Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,299 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Seattle for 3 years. Prior to that I lived in many other cities, including Chicago and Cleveland, two cities that are supposed to have bad weather.

Seattle weather is the worst I have ever seen in my life. Others have posted the empirical evidence, so I won't repeat it.

Here's the reality of what the lifestyle is due to the weather. It is overcast most of the time. Yes, even in the summer. (today is July 14 and it is 63 degrees and raining. Yesterday wasn't much better. And tomorrow won't be either.) Which is fine for a week or two, but after weeks on end, year after year, it really gets to you. I used to be a very active person: Six days a week at the gym, happy, outgoing, and tan. Now I can barely get out of bed in the morning, I have gained more than 20 pounds, and I don't enjoy socializing or exercising anymore. I just want to come home and sleep. The lack of sunshine is the cause. The outdoors are no fun when you're slipping on mud all the time. It's too cold to do any "summer" activities like swimming, running, or biking.

Yes, there are a few nice days every year. Brilliant days. Days that make you forget what an awful place this is most of the time. But the fact that most people can clearly remember them (ie "remember that really sunny day when we ate lunch outside?") proves that they are painfully rare. And if you are a working person with a 9-5 job, chances are you will miss many of these days anyway due to being at work. And then there is the anxiety that comes with not "missing" a nice day... you feel like you have to drop everything and go outside just because the sun came out.

Not at all good for anyone's mental or physical health. I really believe the weather has influenced the culture: the passive-agressive, anti-social, "don't talk to me" Seattle freeze is a direct result of the inhospitable weather. It puts *everyone* in a bad mood, whether they admit it or not.

I would not recommend moving to Seattle unless you really absolutely need to (desperately needing a job comes to mind) and unless you have a very clear exit strategy.

I am actively planning my exit as we speak, and unfortunately due to job necessities will have to be here for another 18 months, but do trust I am counting the hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
JAQ

74 posts, read 232,589 times
^^Well said.

Today we had a outdoor summer social function at work. The weather totally ruined it..

I can't wait to move back to California, high prices or not, it's well worth it.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,543,192 times
PersonA
You put into words how I feel exactly. All I can say is vitamin D helps a lot. 1000 iu in the summer 2000 iu in the winter. I tried a sun lamp but it didn't do anything for me except give me a headache. It works much better for others. If you end up seeing a doctor the're ready to write a prescription for Prozac 10 seconds into describing you situation. Its very common here. I turned them down and glad I did. We also try to find something to do east of the Cascades about once a month. Its usually sunny over there even in the winter.
Best of luck getting out of here.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM

62 posts, read 144,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
I love transplants to the Pacific Northwest. It's fun to tease them at how depressed they are and how hateful they are toward to our perfect weather. I born and raised my WHOLE life here in Northwest. I went to Hawaii, California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and the east coast. Tell you what, these places are overrated.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post

Makes you wonder why 70% of the natives took off and never looked back.
His argument was that the natives didn't know any better-- so don't listen to them about the weather (since they have no frame of reference). Your comment make it sound like they did. So which is it?

Like with anywhere else, it takes a certain person to enjoy this type of climate/weather. I just don't get the hostility of either side.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAQ View Post
^^Well said.

Today we had a outdoor summer social function at work. The weather totally ruined it..

I can't wait to move back to California, high prices or not, it's well worth it.
Yup, I understand completely.
It's looking like summer this year is going to be pretty much non-existent (for the 2nd year in a row).

Pretty darned tough to take.

Ken

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM

Our friend who lived here her entire life called this a "board game summer".

Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,708 times
I was born and raised in Seattle, and have lived in the area my entire life. 26 years here now, and I'm more than ready to head to the other side of the state!

Colder winters, hotter summers, basically a guarantee of all four seasons. A much drier climate too! Way more sunshine per year on average than this side of the state. Soon.... soon..... Mainly looking at the Wenatchee / East Wenatachee area. (Or Chelan if I could get a decent paying job there!).

Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,055,588 times
Everyone here knows summes here are usually much much much better and sunnier than what it is this year. This is brutal. Even places like San Francisco and LA are having colder than usual weather. How are you going to like 56 degrees in San Francisco in the middle of July?

http://weather.yahoo.com/united-stat...cisco-2487956/

Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Everyone here knows summes here are usually much much much better and sunnier than what it is this year. This is brutal. Even places like San Francisco and LA are having colder than usual weather. How are you going to like 56 degrees in San Francisco in the middle of July?

San Francisco - California Weather Forecasts | Maps | News - Yahoo! Weather
Thas pretty normal for SF in the summer. Drive 10 miles in any direction from the city and you will find much warmer and sunnier weather in the summer. The Bay Area has micro climates in a way that Seattle area never experiences. For example in San Rafael just 12 miles to the north it was 73 and sunny all day while SF didn't see the sun. Walnut creek 20 miles to the east was 77f. Not really a fair comparison to seattle imho.

Quote:
The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco.

Mark Twain

Last edited by evergraystate; 07-15-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area