Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Around the summer solstice it doesn't get completely dark until just after 10pm.

However in the winter, it is completely dark well before 6pm.
I visited the area in November and was surprised to find the sun rising considerably later than it does here. I always thought it would be a noticeable but fairly minor difference, but it was 8am and still fairly dark outside! Here the sunrise in the winter appears to be at least an hour earlier. But it seemed like the sun set only a little earlier than here (4:45-5ish).

Sunset in the summer here is usually 8:30 or so at the very latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,487 times
The link has a neat chart on the subject:

Seattle, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Although it always seems lighter just a little later than the times the graph shows in the evening. (I'm either not awake, or not awake enough, to notice on the AM part. lol).

Just checked my garden thermometer again ten minutes ago (@ 4:30pm). 72 degrees in the shade. Still not a cloud in sight.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Beautiful day today! Not a cloud in the sky. Currently 62 degrees in the shade (@ 12:30pm) according to my garden thermometer. Hopefully summer sticks around this time! Maybe we'll luck out and have this til October!
where do you live? Because it's been 73 in the last couple of hours. It feels warmer though, I would say even hot! The sun is very strong

Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
The link has a neat chart on the subject:

Seattle, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Although it always seems lighter just a little later than the times the graph shows in the evening. (I'm either not awake, or not awake enough, to notice on the AM part. lol).

Just checked my garden thermometer again ten minutes ago (@ 4:30pm). 72 degrees in the shade. Still not a cloud in sight.
Thanks for the link; that's pretty interesting. Daylight hours there appear to vary more than here throughout the year. Considerably longer days in the summer, and considerably shorter days in the winter. And it appears the sun does set at fairly similar times in the winter, but sun does indeed rise almost an hour later there.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Thanks for the link; that's pretty interesting. Daylight hours there appear to vary more than here throughout the year. Considerably longer days in the summer, and considerably shorter days in the winter. And it appears the sun does set at fairly similar times in the winter, but sun does indeed rise almost an hour later there.
That far northern latitude is what does it. Seattle is farther north than any other metro area.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Yeah, I assumed there would be a difference, but when I was there I was surprised at how large the difference was!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, I assumed there would be a difference, but when I was there I was surprised at how large the difference was!
In TN you're probably about the same latitude as the Bay Area so I think I understand your shock. When I went that July, the sky was still blue at 9:30 although the sun had set if I remember correctly. Even then, it wasn't dark till just after 10pm. That's another thing, dusk last forever. In San Diego, dusk last maybe 20 minutes, in the Bay Area perhaps 30. In Seattle it seems to last almost an hour in summer. That's awesome because it's my favorite time of day.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That far northern latitude is what does it. Seattle is farther north than any other metro area.
Of the lower 48, anyway. There are a few weeks in Anchorage around the summer solstice in which it never gets darker than civil twilight. In Fairbanks they experience the same thing, only it lasts for several more days than it does in Anchorage.

In Barrow (not a metro area, but the northernmost settlement in the United States), they have several days around the winter solstice where the sun doesn't rise at all (but they DO get some civil twilight even on the solstice itself), and there are several days around the summer solstice in which the sun never sets.

Compare the following locations (in order from north to south):

Barrow, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Fairbanks, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Anchorage, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Juneau, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Bellingham, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Portland, Oregon - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Sacramento, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

San Francisco, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Los Angeles, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

San Diego, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Honolulu, Hawaii - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Of the lower 48, anyway. There are a few weeks in Anchorage around the summer solstice in which it never gets darker than civil twilight. In Fairbanks they experience the same thing, only it lasts for several more days than it does in Anchorage.

In Barrow (not a metro area, but the northernmost settlement in the United States), they have several days around the winter solstice where the sun doesn't rise at all (but they DO get some civil twilight even on the solstice itself), and there are several days around the summer solstice in which the sun never sets.

Compare the following locations (in order from north to south):

Barrow, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Fairbanks, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Anchorage, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Juneau, Alaska - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Bellingham, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Portland, Oregon - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Sacramento, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

San Francisco, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Los Angeles, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

San Diego, California - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Honolulu, Hawaii - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma
Thanks for the cool links. Yeah I meant the lower 48. Always forget about Alaska for some reason.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thanks for the cool links. Yeah I meant the lower 48. Always forget about Alaska for some reason.
No problem! For good measure, take a look at this chart from the Southern Hemisphere. Note the inversion as compared to the Northern Hemisphere.

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

(Of course because winter in the north is summer the south, and vice versa. Thank the tilt of Earth on its axis for that).

Edit to add: Here is a location very close to the equator. (Just about 20 miles south of it, actually):

Quito, Ecuador - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Last edited by cjg5; 07-29-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area