Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 04:30 PM

288 posts, read 715,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I expect gloom for only a few months. I expect bad gloom for 3 months, tolerable gloom for another 3 months, not too bad for 3 months, and pretty decent for 3 months.

The people I know who lived there and tell it straight describe the place like this. Weather isn't good, but definitely not as bad as its reputation.
I see "bad" as a matter of perspective. The time frames you mention are the same here in central Texas but replace "gloom" with HOT. I think I would prefer the Seattle gloom. I need to visit in the gloom period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,537,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
I see "bad" as a matter of perspective. The time frames you mention are the same here in central Texas but replace "gloom" with HOT. I think I would prefer the Seattle gloom. I need to visit in the gloom period.
Ah yes, indeed. I spent 6 years at FT. Hood. I despised the weather there. Freaking hot and humid for 5-6 months, and it still has the nerve to sometimes get down below freezing....even snow on occasion in the winter. Normally you are rewarded for hot and humid summers with pleasant winters (FL). Not so in TX.

So yes, perspective is everything.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
Strange how nice the weather has been all along the West Coast, while the rest of the country is getting smitten by the wrath of Nature.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,055,588 times
Why is it strange. The west coast always has quieter weather without storms

Old 09-05-2011, 01:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
No, on average it does but not as a rule (by West Coast I mean those states, not just the narrow coastal strips.) There have been plenty of blizzards, floods, landslides from weather, high wind events sometimes equaling hurricane intensity, enormous wildfires resulting from Santa Ana winds, etc.

I think even Seattle has been having unusually nice weather while all that stuff was happening back East, hasn't it? Jeeez, look at what happened to Vermont.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
Not to mention, but Seattle is also one of the few spots in the world that *benefits* from El Niño. Sometimes we forget how good we have it.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM

240 posts, read 532,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Months from now you will see people still talking about the late arrival of summer, without ever mentioning how it was still quite pleasant in September.
I completely agree with this statement. I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
No, on average it does but not as a rule (by West Coast I mean those states, not just the narrow coastal strips.) There have been plenty of blizzards, floods, landslides from weather, high wind events sometimes equaling hurricane intensity, enormous wildfires resulting from Santa Ana winds, etc.

I think even Seattle has been having unusually nice weather while all that stuff was happening back East, hasn't it? Jeeez, look at what happened to Vermont.
Well the nice stretch just ended this far south. It is stiflingly muggy and sticky. I would kill to be in Seattle right now.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,031,537 times
komonews.com: Rare extended September hot stretch poised to break several records

"High temperatures are forecast to increase as the week progresses, with highs in the low 80s on Tuesday, then mid-upper 80s on Wednesday, followed by a three-to-four day streak of highs in the upper 80s or low 90s as the thermal trough reaches its peak and the air mass warms further. Right now, we have expected highs in Seattle proper just under 90 Thursday through Saturday and possibly even into Sunday, and the foothills and southwestern Washington should easily cross into the 90s"

The article goes into some detail about how rare it is to be this hot for this time of year.

Along with the heat we will be having desert like dryness which elevates the fire danger...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
I'm liking it. The problem with gardening certain things in the Seattle area is that they need extended days of warm, sunny weather. So tomatoes sometimes don't get a chance to turn red because it didn't get warm and sunny until July, and then cools off and gets rainy in September.
I have a lot of green tomatoes, but with a little more warmth and sunshine, they'll turn red.
Plus I'm having my most successful season ever growing melons. I can't explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area