Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM

78 posts, read 410,008 times

Advertisements

So many good comments - particularly about being cold. When it gets cold in Florida, it is still very humid and I have felt pretty chilled but that is because of the huge difference from warm to cold. Probably the same for the people from Hawaii. So it makes sense that if you live in a cool climate to begin with and not much change in temps, the chilled feeling would not be as noticeable. As long as the sun makes an appearance every once in a while, then I think I could handle it. And you are right about people who say they love rain/gloom/clouds... really???? As they say "that's just not right!" Why would anyone say they don't like sun? Very strange indeed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
True.

And still, these hypocrites claim how much they like rain and everlasting greyness. Who are they kidding? Themselves?

I mean, rain and gloominess in themselves are not bad, but everything is bad if there is too much of it.
Maybe the ones claiming to like rain and cloudiness aren't the ones scrambling to every park when it's sunny. Or maybe they appreciate both kinds of weather.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
So many good comments - particularly about being cold. When it gets cold in Florida, it is still very humid and I have felt pretty chilled but that is because of the huge difference from warm to cold. Probably the same for the people from Hawaii. So it makes sense that if you live in a cool climate to begin with and not much change in temps, the chilled feeling would not be as noticeable. As long as the sun makes an appearance every once in a while, then I think I could handle it. And you are right about people who say they love rain/gloom/clouds... really???? As they say "that's just not right!" Why would anyone say they don't like sun? Very strange indeed....
What's so strange about not liking sun? While I appreciate sunny weather occasionally, I get tired of it quickly. It can be 65 degrees outside and if it's sunny I'll be too warm. I hate sweating so being too warm is something I try to avoid. Not to mention it burns my skin and hurts my eyes. To me it's strange that people would voluntarily lay out in direct sunlight in 90+ degree heat. That's just about the most miserable thing I can imagine.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
What's so strange about not liking sun? While I appreciate sunny weather occasionally, I get tired of it quickly. It can be 65 degrees outside and if it's sunny I'll be too warm. I hate sweating so being too warm is something I try to avoid.
There are humid days in the PNW (and everywhere else, of course) when it's 65 and overcast when you sweat. On the other hand, there are days over 65 and sunny with low humidity when you don't sweat. Its' not the sun itself that makes you sweat, it's the level of humidity. Of course, high humidity with higher temps makes you sweat more.

However, if you insist that you start sweating just by seeing the sun coming out, maybe it's time to see a doctor?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Why do some people think that someone can like only sunny weather or only cloudy/rainy weather?

There are plenty of people that can enjoy both types of weather: sunny weather and cloudy/rainy weather. I am one of those people.
But for me it depends on how long it lasts and the time of the year.

In Seattle, there were definitely plenty of days that actually felt like a nice refreshing kind of cloudy, but then some days that felt like a bad oppressive type of cloudy.

However when it was sunny in Seattle it always felt good, mostly because it can be somewhat rare for it to be sunny over there.

If I gave Seattle/PCNW weather a grade, it would be a C+. I don’t view Seattle/PCNW weather to be that bad but then again it is not my ideal weather on an average year basis.

I still like Seattle/Pacific Northwest and enjoying my time living there, even if I do not give the weather there an A+.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
There are humid days in the PNW (and everywhere else, of course) when it's 65 and overcast when you sweat. On the other hand, there are days over 65 and sunny with low humidity when you don't sweat. Its' not the sun itself that makes you sweat, it's the level of humidity. Of course, high humidity with higher temps makes you sweat more.

