Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM

236 posts, read 472,166 times

Advertisements

Yeah I bet the poll was presented in a "it could be worse manner" the method so commonly used here. It probably was 60s here or 100s elsewhere? I wonder what the poll results for other places with warmer summers would be if it was a 57° and rain in July or 80-90s in there respective places. That would be interesting bit predictable to take the extreme of one and compare it to the average of another. Most of my family friends are complaining about the heat but when I tell the how it is here thus far the WHOLE year they immediately say they would prefer what they experiencing.

With that said I will pleasantly run 6 miles tonight. When sunny even overcast dry and cool it does make good physical activities weather. If the summer was like today right now (70s and sunny all day all summer) I would agree that it is better than the oven heatwaves. 70-90 and sunshine = all around good weather that could facilitate watersports. I hear scuba around here is awesome...in the winter though.

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 07-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Yeah I bet the poll was presented in a "it could be worse manner" the method so commonly used here. It probably was 60s here or 100s elsewhere? I wonder what the poll results for other places with warmer summers would be if it was a 57° and rain in July or 80-90s in there respective places. That would be interesting bit predictable to take the extreme of one and compare it to the average of another. Most of my family friends are complaining about the heat but when I tell the how it is here thus far the WHOLE year they immediately say they would prefer what they experiencing.

With that said I will pleasantly run 6 miles tonight. When sunny even overcast dry and cool it does make good physical activities weather. If the summer was like today right now (70s and sunny all day all summer) I would agree that it is better than the oven heatwaves. 70-90 and sunshine = all around good weather that could facilitate watersports. I hear scuba around here is awesome...in the winter though.
It wasn't actually a poll. It was a simple tabulation of e-mail responses to the original article about just how cool this summer has been.

Ken

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
As this summer drags on, King 5 weatherman tonight showed 72% of all days this year have had below average high temperatures. Not to my liking, but I can still remember growing up in the midwest with the god awful heat waves they had(and are having right now) and I'll still take this.
It's a lousy year, but it isn't really accurate to judge the overall weather by this year.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That number is WAYYYYYY off.
All the article really is able to conclude is that nearly half of the people who were MOTIVATED TO RESPOND like the weather we're having.
That's not nearly the same thing AT ALL.

Ken
Hey, all I did was post a LINK...and did not comment on the contents.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Hey, all I did was post a LINK...and did not comment on the contents.
I know. And I just responded to the bogus conclusion of the article in the link.

Ken

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
As this summer drags on, King 5 weatherman tonight showed 72% of all days this year have had below average high temperatures. Not to my liking, but I can still remember growing up in the midwest with the god awful heat waves they had(and are having right now) and I'll still take this.
It's a lousy year, but it isn't really accurate to judge the overall weather by this year.
I suppose if it was a statistically significant number. The weather, for July, that is, is within 1° of normal, that is the average temp is 63.7 when its normally 64.7 and the average high is 73.6 when its usually 74.6. Thats why percentages can be deceptive they are often used to make a point without disclosing the magnitude of the numbers.
I would agree not to judge the weather but being realistic after August the weather gets wetter cloudier and cooler. It appears that this summer is going to statistically worse than last summer.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

People think I'm crazy, but I tell them I would take Seattle's cooler weather and constant rain any day over the heat and humidity we have on the east coast.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
People think I'm crazy, but I tell them I would take Seattle's cooler weather and constant rain any day over the heat and humidity we have on the east coast.
You would until you realized from Oct thru June the temps drops 10-20 and rains or is solid overcast 6 of every 7 days. I look forward to hitting the Caribbean soon but I think too myself could I live in a place thats constant summer 75-100 year round and not grow tired of it? After careful consideration I am sure I could for several years. So perhaps someone could go from cold blistering winters and hot summers to this. Then again some prosper very well here because others cant endure the weather or are detracted from it....weird how life works...Im way of subject and just bumbling on....if you cant tell I am bored.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
the average temp is 63.7 when its normally 64.7 and the average high is 73.6 when its usually 74.6. Thats why percentages can be deceptive they are often used to make a point without disclosing the magnitude of the numbers.
this July is much CLOUDIER and WETTER than the average July. The temps are fine but it's been way cloudier than usual. July is usually sunny and dry most of the time (6 cloudy out of 31 days). This year it's cloudy and wet most of the time. That makes a huge difference

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
this July is much CLOUDIER and WETTER than the average July. The temps are fine but it's been way cloudier than usual. July is usually sunny and dry most of the time (6 cloudy out of 31 days). This year it's cloudy and wet most of the time. That makes a huge difference
July usually feel sunnier compared to what we experience majority of the year and I wish July had 25 sunny or mostly sunny days but it doesnt. Take July 2009 the best and warmest I remember. 13 days were sunny/clear. 12 days were partly cloudy and 6 days were overcast. Man I would take that hands down but reality is no month in Seattle has more clear or mostly clear days than cloudy days. Yesterday was considered partly cloudy although it cleared up in the afternoon and evening. It still was very pleasant but the Seattle has 308 cloudy days a year. Some days sunbreaks some days solid overcast then clear up like yesterday and today some days mostly sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area