Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 12:13 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times

Advertisements

Ah missed that one. I absolutley LOVE snow but yea... seattle need be more prepared for it than they have been in the past. 2008 showed just how ill prepared we are around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Ah missed that one. I absolutley LOVE snow but yea... seattle need be more prepared for it than they have been in the past. 2008 showed just how ill prepared we are around here.
The reason I remember that is because I remember WHEN it snowed in 2008. I was checking my email and I saw an article about it snowing in the Seattle area. What got to me was the fact it was April, and not early April either.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

38 posts, read 138,010 times
I live just outside of washington dc. and not only are our winters way worse but our summers are nothing but glaring sun and humidity i love cloudy warm days and a little bit of rain keeps it cool i say anyone in Seattle should feel lucky that they have clouds and rain.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
I live just outside of washington dc. and not only are our winters way worse but our summers are nothing but glaring sun and humidity i love cloudy warm days and a little bit of rain keeps it cool i say anyone in Seattle should feel lucky that they have clouds and rain.
I'd probably rather have Seattle weather than Washington DC weather (at least in the winter (absolutely!!!) - not ENTIRELY sure about the summer (even with the humidity back there) - but I'd rather have SE Arizona weather than either - and as soon as we sell our house, we will.

Ken

Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Default Relocation

Hi Everyone:

I am moving to the Seattle area in March 2011 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I have two whippets.

I am concerned about how the weather will affect myself and my dogs. I am over the heat and humidity and the hurricane scares. Everyone keeps telling me it rains all the time and is cloudy most of the year. Cold and damp seems to be the theme.

I am looking for some input as to what is really true as to quality of life issues concerning the weather. Remember, I am from Florida all my life, so I really have no clue. For instance, is it muddy and wet all the time? How cold is cold? Are there any nice days? What are the worst months and how does that look?

Thanks for your help.

Hansel and Gretel are my whippets. They really do not like to get wet, this is another concern. How is it for the dogs?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanselandgretel View Post

Hansel and Gretel are my whippets. They really do not like to get wet, this is another concern. How is it for the dogs?
Your dogs don't like to get wet? I don't think they are going to enjoy Seattle!

Topaz

Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanselandgretel View Post
Hi Everyone:

I am moving to the Seattle area in March 2011 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I have two whippets.

I am concerned about how the weather will affect myself and my dogs. I am over the heat and humidity and the hurricane scares. Everyone keeps telling me it rains all the time and is cloudy most of the year. Cold and damp seems to be the theme.

I am looking for some input as to what is really true as to quality of life issues concerning the weather. Remember, I am from Florida all my life, so I really have no clue. For instance, is it muddy and wet all the time? How cold is cold? Are there any nice days? What are the worst months and how does that look?

Thanks for your help.

Seattle area is a dog haven. Florida wet isn't the same as Washington wet. I don't blame them for not liking wet in Florida. It really pours over there (and btw, I believe it rains more in FL's cities than it does in WA's).

I knew someone who had a whippet, and he always enjoyed the West Seattle dog park.

Since your dogs need to be properly acclimated, just keep in mind we do have doggie sweaters, vest, raincoats and booties if that's just the sort of thing you like to do. Or... your dogs could just tough it out.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
It is not muddy and wet all the time. There are a lot of nice days, and Hansel and Gretel will get used to it. Sometimes you have to figure out when it will be less rainy, and try to take the dogs out then, but a lot of times it's just cloudy or barely drizzling. The Seattle area does have a bunch of dog parks, some of which are really big. Marymoor in Redmond is doggie Disneyland, Magnuson in Seattle has a dog swimming beach, Westcrest in West Seattle has a nice loop trail, Grandview around the Kent/SeaTac border is a friendly and fun place. Renton has a new and popular offleash area, and there are plenty of others too. There's a lot of happy dogs around here, and even a couple of bars that allow them.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM

579 posts, read 1,210,158 times
I can't WAIT till next summer when we move to Seattle. In Vegas we just finally broke 137 days straight of no rain, with get this, 1/100ths of an inch......pathetic. And we broke some record this summer with over 30 consecutive days that wouldn't go below 100 degrees. We have to walk our poor dogs at night so they don't burn their little paw pads. The problem is our monsoon season is in July/August, when we usually get our rain....but it bipassed us for Arizona and we just had a month straight of hot humidity and 105-115 degree temps.......They say it's a dry heat, but it was actually pretty humid and even a dry heat at 115 isn't comfortable, especially when it's still in the 90s at midnight. We stayed in Seattle for a week this summer and had such a beautiful time. My children have always hated summers and kids here have a hard time finding indoor things to do. It'll be such a change to be able to play outside in the summer and enjoy the vacation for once.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I can't WAIT till next summer when we move to Seattle. In Vegas we just finally broke 137 days straight of no rain, with get this, 1/100ths of an inch......pathetic. And we broke some record this summer with over 30 consecutive days that wouldn't go below 100 degrees. We have to walk our poor dogs at night so they don't burn their little paw pads. The problem is our monsoon season is in July/August, when we usually get our rain....but it bipassed us for Arizona and we just had a month straight of hot humidity and 105-115 degree temps.......They say it's a dry heat, but it was actually pretty humid and even a dry heat at 115 isn't comfortable, especially when it's still in the 90s at midnight. We stayed in Seattle for a week this summer and had such a beautiful time. My children have always hated summers and kids here have a hard time finding indoor things to do. It'll be such a change to be able to play outside in the summer and enjoy the vacation for once.
Just be aware that you'll be trading "not being able to play outside in the summer" to "not being able to play outside in much of the winter/spring/fall" - at least if they are expecting it to do it and still be dry. You'll also have the occasional summer - like this one - where it'll be pretty drippy through the summer as well.

Don't get me wrong - it's beautiful here, but it's most certainly cool and damp for a majority of the year and the summer season can feel pretty darned short.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area