Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM

277 posts, read 440,311 times

Advertisements

I work at Bellevue Square.. Malls don't close for anything haha. My boss has already let those of us who commute know that she would rather us stay home if it wasn't safe to drive. Especially me since I just came from Florida. I'm at the mall now and it's been sleeting for the past hour or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM

80 posts, read 192,491 times
We've received a light dusting in Magnolia so far. Nothing major, just a little coating on the tops of the cars and a dusting on the ground. I think it's melting now that it's stopped.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
I have to laugh... it's now pretty clear. Blue sky and sunny here!

ETA: Annnnnnd its back to cloudy. Oyyyy

Last edited by Inkpoe; 01-14-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM

579 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Snowed for a couple hours in Ballard, just light dusting, it's almost 2:30 now and completely gone, and it's not even raining now. BUT....at Fred Meyers people were shopping like they were stocking up for a Nor'easter blowing through......

Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,263 times
Out here in the boonies, we had wind and rain all morning, then about 30 seconds of hail, then about 30 seconds of snowflakes ... I guess the weather can't make up it mind! Blue skies to the north, solid grey to the west. I'm not complaining!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,670,834 times
It's been pretty sunny up here, and no snow or anything except at higher elevations. I have seen several cars with a couple of inches of snow on the roofs, though.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 PM

653 posts, read 1,777,436 times
Default Want more snow??

The Puget Sound Convergence Zone is a fascinating weather phenomenon that as expected was in full swing today into thisevening, hence the variability of weather conditions within only a few miles. This is how it will be until Monday afternoon (maybe a brief break late Sunday into Monday AM. before the next disturbance moves in. The convergence zone was cranking north of downtown thisafternoon. Some places outside of Everett has had close to 3 inches in very localized spots, most other places just a dusting.. further away from the sound, east toward places like Marysville and Woodinville.. a good coating is on the ground and some roads have become slick.

Some areas may clear out tonight allowing temperatures in more rural low lying areas fall into the mid 20's.. minor disturbances combined with temperatures around 10F at 6000 feet and down to -36F around 18,000 feet will create an unstable atmosphere. Dramatic, billowing looking clouds may line up in areas just north of downtown Seattle and oscillate between there Bothell, and Mukilteo maybe up to Everett on east into the foothills because of the unstable atmosphere and winds converging in these areas. the result will be brief but intense sleet and snowfalls that may accumulate up to 2 inches in less than an hour. Listen out for a clap of thunder, it's not out of the question anywhere it snows/sleets heavily. Sunday night may quiet down briefly but another system gets cranked up for Monday..

Monday could be interesting, details are sketchy but their is a good chance for snow close to the sound as another minor disturbance comes in. This will be the kind of day where some of you will experience beautiful weather and just a few miles away, it will be snowing and sleeting like crazy. Up to 2 inches are possible in heavier bands of precipitation. Hard to pin down where, but best chances are from Cottage Lake to Lake Stevens on east into the Cascades. Temperatures should stay in the 35-40 during the day, 25-32 at night.. warmest near the water and downtown Seattle.

Tuesday could be a down day as we'll be in between systems, still cold enough aloft for scattered rain/snow showers. High temps. 38-42, Lows 24-30.

Wednesday is the first big storm to move in, this looks like a mess and may initially give a significant amount of snow to the greater Seattle area. Right now, anywhere from an inch or 2 in downtown Seattle to as much as 8 inches in the higher elevations in the Belleview area (near Newcastle and Cougar Mountain) and up east of Everett in the foothills above 1500 feet.. could be potentially close to a foot IF the warmer air aloft doesn't move in right away. There is a chance that some freezing rain may occur as well as warmer air rides up above the colder air at the surface. This will NOT be a good travel day and may be the worst of the days with potential lowland snow. Later that day into Wednesday evening, it should be all rain and their may be alot of it, washing away the snow that does fall. Temps. warming from 30 to near 40 in most places.

Further ahead, temperatures warm up but be ready for frequent stormy periods through next weekend. Overall though, the ski areas will be in for a BIG DUMPING of snow. I'm projecting starting today through the following weekend of at least 3 to 4 feet for the Crystal Mountain ski area and maybe close to 3 feet for Mount Baker. The Olympics will be pounded too. Chain laws WILL be in effect for all mountain passes, especially Wed./Thurs. and next weekend. So, if your a weather enthusiast, you'll sure love this next week.

God how I wish I was there... here in Oklahoma, near 75F for next weekend.. wanna trade places???

Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,777,436 times
In case your not familiar with this link, this was the time lapse for today (Jan. 14) from the UW campus at the Atmospheric Science building. It depicts the cold front coming through, then some pretty dramatic skies as the convergence zone sets up. You'll need a fast connection to enjoy this.. good stuff indeed!

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ove...s/20120114.swf

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,263 times
Snow's falling here! It's lovely!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,670,834 times
It was falling here for a few minutes, but seems to have mostly stopped. Maybe it'll get going again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area