U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM

26,682 posts, read 21,855,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh that's not bad at all. Only about 30-40 minutes different than in the Bay Area actually. I guess the overcast skies make it seem earlier? I've had my share of that too. Thanks for educating me on this aspect. It's certainly not as bad as the doom laden warnings of darkness I've read suggest.
You're welcome. It gets dark earlier than most places in the winter, but it isn't Alaska dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,393,841 times
(temporarily closed ...thread clean up and merging. some posts that are designated 'deleted' will possibly be reinstated in a merged thread)

Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,470 times
Hi Lior Arel,
Thanks for this post. Like you I think I would feel very comfortable in Seattle's rainy and gray weather. I grew up in Florida but I've lived in New York for the past 10 years and I love the winters there. I am planning on moving to the Seattle area within the next two years. To be sure that I really can stand the weather I am going to visit for a few weeks in the winter. That should clear things up!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM

24 posts, read 27,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia77 View Post
The northwest will be perfect for me, I can't wait to leave the humidity behind. Besides the weather, everything about the Northwest is perfect for me. I know I will be tired of the rainy days at some points but it can't be any worse than how freakin hot it is here!
You won't be leaving the humidity behind, it's really humid in Seattle. Moss, mold and mildew are everywhere. Right now (10:17 pm, July 1st, 2010) it is 56* Fahrenheit with 89% humidity.

The constant drizzle, overcast conditions and the fact there is water everywhere leads to high humidity. The difference is that instead of being hot and humid, it's cold and humid. 80 degrees in Seattle feels pretty good, but much higher and it can sometimes get a bit muggy.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,791,623 times
I guess I would never describe Seattle as humid but I grew up in the Midwest and then lived in Texas 12 years where humidity is rampant. Hotter in the summer and much colder in the winter relative to the real temperature because of the humidity. I also lived in Colorado so I do know what dry feels like as well. Doesn't feel the least bit humid here to me...in fact I don't think I have ever thought "hmm, it's humid today". Maybe it's because with 56 degrees, 80% humidity just makes it feel colder...not a sticky humid as someone from Florida might connotate "humid" to mean.

And really in the summer, it might hit 80 but at 5 o clock which is the hottest part of the day and according to this chart, that is the least humid part of the day.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Again, I grew up in the Midwest where it was 85 degrees with 95% humidity in the summer. You would walk out the door and drip in seconds...literally. So as in any comparison, it's all relative to your experience.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM

4,810 posts, read 4,897,759 times
To suzan: Seattle can have sunny weather in the winter. I dont know why some people make it sound like Seattle can never have sunny weather in the winter just like how some people make it sound like Seattle doesnt ever have any cloudy/rainy days in the summer.

I also dont understand why some make it sound like its only possible July-August where Seattle can be consistently sunny. And they also forget that September is technically a summer month. It is just that its much more likely that Seattle is more sunnier in the Summer(July-September) than the other months, but other months can actually be as sunny as the summer, depending on the year. It just shows how people can have misconceptions about the weather here.

This past December 2009, Late February 2010, and most of March had times when it was consistently sunny.

This May and June was cloudier this year than December 2009! This was a record cloudy/wet May and June while it was a record dry/sunny December 2009.

December 2009:There were 8 days in December with sunny sky conditions, 11 days with partly cloudy sky(Partly cloudy almost always ends up feeling like a sunny day) conditions, and 12 days with cloudy sky conditions.
May 2010: There were 4 days in May with sunny sky conditions, seven days with partly cloudy sky conditions, and 20 days with cloudy sky conditions.
June 2010: There were 13 days in June with partly cloudy sky conditions, 1 day with sunny sky conditions, and 16 days with cloudy sky conditions.
http://www.beautifulseattle.com/mthsum.asp

The May before There were 7 in May with sunny sky conditions, 17 with partly cloudy sky conditions, and 7 days with cloudy sky conditions.

Its just that in the winter, there are shorter daylight hours, its usually colder, and most people have more school and work time, so I think most or all people here prefer most of the sunny days to be late fall-early spring like myself. However, some of the best mountain/nature scenery I saw within Seattle itself was actually the sunnier winter days.

Either way, Im sure you'll enjoy Seattle! I also went from New York to Seattle and have enjoyed my move. Seattle is MUCH more than some stereotypes it has.

