Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree that so far the late fall has been drier than normal,
though I never did see the sun today. Currently 32 and fog, so another night and probably morning to be careful of slick roads. Sure was a commute mess this afternoon with the Seahawks game starting so early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
Indeed an interesting weather pattern but definitely not that unusual that we have several days at a stretch of "quiet" weather for this time of year. Exactly how much sunshine you can get out of this pattern is contingent on how much moisture is around, and with all the rain we've had of late and of course, the proximity to the ocean and Puget Sound, despite all this high pressure, and with inversions so frequent with this type of set up and not to mention low sun angle which makes it even more of a chore to burn off the low clouds and fog; the sun may still not shine as much as you wish, but still, this beats days of rain and inclement weather that's so prevalent this time of year.

So how long will this keep up? would you believe possibly for the next two weeks! However there will be a few interruptions and that could come in the form of lowland snows and even a little ice. The middle of next week, a piece of some real arctic air may make a visit and send temperatures some 10 to 20 degrees below average, this may continue through next weekend Dec 10-11 and may be accompanied by a couple of systems coming directly from the Gulf of Alaska, with this interacting with the arctic air mass, some frozen precipitation will be a good bet, even along the sound and possibly at the ocean too like places such as Long Beach, Westport and LaPush. as of this time though, I don't see anything significant as far as intense storms or long duration events.. however, with this type of pattern, places along the northeastern part of the Olympic Peninsula such as Sequim and Port Townsend may be in for locally heavy snow's, possibly several inches, late next week and next weekend around the aforementioned dates.

Model data for weather more than a few days out can still change on a dime, but as of now, I give this about a 60% chance of my forecast verifying. I'll keep an eye on this for all who are interested.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightlightsBigCity View Post
how accurate is this?? I'm coming for a week visit and can't believe the weather forecast says SUNNY the whole time I'm there! Is this unusal for this time of year?

10 Day Weather Forecast for Seattle - weather.com
Ahem..... Could you define the word 'Sunny'. Is that what we have when there's that round shinny ball in the sky? Frankly we haven't seen any of those since September. In fact we haven't seen any sky lately, just fog, cloudy darkness and rain.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Ahem..... Could you define the word 'Sunny'. Is that what we have when there's that round shinny ball in the sky? Frankly we haven't seen any of those since September. In fact we haven't seen any sky lately, just fog, cloudy darkness and rain.
I wouldn't say that, I have had to close the office window blinds several times this week for close to an hour.

Just got this alert:

AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM FRIDAY TO 4 PM PST MONDAY
UNTIL 11:00AM PST

Urgent - Weather Message
National Weather Service Seattle WA
400 PM PST Thu Dec 1 2011

.Strong High Pressure Aloft Will Develop Over The Region On Friday
Night And Persist Through Monday. This Will Trap Cold Dense Air
Near The Surface Under Warmer Air Aloft. The Result Will Be A
Prolonged Period Of Poor Atmospheric Ventilation Which Will Allow
Pollutants Like Wood Smoke And Vehicle And Industrial Emissions To
Degrade Air Quality.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Interesting. That happen often? Here in Houston we get ozone days that are so awful

Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
When I read comments in this forum, I start to get the impression that Seattle must be considerably cloudier than Bellingham. We've had plenty of sunshine up here all through October and November. Sure, there have been plenty of cloudy days too, and some with rain (though not a whole lot), but overall it's been a pretty healthy mix of sunny and cloudy days.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Just spent the last couple of hours outside walking. 37 degrees, dark, cloudy, but no rain. It was very pleasant.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Quote:
Really? Last Friday was absolutely gorgeous in the Seattle area. Since September, really?

From the National Weather Service re: Seattle

November's 2011 weather for Seattle brought below normal temperatures, sunshine, clouds, and rain after a cool, mostly cloudy, and rainy October. There were fifteen days in November with cloudy sky conditions, fourteen days with partly cloudy sky conditions, and one day with sunny sky conditions.

For public forecasts, the National Weather Service uses the following terms to indicate how much of the sky should be covered by clouds::

Cloudy: 90-100%
Mostly cloudy: 70-80%
Partly cloudy or Partly sunny: 30-60%
Mostly clear or Mostly sunny:10-30%
Clear or sunny: 0-10%
Meteorologists like to say that the difference between "partly cloudy" and "partly sunny" is the forecaster's mood.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
OK, when I say some people exaggerate quite a bit, this is what I mean. This isn't even in the same solar system as the truth. I don't need to live there to know this.

OK, I suspect in this case the poster was chuckling himself when he wrote that. Instigation is a form of entertainment for some people.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
The new 10-day forecast. 10 dry days

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area