U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM

1,082 posts, read 674,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Truth is, if you engage in the outdoors, you'll be in heaven. You can run, bike, hike, kayak, ski, climb, etc all freaking year. And you'll get to know the subtle awesomeness of the weather here -and yes, I'm serious.
Please, don't post this kind of misleading BS. Who wants to go outside and do anything for more than 5 minutes when its in the low 40s and drizzling? Get real. 99% of Seattle people are stuck indoors half the year. At least if we got some snow and sunshine you would have something interesting to see and do outdoors.

The fact remains, this is the least sunny place in the country. Your options don't boil down to either you like Seattle or move to Phoenix.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1,732 posts, read 2,208,039 times
I chuckle at the suggestion that Seattle is overcast and gloomy 9 months a year. Certainly the winters are gray, but even during the winter we get stretches of nice weather.

Many of you act as though one never sees the sun other than for 2 months in the summer.

And that's just total BS.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM

8,329 posts, read 14,847,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Please, don't post this kind of misleading BS. Who wants to go outside and do anything for more than 5 minutes when its in the low 40s and drizzling? Get real. 99% of Seattle people are stuck indoors half the year. At least if we got some snow and sunshine you would have something interesting to see and do outdoors.

The fact remains, this is the least sunny place in the country. Your options don't boil down to either you like Seattle or move to Phoenix.
All depends who you believe. This website says that Albany NY, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Syracuse, NY, Buffalo NY , Rochester NY, and Charlestown WV all have fewer sunny days than Seattle. I'm not suggesting that if you love sunny skies everyday that you'll love Seattle, but it may not be the least sunny place even in the continental US:
Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,554,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
All depends who you believe. This website says that Albany NY, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Syracuse, NY, Buffalo NY , Rochester NY, and Charlestown WV all have fewer sunny days than Seattle. I'm not suggesting that if you love sunny skies everyday that you'll love Seattle, but it may not be the least sunny place even in the continental US:
Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities
IRA, I would be willing to wager that the people who see only the gloom in Seattle are no different at work and life in general. Seattle really must attract people who aspire to be a Bear Grylls, but are just Paris Hiltons inside. In addition to the continental US cities you list, there are numerous world cities that make Seattle look tame. I spend my summers in Europe. I travelled to Switzerland (near Geneva) last summer to visit friends of family. Look at the climate of Seattle and compare it to Geneva:

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geneva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geneva makes Seattle look like sunny SoCal, yet the people who live there don't whine about the weather, the lack of sunlight, etc. OK, I'm sure they don't dance in the streets out of glee when it rains, but they continue on with life and live fully. They certainly don't sit inside and pout all day. I had compared these two cities before I travelled there. I'm always trying to give my wife points of comparison (she's from Europe). When I asked people how they like the place or what it's like to live there, not a single Swiss said anything like "all it does is rain", or "the lack of sunlight is brutal", or "we're all so depressed." When I ask the same question on visits to Seattle, I almost always hear "it rains a lot" in the response.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM

598 posts, read 646,733 times
Quote:

Plenty of people do. Just because you don't, doesn't mean others don't. If you truly love the outdoors, it doesn't matter what the weather is like. I grew up in the UK and was outside all the time, cold and drizzly or not. And talking about misleading BS - 99% of Seattle people are stuck indoors half the year?! HA! You seriously need to just get out of Seattle - nearly all your posts are negative. Move already.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM

292 posts, read 371,706 times
Quote:

This is the non-native Seattle whiners someone up in the posts talked about.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,913,277 times
Quote:

Well, there's snow 40 minutes away from me, so that's what I do on weekends. Often sunny up at the Pass as well, even when it's not down here. I don't mind walking in the mizzle and judging by all the folks I see out on my walks/runs, neither do they. I am astounded by the number of cyclists I see riding on East Lake Sammamish Parkway...it really doesn't matter what the weather is. Riding my bike in the rain is where I draw the line though. It's dangerous IMO but mostly because lose my courage a little bit. We will even take our boat out in the mizzle in April and May. Put the camper canvas on...zip it up...and away we go. Head up to Kirkland and grab some Starbucks. It's amazingly peaceful.

The Geneva comment was fascinating to me. I have been there and it's so lovely. But it was overcast and drizzling almost every day. Same thing in Bern. Loved it and the people were very lively. But really, if you hang around Pike Place Market any day, regardless of the weather, it's vibrant and happening.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

192 posts, read 163,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
I chuckle at the suggestion that Seattle is overcast and gloomy 9 months a year. Certainly the winters are gray, but even during the winter we get stretches of nice weather.

Many of you act as though one never sees the sun other than for 2 months in the summer.

And that's just total BS.
Sun was out pretty good in the last few days for me, coupled with some awesome night cloudscapes.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,554,835 times
So I was just looking at the Queen Anne webcams and saw a gorgeous view of Rainier. It must look nice in person.

And then I was thinking of a user here who claims people stay inside 99% of the winter.... Ya right.
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle Weather/Climate Thread-queenanne.png  

Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,208,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Sun was out pretty good in the last few days for me, coupled with some awesome night cloudscapes.
Classic example of my point. I promise you both yesterday and today will go down as "overcast"

That's why those numbers are very misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area