U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM

74 posts, read 236,586 times
Again, true about the lightning but you can usually avoid it because you see the clouds building and can get inside before the storm hits. Colorado is the scariest place for lightning - it can come out of the most innocent clouds - sometimes the cloud is many miles away - no storm building just a fluffy cloud or two and KABLAMM - it hits! Not to mention the hail that comes out of nowhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM

212 posts, read 135,966 times
I will agree that those three months are really pretty great. The other 9 months though? Unbearable! I'm very much a cold weather and overcast person so the constant sun and heat doesn't mesh well with me. The lightning with this storm is pretty awesome. It's lighting up the entire house. Though the back patio is flooded and not a fan of that. Seems that this summer has had a lot more rained out/gray days than past seasons. If it didn't come with 100% humidity I'd be ok with that, lol.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM

3,723 posts, read 2,802,205 times
I stepped outside today and though "holy cow, who turned summer back on?" It was very warm today. Nearly 70 degrees, unseasonably warm!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM

1,082 posts, read 467,823 times
Yeah these last few days have been much nicer than Oct 2010. Lets hope it stays this way. I actually got a some work done outside. Can you believe it?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM

4,962 posts, read 5,768,458 times
I got my glimpse of sun on my morning commute and walk in.

Could have fooled me the rest of the day, was stuck in an office building the rest of the day

Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 AM

6,299 posts, read 5,650,680 times
The amount of lightning on the west coast, especially Oregon and Washington, is much less than the national average.

In California lightning is often dry without any rain, and thus causes major forest fires. Haven't had much of those in recent years though, at least in this area.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM

5,308 posts, read 5,556,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
I also have a question to ask of the "locals" regarding the cloud cover. I know some mentioned that the clouds have movement and depth not just the gray, low layer. Since there are beautiful mountains surrounding the area, are they visible very much since the clouds are at a lower level? I love mountains and could sit and look at them and enjoy the changing views all the time but if the clouds block the view much of the time, then I think I would be disappointed. I would expect that in the winter but do the other seasons offer any respite from the low hanging clouds that block the views of the mountains (Cascades and Olympics)? Since it is cloudy alot, the ability to be able to at least enjoy the views would make up for it. I was thinking of living in the Lacey area so I would think that Rainier would be visible from there? Just wondering....
Here's some of the pictures to get an idea of what to expect (I know we have a picture thread... but these are pictures of clouds):

[IMG]
IMG_1715 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkydory/5510636592/ - broken link) by inkydory (http://www.flickr.com/people/inkydory/ - broken link), on Flickr[/IMG]
This is coming from Bainbridge Island (via ferry)... I'm willing to wager that every one of us locals have pictures like these, LOL.

[IMG]
IMG_1568 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkydory/5510033767/ - broken link) by inkydory (http://www.flickr.com/people/inkydory/ - broken link), on Flickr[/IMG] From Gene Coulon Beach of Renton

[IMG]
IMG_2232 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkydory/6263242068/ - broken link) by inkydory (http://www.flickr.com/people/inkydory/ - broken link), on Flickr[/IMG]
Leaving Puyallup Fair, on 167. Cloudy, but still visible

... Then you get these weird days... This was taken in early MARCH:

IMG_2634 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkydory/6262716355/ - broken link) by inkydory (http://www.flickr.com/people/inkydory/ - broken link), on Flickr
Twas FREEEEZING. I had to give a side-eye to those scuba divers... water was icy-cold.

The other factors you'll have to consider: The trees... and the hills-- they'll definitely block the views. Seattle is one of the hilliest cities in the US (after SF and Pittsburgh-- now they got some steep hills.)

And also... a lot of us have similar stories. The cloud blankets WILL get to everyone of us... but there are times when it's removed and we see things we "forgot" about. And it catches our breath every.single.time. I absolutely love-love-love when I was driving home on i90 bridge when I happen to look to my right... and caught a view of Mt. Rainier in its glory. It gives a chance to be appreciative of what we have.

I also want to point out.... Lacey/Olympia gets around 20" of more rain than Seattle. Would you be prepared for that? (And yes, some areas in Lacey, you could see Mt. Rainier)

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 AM

212 posts, read 135,966 times
Yeah, those are pretty clouds. The cloud cover we've had this week is just flat and milky looking.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 PM

429 posts, read 491,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
I also have a question to ask of the "locals" regarding the cloud cover. I know some mentioned that the clouds have movement and depth not just the gray, low layer. Since there are beautiful mountains surrounding the area, are they visible very much since the clouds are at a lower level? I love mountains and could sit and look at them and enjoy the changing views all the time but if the clouds block the view much of the time, then I think I would be disappointed. I would expect that in the winter but do the other seasons offer any respite from the low hanging clouds that block the views of the mountains (Cascades and Olympics)? Since it is cloudy alot, the ability to be able to at least enjoy the views would make up for it. I was thinking of living in the Lacey area so I would think that Rainier would be visible from there? Just wondering....
It's not uncommon to have a couple of weeks at a stretch where you see little if any sunshine at all in the Seattle area.. even more so south west toward Olympia and Tacoma. However, even in the dead of winter you'll have at least one day on the average of some sun to see the mountains. Ironically, April can be the cloudiest month at least in the SEATAC area. By the time mid June comes around, the jet stream lifts north, high pressure settles in and you can get weeks at a time of sunshine and warmth with the exception of right on Puget Sound, the beaches on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula and the Strait of Juan De Fuca where fog can occasionally roll in. August and September are the sunniest months. The one thing I would really miss are the thunderstorms.. the average is about 3-5 per year in Seattle, maybe 8 to 10 in the Cascades. Some years you won't see a single flash of lightning.. it's that infrequent. Being from Oklahoma, I would miss that (one of the very few things I would miss about Oklahoma ).

One more thing, You have various types of climates within 3 hours of Seattle. Want some sun, try Sequim on the north side of the Olympic Peninsula where they are in the rain shadow thanks to the Olympic mountain range. They actually average almost 300 days a year of at least a half day of sunshine. Port Townsend, just a half hour's drive to the east averages about 275 days. The scenery there is unbelievable!

Old 10-23-2011, 03:14 AM

6,299 posts, read 5,650,680 times
Inkpoe, you ought to give us a pic of Boren Park on 15th across from the cemetery, where I used to love sitting at the lookout on top, and then wandering through the uncultivated steep park area below. Here's one off the internet:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area