Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Classic example of my point. I promise you both yesterday and today will go down as "overcast"

That's why those numbers are very misleading.

That makes me wonder..The few times I've been in Seattle, the day has started out grey and misty only to turn out beautiful by 1pm..I wonder how they count that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That makes me wonder..The few times I've been in Seattle, the day has started out grey and misty only to turn out beautiful by 1pm..I wonder how they count that?
I guarantee you that is an overcast day. That's just the way it is. We call them "sun breaks" ha ha

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,477 times
Here are some common defintions from the National Weather Service...

it's the partly cloudy/partly sunny that often dings places like Seattle. Same cloud cover % but it depends if you are a pessimist or an optimist!

Cloudy 8/8 opaque clouds
Mostly Cloudy, Considerable Cloudiness 6/8 to 7/8 opaque clouds
Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy (can both be used in daytime) 3/8 to 5/8 opaque clouds
Mostly Sunny (daytime term) Mostly clear (nighttime term) 1/8 to 2/8 opaque clouds
Sunny (daytime) Clear (nighttime) 0/8 opaque clouds

Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Looked like this in Bellingham today:

However, this is the first true sunny day we've had in a while. I haven't been counting, but I think it's the first time this year.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,200 times
So sunny and cold today. I love it. I hope it sticks around for a while.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM

195 posts, read 377,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Classic example of my point. I promise you both yesterday and today will go down as "overcast"

That's why those numbers are very misleading.
Yeah, I admit I have only been 1/2 time in Bellevue recently but I bet its around a 50/50 split of "mostly cloudy/rainy" days and "clear but cold and little to no rain"

We had an amazingly clear night when we went up the space needle, and the other night got some awesome night shots of the clouds with the moon coming through (cloudy but still what I would call a "clear" night)

Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Yeah, I admit I have only been 1/2 time in Bellevue recently but I bet its around a 50/50 split of "mostly cloudy/rainy" days and "clear but cold and little to no rain"

We had an amazingly clear night when we went up the space needle, and the other night got some awesome night shots of the clouds with the moon coming through (cloudy but still what I would call a "clear" night)
Actually, no, it's not a 50/50 split. If anything, its this kind of mentality that tend to have the people scurrying away because it didn't turn out like they thought it be. It really does tend to be cloudy during this time. That is the norm. This is a weird weather pattern we've been having where it's been dry, clear and sunny. Its weird. Records for December been set because it hardly rain.

We used to have one poster who upon moving here to Seattle decided that he was going to "set" us straight. Even though he lived here at the time 2 weeks, he was an "expert" because he did his research. It didn't matter that we pointed out to him that he moved during El Niño year (so therefor, weather would be more dry and sunnier-- and that's what he experienced, he thought we were crazy and exaggerators)... he was convinced we didn't know what we were talking about. I told him in the beginning that if he was going to act like that, that I hardly doubt that he last here 2-3 years. He didn't (for many reasons apparently). Seriously don't be that kind of poster. When you move here you'll understand and it really does get old every now and then. But at the same time, its really dependent on your personality and preference to get through it. You'll see that people here really do take every opportunity to enjoy the sun, it truly is a great time to be here when it's sunny. And it's enough for a lot of people.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

26 posts, read 45,278 times
I was born and raised in the Seattle-Area, and in the 10+ years between High School and when I moved back I lived in two wildly different climates ... Bozeman, MT and Atlanta, GA.

I guess having grown up here I didn't know any different when it came to overcast and rain ... so it never bothered me. And still doesn't.

I think the common perception of it raining all the time here is more the Overcast-ness that's around all the time half the year. But there's no place I'd rather be or look at then the Puget Sound area when it comes to spring and summer. And I like having seasons, also.

And it definitely doesn't hurt to have all this greenery surrounding us all year long ... which doesn't happen without the rain.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,477 times
Well today was one for the record books! Gorgeous and clear. You could see the Olympics all the way from Sammamish City Hall. The dog park was packed! :0

Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM

195 posts, read 377,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Actually, no, it's not a 50/50 split. If anything, its this kind of mentality that tend to have the people scurrying away because it didn't turn out like they thought it be. It really does tend to be cloudy during this time. That is the norm. This is a weird weather pattern we've been having where it's been dry, clear and sunny. Its weird. Records for December been set because it hardly rain.
Thanks for your (unasked for opinion). Perhaps you will give us all an exact measurement of just how many minutes of sunlight there have been in the last 14 calendar days then.

FWIW I spent 22 years in one of the greyer, rainier parts of England, so I am pretty sure I wont be scurrying away anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area