing it can be cooler and wetter here.

I wish this were one of the more average years here in the Seattle area, since I'm living here now. But it isn't.

I'm headed back to Oregon tomorrow, and it's not because of the climate here in Lynnwood, but climate is one reason I'm happy to be moving. It won't be a lot different in Corvallis, but enough to make me a little happier.

I've lived in New Jersey and I love being able to swim in late summer's warm ocean, with big sandy beaches ... but that's not enough to make me want to move back there.
By the way, the ocean is warmer there for more than one reason. The main reason is the Gulf Stream.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
478 posts, read 242,365 times
Reputation: 379
I've got the U-Haul all packed up and there are some things I will miss about the Seattle area, no mistaking that. Oregon has nothing comparable to Puget Sound, and you have to go to Portland to get close to the variety of restaurants, museums, big stores and things like that. Washington has bigger mountains. But I've lived in Oregon 29 years and it's more home to me. I really love it there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
 
5,420 posts, read 5,921,869 times
Reputation: 4295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Well Seattle still technically had a summer last year but it was very short(20 to 30 days) and it was scattered throughout a few days here and there in July, August, and September. Probably like 10 days in July, 10 days in August, and 5 days in September. So I would say Seattle had a summer last year but barely and almost non existent.

Actually, I think the rest of this year and the next few years will be better for Seattle/PCNW for weather but that is mostly wishful thinking.
Well, of course Seattle "technically" had a summer. But it wasn't representative of what a true glorious summer experience it is to experience in Seattle. Last year just... sucked major donkey It was just hard on everyone (that I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

That is true someone could go into the water there with wet suit but does it really make the water feel warmer to someone?
Plus, most people would prefer to go into the water without having to a wear a wet suit.
... that's the thing though... I don't know who you classify as "most people" because the folks I know are fine with that. In fact, I saw some going scuba diving in February... and it was pretty chilly then (both the air and water). For the record, wetsuits are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Also during heat waves in Washington state it can feel warm enough to even go into the water of the puget sound and WA pacific coast without a wet suit!
See... that's how I know you haven't had a proper Seattle summer experience. I like heat; in fact, I have no problem when it was around 115 degrees in Las Vegas-- it's just awesome (even during the night when it's still like 93 degrees). But when we have heat waves here... it sucks... hardly any wind (and of course, not everyone has A/C). Of course everyone's going to the waterholes. Best way to cool down and the water is just right.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 4,650,252 times
Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well, of course Seattle "technically" had a summer. But it wasn't representative of what a true glorious summer experience it is to experience in Seattle. Last year just... sucked major donkey It was just hard on everyone (that I know).
I am glad to hear most Seattle summers are better than what it had last year.

I hope this summer for Seattle is better than 2010.

I assume you lived in Seattle metro a long time. Was 2010 the worst weather for Seattle and as bad as it gets?

Quote:
... that's the thing though... I don't know who you classify as "most people" because the folks I know are fine with that. In fact, I saw some going scuba diving in February... and it was pretty chilly then (both the air and water). For the record, wetsuits are great.
Oh. That is interesting someone wearing a wet suit can make the water feel much warmer than it is.

I would not mind to try that on the WA pacific coast, Oregon pacific coast, Puget sound etc. I just don't see how it would be as comfortable as not having to wear a wet suit in warm water. Also isn't a wet suit expensive?


Quote:
See... that's how I know you haven't had a proper Seattle summer experience. I like heat; in fact, I have no problem when it was around 115 degrees in Las Vegas-- it's just awesome (even during the night when it's still like 93 degrees). But when we have heat waves here... it sucks... hardly any wind (and of course, not everyone has A/C). Of course everyone's going to the waterholes. Best way to cool down and the water is just right.
I also like heat but in the 70s, 80s, and 90s up to the upper 90s.

NYC, was 90 degrees today with some wind and I liked it. I did not understand people that were complaining.

It starts feeling too hot for me most of the time when it is in the upper 90s, 100s, 110s etc.

Did you say before you lived in Las Vegas for a while?

I think the thing with Seattle heat waves is it can be a shock to the system for someone after a long extended time period where the weather is much cooler right before the heat waves happen. It seems like the heat waves just happen all of a sudden without a gradual steady increase in temperatures over there.

Also the heat waves in Seattle does seem to not have wind and also no air conditioning.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Status: "Smiling in wonderful SE Arizona" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
15,739 posts, read 13,381,143 times
Reputation: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I am glad to hear most Seattle summers are better than what it had last year.

I hope this summer for Seattle is better than 2010.

I assume you lived in Seattle metro a long time. Was 2010 the worst weather for Seattle and as bad as it gets?



Oh. That is interesting someone wearing a wet suit can make the water feel much warmer than it is.

I would not mind to try that on the WA pacific coast, Oregon pacific coast, Puget sound etc. I just don't see how it would be as comfortable as not having to wear a wet suit in warm water. Also isn't a wet suit expensive?




I also like heat but in the 70s, 80s, and 90s up to the upper 90s.

NYC, was 90 degrees today with some wind and I liked it. I did not understand people that were complaining.

It starts feeling too hot for me most of the time when it is in the upper 90s, 100s, 110s etc.

Did you say before you lived in Las Vegas for a while?

I think the thing with Seattle heat waves is it can be a shock to the system for someone after a long extended time period where the weather is much cooler right before the heat waves happen. It seems like the heat waves just happen all of a sudden without a gradual steady increase in temperatures over there.

Also the heat waves in Seattle does seem to not have wind and also no air conditioning.
To someone familiar with East Coast heat, the occassional heat waves in Seattle are NOTHING. I've lived here nearly 40 years and the number of truly hot & humid days (East Coast still) I've experienced here could probably be counted on ONE HAND (two at the ABSOLUTE most). Heat and high humidity just don't happen here together. Air conditioning in Seattle is pretty much a waste of money.

Ken
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
 
26,018 posts, read 21,073,705 times
Reputation: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Cold water isn't much of a concern for me, unless I'm accidentally falling in it. I'm not really interested in swimming and I'm definitely not interested in lying out in the sun. If anything I'm usually trying to hide from the sun!
Not my concern either. Actually, I walked home from school this afternoon and took a cold shower. One way of beating the heat.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top