U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM

158 posts, read 260,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Just an FYI, by it's very definition, a Tornado is impossible as far North as Seattle. There was a bit of excitement a few years ago when one touched down near Denver as that was a record for furthest north one has ever been recorded.
... meteorology is not your strong point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 AM

2,224 posts, read 4,551,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Just an FYI, by it's very definition, a Tornado is impossible as far North as Seattle. There was a bit of excitement a few years ago when one touched down near Denver as that was a record for furthest north one has ever been recorded.
There was also a tornado just 2 years ago or so in Vancouver that ripped up a few trees and turned over a few cars and might have even destroyed a building or two.

Did you miss the news coverage?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 PM

178 posts, read 219,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
There was also a tornado just 2 years ago or so in Vancouver that ripped up a few trees and turned over a few cars and might have even destroyed a building or two.

Did you miss the news coverage?
There was a tornado in Edmonton in 1987 that killed 27 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Tornado

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,444,058 times
Extreme weather -
YouTube - Poison Rains Infect Small Town
This was in Oakville WA - when it rained toxic goo ...
Mt Rainier record of snowfall in 24 hours 101 inches

A month ago it was 110 degrees at my house in Thurston county when I left for Alaska!May 5 to July 31 when I left it didn't rain once at my house.. don't know when it started this August.

The wind has increased in my opinion the last couple of years. Hated that wind storm couple of winters ago! I have felt a lighting strike once go up my legs and smell it in the air but hardly any storms like I remember from Montana. Never seen the golf ball size hail.

And if/when Rainier goes - Puget Sound is going to be a hurting unit - it will be ugly.

It will be interesting to see what this winter has in store?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
The National Weather Service did confirm an F1 tornado touchdown in Washington State, it happened in Enumclaw (not too far from Ellensburg). I would say Ellensburg has the best storms here, windstorms in particular.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 589,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post
The National Weather Service did confirm an F1 tornado touchdown in Washington State, it happened in Enumclaw (not too far from Ellensburg). I would say Ellensburg has the best storms here, windstorms in particular.
Enumclaw is close to Ellensburg? When did that happen?

The wind in Ellensburg is the real deal. I'm an alum of CWU. I can recall some punts going for negative yards. Funny stuff.

But even though the winds are high there, the fall storms in Western WA are much scarier. We actually have trees here.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM

79 posts, read 160,083 times
Hope you can handle one more person weighing in on the weather.. We moved from Wisconsin to Washington and were shocked to discover how much we miss thunderstorms. It seems like a silly thing really but when it thunders here (we live near Bellingham) we all run around the house as excited as can be! It has only thundered a few times but the peals of thunder seem to go on for much longer.

It does hail here fairly frequently, it did just 2 days ago, and lots, the deck was totally covered with dime sized hail. It may hail here because we are in the foothills. We have sky lights in our house so the hail is always a little nerve wracking.

We get snow usually 1 - 3 times each winter. It ususally is quite heavy and wet and seems to total between 6-9 inches each time. Again we get a little more because we are in the foothills, when we get 9 inches Bellingham usually gets 2-3. The snow seems to last just under a week each time.

The big thing here that has been different for me has been the winds. In the winter we get what they call pineapple express winds. They are very strong and (in my experience so far) can last for up to 3 days. We live where there are big (BIG) trees and the wind blowing the trees is kind of nerve wracking, I get the same feeling I used to get during midwest lighting and thunder, nervous but excited at the same time. Tornadoes haven't been a worry since we moved here. I haven't missed that at all.

And then there is the rain. Most of the time when it rains it's a misty rain that you don't even need an umbrella for however you do get hard rains too.

One thing you didn't mention in your post was humidity. I HATE humidity. Wisconsin was very humid. There seems to only be about 1 week each summer where humidity is a problem here.

I personally enjoy weather and have enjoyed the weather much more here than I did in Wisconsin. Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 589,157 times
Hey Rocky,

You got room in your suitcase for a bunch of tall black guys? (Throw in a token white guy or two like Nick Collison)

Would you mind bringing our Sonics back. We miss them!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM

461 posts, read 839,976 times
I love a good thunderstorm as well and they are rare here.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM

492 posts, read 578,039 times
Default Which parts of Seattle and surrounding areas are warmest?

Is the temperature in areas such as Bellevue or South Seattle or other such places slightly warmer than the temperature in downtown Seattle? Do some areas of Seattle and the surrounding areas get slightly less rain?

Also, is heating always available when you rent an apartment? Do you need heating if the temperature is 60F like at the moment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area