However, if you insist that you start sweating just by seeing the sun coming out, maybe it's time to see a doctor?
Humidity certainly affects how much I sweat, but if it's sunny and 65 and I'm say, on a long walk or bike ride where there's little shade, I WILL sweat, regardless of what the humidity is. I find direct sunlight to be very, very warm. I've sweated from working outside in direct sunlight with temperatures in the 30s. Of course, here it's not so bad because when it's warm and sunny it's also usually pretty dry, and I can remain comfortable enough as long as there's a breeze or shade, unlike in Tennessee where I would sweat and there would be no relief. But I'd still prefer to not sweat at all. Today it was cloudy, drizzly, and in the mid 50s and I did a lot of walking without sweating. It was great!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 AM

78 posts, read 410,008 times
This is truly fascinating to read all the different comments about sun vs clouds - and "past present and future" said that enjoying both is good too! Actually, I do enjoy both but I lean towards extended sunny periods vs cloudy periods. But too much of anything does get a little tiresome. Lamplight's comments are interesting. Sweating seems to be the issue - to each their own - but sweating is a good thing - it cleans out the pores and is rather refreshing on its own. Feeling the breeze on moist skin is also a pleasant sensation too. But on the other hand, I can relate - the oppressive humidity of Tennessee or any humid climate combined with sun or heat is tough to handle if you do not like it.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM

288 posts, read 717,013 times
I think my ideal weather is what I experienced on Long Island where I grew up (left for college). The northeast has a full change of seasons and I miss it. Winter - snow, Spring - flowers, Summer - warm, not usually too hot, Fall - awesome cooler weather. I don't know about moving back but I should probably consider it since I want to move from Texas due to the extreme heat. I want to be near mountains and large forests however.

What place in the U.S. offers a full change of seasons, yet close to mountains and forests? I like areas that are mostly green and which is why I favor Seattle (or the NW in general).

Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
I think my ideal weather is what I experienced on Long Island where I grew up (left for college). The northeast has a full change of seasons and I miss it. Winter - snow, Spring - flowers, Summer - warm, not usually too hot, Fall - awesome cooler weather. I don't know about moving back but I should probably consider it since I want to move from Texas due to the extreme heat. I want to be near mountains and large forests however.

What place in the U.S. offers a full change of seasons, yet close to mountains and forests? I like areas that are mostly green and which is why I favor Seattle (or the NW in general).
Northwest Arkansas, around Fayetteville, Eureka Springs, near the Ozark Mountains. Green, mountainous, with changes of seasons, and not as brutally hot as other parts of the state. Seattle has a milder climate, and is greener.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
This is truly fascinating to read all the different comments about sun vs clouds - and "past present and future" said that enjoying both is good too! Actually, I do enjoy both but I lean towards extended sunny periods vs cloudy periods. But too much of anything does get a little tiresome. Lamplight's comments are interesting. Sweating seems to be the issue - to each their own - but sweating is a good thing - it cleans out the pores and is rather refreshing on its own. Feeling the breeze on moist skin is also a pleasant sensation too. But on the other hand, I can relate - the oppressive humidity of Tennessee or any humid climate combined with sun or heat is tough to handle if you do not like it.
That's the great thing about living here. While I still prefer minimal sweat, at least here I can cool off just standing in the shade for a bit, even more quickly if a pleasant breeze is blowing (which isn't uncommon at all, especially near the water). But in TN, not only would the temperature and humidity (well, the dew point) be higher, but the sun just felt more harsh, and in summer it seemed like there was very rarely any breeze at all. Standing in the shade would help some, but not nearly enough. Standing in the sun was horrible. I think for me it may also be a mental thing. I spent 32 years in TN and over the last ten or so, I came to hate heat and sun so much because there it's just brutal, and I would spend 6-7 months of the year hibernating because I would be so uncomfortable outside. But here it's MUCH more tolerable and yet when it's sunny I still find myself trying to stay in the shade all the time. I'm still not comfortable on those 75-80 degree days when I'm in direct sunlight and there's no shade nearby, but compared to what I'm used to it's obviously not that bad, since I can actually walk or bike in it without contemplating suicide! And yet I automatically seek out shade any time I'm in the sun, even when it's not terribly warm. Half the time it seems I do it without even thinking. I have to wonder if I live here long enough if eventually I'll change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area