The Seattle weather stereotypes bother me quite a bit, as well as some other stereotypes.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-02-2010 at 12:07 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM

5,518 posts, read 6,215,164 times
NUB, you haven't yet experience the true Seattle winter. Just wait til this coming winter and you'll see what everyone was talking about. You moved here only a few months ago during an El Niño winter. The El Niño gives us great winters and you fortunately got to experience that. Look up the effects of El Niño on the PNW and you'll see what I mean.

As for the humidity, it's never bothersome here. During the summer when we have the heat stretch (where it gets to the 90s--- UGH, but at least it's usually one week or less), the only real problem is that there's hardly any wind for some reason. Most houses aren't equipt with A/C, but luckily we got a lot of watering holes and can even go hiking in the shades.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 AM

Inkpoe:

I think I made some objective good points about how there are some misconceptions about Seattle's weather/climate. You dont agree? The Pacific Northwest seems like a very misunderstood climate, as well as for Seattle. Those misconceptions need to go away. I dont want too many people to think that the Pacific Northwest has a horrible weather/climate, because the truth is, there are many great things about it.

Im sure Ill have the same attitude when I deal with cloudier winter months. Actually this May was as cloudy as some of the cloudiest winter months.

Yes, it can be cloudy and wet here, but it can also be sunnier, and not just in July-September. Almost any month of the year in Seattle can have consistent sunny weather outside July-September, just like almost any month can have cloudy weather, and this is even true with Seattle's summers. July-September isnt always as sunny as people think based on statistics. And yes, most people need be able to enjoy clouds and rain at least sometimes to be here, but most of these people also like sunshine(Like me).

And Seattle can technically have "great weather" any time of the year. Not just the summers.

Seattle Climate Data Seattle climate data 1998-2010

Since I moved here in February 2010, I have enjoyed the weather most days here except for some days in Late May, Early June, and Late June. Im sure there will be some days where I wont necessarily "like" the weather here, but there will be plenty of days I'll like it/love it, such as around 80% of the time. The other times I'll just focus on what I love about being here.

I actually loved the weather today( for July 1), but it better get sunnier and warmer soon. If it doesnt, I might stop defending Seattle's weather/climate.
I actually wanted it to rain more today, and for it to be even colder, before it getting sunnier and warmer, so all the rain this place needs got dumped on all at once, so there didnt need to be more cloudy/rainy days anytime soon.

If you live here, I assume you must like rainy/cloudy weather at least sometimes.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-02-2010 at 12:48 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 02:25 AM

5,518 posts, read 6,215,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
If it doesnt, I might stop defending Seattle's weather/climate.
Oh, but NUB... you have to realize it's one the joy of being a Seattleite . Let everyone presume whatever they want about the Seattle weather; its OUR grand and best kept secret.

I've always liked it whenever I visit somewhere else and they talk about the rain. They always presume that Seattle gets this hardcore down pour. I get such a huge kick when I tell them, nope Seattle doesn't really get rain like this. It's like their face just drops and confusion ensues. People just don't realize other cities get way more (uglier) rain than Seattle does. My childhood friend moved to Brooklyn NYC and says the rain there is so disgusting (apparently rains hard and its humid, nothing fresh about it) and that the NY'ers don't get what he means, but they think he's weird and wrong about NY getting more rain than Seattle does .

If you do want to be like Don Quixote charging to defend the Seattle weather (true) preeminence, the true source of misinformation isn't C-D. It's actually Hollywood. I can't think of one "Seattle-based" movie where they didn't perpetuate the image of rainy Seattle. Though out of all the movies I've seen, I think "The Ring" did a better job of showing the overcast/rainy loveliness of Seattle. Actually... I recently re-watched "Harry and the Hendersons"... I have to say, you would've thought Seattle was sunny all the time (though, what a weird movie).

Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 AM

Why do you think Seattle got this rain and cloud reputation, while places like Vancouver(BC) and Portland, Oregon can be just as cloudy and rainy and dont have that reputation as much!? There are many places and cities in the world that can get a lot of clouds and rain too.

For one example Hong Kong, China, a city of 7 million gets more than double Seattle's rain per year(100 inches!)! And most of it seems to fall in thunderstorms.

You are right that the way Seattle gets the rain can be nice compared to how other places get rain, such as in thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms. Seattle almost never gets the rain like that.

I think New York City on average gets like 10 more inches of precipitation than Seattle per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area